is it just me, or did they change how the sword works?

arachnophilia

i noticed this the day the dashboard updated to NXE. i thought it was a lag issue at first... but... i can't win a sword fight anymore.

we used to play team swords in custom games a lot, and i'd do pretty well. not spectacular, but not horrible, either. this one kid i play with... he'd just get owned. repeatedly, and brutally.

but now, sword locks seem to be happening a lot less frequently, and when i block a sword hit, or swing at about the same time someone else does, i just die. even if my sword is mid-swing when they hit me -- i can't seem to block anymore. and i'm generally hosting, so i should have any advantage, right? but fights now seem to be won on the first, unblockable hit more frequently than not. and that kid who kept getting owned does pretty well all of a sudden -- and the guy i'd always lose to isn't so great anymore either.

has anybody else noticed this? is it just me, or my connection? i can't find anything about an update or anything on bungie.net...

It could be your connection?

Have you changed it recently?

no. but my connection is sometimes fruity. it felt like lag at first, but we'd go right to another gametype afterwards, such as swat, and it played perfectly normally. it's consistent with the swords -- and everyone else in the game noticed it too.

Are you using B or right trigger.. or mixing it up? It could just be a timing issue on your part. How many times (games) has this happened? Maybe you just got unlucky.

like i said, i used to be pretty good at swords. i mix up R and B, and generally know when to use each. had a few rather awesome fails when i hit B and should have pulled R, but that doesn't seem to be what's happening.

it's normal B-melee heavy combat, where my sword just fails to hit when i'm hitting B, and the lunge or melee of the opponent just kills me, in instances where we'd normally lock, and my quick thumb would generally win the fight.

and it's consistent, every sword game since the update. no timing issues in any other games.