Anyone else sick of Europeans making fun of North Americans for not liking soccer?

Assasin13

Pot. Kettle. Black

Don't quite know if that's true, as when I say I have no interest in watching a rugby match it's only because I really don't like any sports. I wouldn't want to watch an American football match any more than a rugby match, if that makes you feel better.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't quite know if that's true, as when I say I have no interest in watching a rugby match it's only because I really don't like any sports. I wouldn't want to watch an American football match any more than a rugby match, if that makes you feel better.

Yet here you are on a thread discussing a SPORTS game. And judging by your original post you were obviously quite worked up about the OP and the responses he got.

Please stop posting that the US beat England at the World Cup - it was a draw, and it was only that because our goalie let in what can only be described as a complete howler.

The fact that after that game a bunch of US newspapers had headlines like WE WIN! is why so many English people have the attitude they do. If the big papers in the US cannot even grasp that a draw is NOT a win then what hope is there?

As for the whole football vs soccer thing I'm not even going to comment.

The reason for newspapers saying WE WIN! doesn't have to refer to winning the game. You are simply looking at what the title says and not what it means. The tie was a huge win for supporters of soccer in America. And yes, i said soccer. The sport is still the same regardless of what you call it. You say tomato, i say tomato. oh wait, its still ******* tomato. get over it.

Yet here you are on a thread discussing a SPORTS game. And judging by your original post you were obviously quite worked up about the OP and the responses he got.

Kinda hard not to be about this subject. This European elitism is present in every corner of the internet. Making generalizations about ALL Americans based off the poor choices of a few idiots is what makes me slightly angry. Sports, politics, it doesn't matter the subject.

Despite living in Oklahoma, USA, i am not a fat, lazy, gun-toting, god-fearing inbred redneck like you'd probably like to believe.

Not sure if that last part is relevant in this discussion, but I thought i'd throw it out there anyway.

Kinda hard not to be about this subject. This European elitism is present in every corner of the internet. Making generalizations about ALL Americans based off the poor choices of a few idiots is what makes me slightly angry. Sports, politics, it doesn't matter the subject.

Despite living in Oklahoma, USA, i am not a fat, lazy, gun-toting, god-fearing inbred redneck like you'd probably like to believe.

Not sure if that last part is relevant in this discussion, but I thought i'd throw it out there anyway.

You wanna go on about elitism.

You lot think the world ends at the mexican and canadian boarders. Think the sun shines out of the statue of Libertys Arse. And have the gall to say we speak funny. You speak our language you idiot. Therefore by default we speak correctly and your the ones that sound like your the result of two first cousins going too far. Your from oklahoma you should know about that stuff.

You have been using the same insults at us for decades - tea drinking, crumpet eating brittisZZZZZZZZZ - its so boring. You claim not to be retarded but with comments like this, the ridiculousness of the opening post and the fact im yet to come across one of you that can string together a sentence without using the words fag, fuck, dude or douchebag. I would have to agree with the rest of the world. You cant even say Iraq right.

Im still yet to discover why someone who hates sport was on a sporting page in the first place.

Face it culley, your country is a joke.

Im off to have queen with the tea now. Toodle pip.

Edited by Morbido

You lot think the world ends at the mexican and canadian boarders. Think the sun shines out of the statue of Libertys Arse. And have the gall to say we speak funny. You speak our language you idiot. Therefore by default we speak correctly and your the ones that sound like your the result of two first cousins going too far. Your from oklahoma you should know about that stuff.

You have been using the same insults at us for decades - tea drinking, crumpet eating brittisZZZZZZZZZ - its so boring. You claim not to be retarded but with comments like this, the ridiculousness of the opening post and the fact im yet to come across one of you that can string together a sentence without using the words fag, fuck, dude or douchebag. I would have to agree with the rest of the world. You cant even say Iraq right.

Im still yet to discover why someone who hates sport was on a sporting page in the first place.

simply stunning

I think you've proved my point quite nicely. Saying that all Americans do all of these things is just downright retarded.

I acknowledge and welcome immigration, i've never said anything about your language, and I don't spew old stereotypes.

Not one of my posts in this thread contain the words fag, fuck, dude, or douchebag.

There are geniuses and idiots in every country, not just America, and your little comment about Oklahoma and cousins, and basically your attitude in general, shows me that you are part of the latter.

I was in a sporting section because I believe I browse forums differently than some people. I don't go to individual sections, but use the "New Posts" button at the top to see new posts in a variety of sections.

Say hello to the Queen for me. I'm off to watch Nascar with my friends in the trailer park.

Any of you guys realise that it's only the idiots that care about any of this? Like your sport, follow your sport, play your sport, support your team and bash your rivals, you should be happy more people actually like your sport.

Not everyone in England thinks Americans are too retarded to understand/play football (soccer), and not all Americans think us English guys are too retarded for American football.

BTW, don't let the avatar fool you, I'm 100% English.

Edited by WogDogg

At the end of the day a lot of English people love football and so do a lot of Americans, it's the same game in both countries but we call it two different names, in England you're told to call it football and in America you're told to call it soccer, the only difference is with the words associated with the game and we're two different countries so why should we force eachother to use certain words when they all mean the same thing anyway.

Edited by LThompson6

Hmm well I am pretty sure that my post did not include the words that you say you have never heard an American be able to say a sentence without using so that pretty much makes your comment invalid. Also in saying that us Americans are idiots who don't respect people from around the world you have just done the exact same thing you accuse us of doing. Well enjoy your queen with the tea now."Toodle pip?" Hmm funny words.

Ahh the irony of this post. You claim that Americans say, "Iraq" improperly, while concurrently declaring Americans to be "elitists".

By the same token, spend a few hours in British lobbies on Call of Duty and all you'll hear is, "Bollocks! Wanker! Bloody Yank!" and a slew of slang words that are quite un-"safe".

Not one of my posts in this thread contain the words fag, fuck, dude, or douchebag.

The fact is that soccer is now a widely accepted alternative name to your sport, and you should probably just get the fuck over it.

Says it all about your intelligence.

Hmm well I am pretty sure that my post did not include the words that you say you have never heard an American be able to say a sentence without using so that pretty much makes your comment invalid. Also in saying that us Americans are idiots who don't respect people from around the world you have just done the exact same thing you accuse us of doing. Well enjoy your queen with the tea now."Toodle pip?" Hmm funny words.

Your right I have just done the same. But as you were bitching that Europeans didn't take you seriously when it came to football, then preceded to give us two facts that were both false. Its impossible to respect someone like you.

Ahh the irony of this post. You claim that Americans say, "Iraq" improperly, while concurrently declaring Americans to be "elitists".

By the same token, spend a few hours in British lobbies on Call of Duty and all you'll hear is, "Bollocks! Wanker! Bloody Yank!" and a slew of slang words that are quite un-"safe".

Not sure what your point is. Also dont know what un-"safe" means. Is it a make of sneaker?

Then apparently you don't even know British English then. You would understand that phrase if you did.

So basically, you're just a troll.

I know what unsafe means. Dont know what it means with the speech marks.

If its slang for something that im not aware of that instantly makes me a troll, does it?

You are honestly not doing yourself any favours when it comes to our opinions of your intelligence.

In this instance, the quotation marks are used to show the use of a word in a manner that is not of normal American lexicon.

i.e., "unsafe" means something different than un-"safe".

This is fundamental English grammar, broseph.

But to get back on topic...Can't wait for fifa 12.

Edited by MxPx

On why your mocked -

Teams with stupid gimmick names

No promotion/relegation

Calling kits, uniforms/jerseys

Absurd commentary - Man City Vs Ny red bulls in a friendly before the start of the 10/11 season was an embarrassment

Calling squads rosters

Using the word franchise

Ok if these are the reasons we are mocked then that is stupid.

Ok for teams with stupid gimmick names. What's wrong with that? If we enjoy giving our teams names so what? Some of them don't even have names anyways. For example Real Salt Lake doesn't have a name other than just that. Also over in Europe I am pretty sure there are teams such as the Amsterdam "Ajax" and Manchester United are often called the Red Devil so ya that is a pretty stupid reason.

Also what is wrong with no promotion/relegation? As a young footballing nation we do not have the means to be able to do this as it would pretty much kill the sport and besides this is how we have done our sports since the begginiing of us having sports, be it baseball, American football, basketball, or hockey.

Next, for us calling kits uniforms/jerseys let me get this straight. A kit is the combination of the top, shorts, and socks. While a jersey or shirt is just the top which us here in America be it any sport usually buy/wear. we don't walk around with our baseball jerseys, pants, socks, and belts and say to one another hey nice kit you got there. No we generally just wear the jersey. Here is a link to show that even in the UK the top is not called a kit http://www.uksoccershop.com/ Oh wait what was that? The UK shop is called soccer shop and yes everything is in pounds not dollars. AKA not an American shop

Next for the absurd commentary. The commentary is actually rather good here in America, at least our ESPN coverage which is the big sports station as well as my local teams commentator is good. Whereas Fox's coverage which was probably covering that match is a joke and I can't stand them. During pregame of the UEFA Champions League Final they said well this match is a much bigger event than the NFL regular season game here at Wembley a few months ago. Well no duh!!!!!!!! I guess that's what you get for putting NFL guys on the coverage oh well at least our other stations are good.

For calling squads rosters, I don't think I have ever heard and American call a squad a roster be it a regular person or a broadcaster they always have called them squads. Even during Fox's coverage of the UEFA Champions League Final.

Finally for using the word Franchise, it is the same as calling squads rosters, we actually call them clubs thank you very much. Even my team, Seattle Sounders FC uses the term club, hence the FC which means football club.

So there you go. Now lets see why else should they not like soccer or football whatever you want to call it. Oh because they weren't willing to switch the name of a popular American sport football so they can change the name of soccer to football due to the fact that Europeans call it that. Well lets see I'm pretty sure American football fans would be pretty pissed about that.

Well anyways goodbye.

Edited by Assasin13

Despite it being internationally recognized as "football" around the world and it's referred to as "soccer" in America is why people conceive Americans arrogant towards the game, oh and MLS...

while I've got nothing against Americans who watch and love the game.. there are a lot of people over there who make the game look like a joke. Most popular sport in the world too might I add to justify the last sentence.

It's the same over here people call it soccer, annoys me especially when I read the word "soccer" in the newspaper..

oh and what cracked me up is that they spelled, in a popular newspaper, "Tottenham" "Tottingham" over here. australia and america aren't, in the near future, gonna be footballing nations.

if nfl (god such a boring sport :/) became popular in England it'd be exactly the same.. just americans conceiving english people as idiots.

if nfl (god such a boring sport :/) became popular in England it'd be exactly the same.. just americans conceiving english people as idiots.

Oh my god!!!! An American just insulted soccer!!!! Lets go blast him!!!! Oh but by the way the NFL sucks.

Ok if these are the reasons we are mocked then that is stupid.

Ok for teams with stupid gimmick names. What's wrong with that? If we enjoy giving our teams names so what? Some of them don't even have names anyways. For example Real Salt Lake doesn't have a name other than just that. Also over in Europe I am pretty sure there are teams such as the Amsterdam "Ajax" and Manchester United are often called the Red Devil so ya that is a pretty stupid reason.

Also what is wrong with no promotion/relegation? As a young footballing nation we do not have the means to be able to do this as it would pretty much kill the sport and besides this is how we have done our sports since the begginiing of us having sports, be it baseball, American football, basketball, or hockey.

Next, for us calling kits uniforms/jerseys let me get this straight. A kit is the combination of the top, shorts, and socks. While a jersey or shirt is just the top which us here in America be it any sport usually buy/wear. we don't walk around with our baseball jerseys, pants, socks, and belts and say to one another hey nice kit you got there. No we generally just wear the jersey. Here is a link to show that even in the UK the top is not called a kit http://www.uksoccershop.com/ Oh wait what was that? The UK shop is called soccer shop and yes everything is in pounds not dollars. AKA not an American shop

Next for the absurd commentary. The commentary is actually rather good here in America, at least our ESPN coverage which is the big sports station as well as my local teams commentator is good. Whereas Fox's coverage which was probably covering that match is a joke and I can't stand them. During pregame of the UEFA Champions League Final they said well this match is a much bigger event than the NFL regular season game here at Wembley a few months ago. Well no duh!!!!!!!! I guess that's what you get for putting NFL guys on the coverage oh well at least our other stations are good.

For calling squads rosters, I don't think I have ever heard and American call a squad a roster be it a regular person or a broadcaster they always have called them squads. Even during Fox's coverage of the UEFA Champions League Final.

Finally for using the word Franchise, it is the same as calling squads rosters, we actually call them clubs thank you very much. Even my team, Seattle Sounders FC uses the term club, hence the FC which means football club.

So there you go. Now lets see why else should they not like soccer or football whatever you want to call it. Oh because they weren't willing to switch the name of a popular American sport football so they can change the name of soccer to football due to the fact that Europeans call it that. Well lets see I'm pretty sure American football fans would be pretty pissed about that.

Well anyways goodbye.

You make some fair points. It might have taken you nearly a week, but good job.

I will just say that what is a Sounder? Because names like this really dont help you. Also having teams named after energy drinks is ridiculous, (NY Red Bulls). Because as there is little to no history in your sports when Red Bull decide to stop sponsoring NY they will have to change their name.

Teams in the UK have over 100 years of history. Never move town/city, never change name and dont constantly re-name their stadiums. It is because of these things, basically a mirror opposite to what goes on in the states that make football the sport it is.

Also every team has a nickname. Man united are called the red devils as 99% of their fans will burn for being glory hunters. Just kidding, i have no idea why they are called that.

Look I, like many still dont like you lot calling it soccer. That would have been adverted if when american football was invented you had called it something original and more appropriate. But thats in the past. Like ive said before I dont care if the majority of your country doesn't like it. What pisses me off is ill-informed opinions and people like the three cunts who are making a fool out of themselves on the latest Fifa news page available on this sites homepage.

Despite it being internationally recognized as "football" around the world and it's referred to as "soccer" in America is why people conceive Americans arrogant towards the game, oh and MLS...

while I've got nothing against Americans who watch and love the game.. there are a lot of people over there who make the game look like a joke. Most popular sport in the world too might I add to justify the last sentence.

It's the same over here people call it soccer, annoys me especially when I read the word "soccer" in the newspaper..

oh and what cracked me up is that they spelled, in a popular newspaper, "Tottenham" "Tottingham" over here. australia and america aren't, in the near future, gonna be footballing nations.

Well now you're just arguing semantics. Does it anger you when the French refer to Germany as "Allemagne"?

Sounds like a lot of you guys just got your butt hurt than your only real sport is Soccer. What else you got over there? Polo? Badminton? Rugby is chill...but a dead sport.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching soccer quite much. But sounds like you guys need some new competition. Get some hockey going over there.

http://inventors.about.com/od/fstartinventions/a/HistoryFootball.htm

Edited by MxPx

I will just say that what is a Sounder? Because names like this really dont help you. Also having teams named after energy drinks is ridiculous, (NY Red Bulls). Because as there is little to no history in your sports when Red Bull decide to stop sponsoring NY they will have to change their name.

Teams in the UK have over 100 years of history. Never move town/city, never change name and dont constantly re-name their stadiums. It is because of these things, basically a mirror opposite to what goes on in the states that make football the sport it is.

Also every team has a nickname. Man united are called the red devils as 99% of their fans will burn for being glory hunters. Just kidding, i have no idea why they are called that.

Look I, like many still dont like you lot calling it soccer. That would have been adverted if when american football was invented you had called it something original and more appropriate. But thats in the past. Like ive said before I dont care if the majority of your country doesn't like it. What pisses me off is ill-informed opinions and people like the three cunts who are making a fool out of themselves on the latest Fifa news page available on this sites homepage.

I will just say what is a Hotspur? Because names like this don't really help you.

The Red Bulls will either return to the name they held for the first 10 years of their existence, the Metro Stars, or acquire a new name.

A. Professional football has only existed for about 50 years. Sorry we haven't been playing the same sport for the past 500 years, but we were kinda doing more important things like fighting wars, building a government, etc. We've only really truly been settled down as a nation since WWII, once we so graciously protected your nation from certain destruction. =X

A Sounder is a person who is from the Puget Sound which is where Seattle is located. We even have a fast transportation train called the Sounder that runs through our area. As for the New York Red Bulls, I completely agree with you, having your team named after an energy drink is just plain stupid when they could have named their team something like I don't know say the New York Liberty or something like that. Also for stadium name changes, a lot of our stadiums have had the same name for decades even over a century such as Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, and Yankee Stadium. For us our more famous stadiums are our baseball fields as it shares a similar gloried past as soccer or football has over there in Europe. Our soccer stadiums currently haven't had enough time to get famous and I am afraid none ever will get the chance as it is kind of late for that to ever happen.

A. Professional football has only existed for about 50 years. Sorry we haven't been playing the same sport for the past 500 years, but we were kinda doing more important things like fighting wars, building a government, etc. We've only really truly been settled down as a nation since WWII, once we so graciously protected your nation from certain destruction. =X

And then you say something like that to make yourself look retarded again.

I think the interest for soccer is rising in the US. The national team became very good like we've seen at the World Cup or Gold Cup. Of course, this sport isn't so popular in the US like others. It's more the opposite, I have big respect for how good the Major League in the US became and the National Team. I also like the playing style of players like Donovan or Dempsey. But I never hear someone making jokes of the americans for not liking soccer. Seems like a british habbit.

When we play FIFA 11, we often change through couple of leagues and we often take Teams from Major League Soccer or the US National Team. Of course not as often like Teams from Germany, Spain, England or so, but I play often enough with L.A. Galaxy ^^

Edited by Storm Cobra