Fez II Cancelled

Ryot Control

It may be coming from Yahoo, but its got some interesting notes in the writing.

The news came shortly after a massive Twitter fight with writer Marcus Beer, who took aim at Fish during a segment on GameTrailer's Invisible Walls. Beer lashed out at Fish and fellow indie designer Jonathan Blow for voicing objections to press inquiries about Microsoft's reversal on its Xbox One indie game self-publishing rules.

"Gents," he said. "You were the guys who did Indie Game: the Movie. And some of you looked relatively normal in it, one of you looked like a total tosspot in it. But you can't have it both ways. You're successful game designers — you're 'indie' game designers — hurrah, good for you, you f****** hipsters."

Beer's harsh comments struck a nerve with Fish, who demanded an apology via Twitter, getting progressively more upset as others replied.

The exchange ended with Fish announcing he was canceling the recently announced game, then locking his Twitter account. Since then, Fish’s development studio Polytron has posted this message to its fans:

"FEZ II is cancelled. i am done. i take the money and i run. this is as much as i can stomach. this is isn’t the result of any one thing, but the end of a long, bloody campaign. you win."

Fish has confirmed the cancellation with several news outlets as well.

Full article in http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/fez-2-cancelled-twitter-blowout-174847836.html

I'll be honest though, I never could finish the first because I got bored. But I don't know who is trolling who to get to the straw who broke the camel's back.

I'm more surprised by how all that escalated the way it did at all. Before the news, never even heard of Phil Fish, his development team nor of Marcus Beer. And because of that, I can only go by what I read in the above post...

First time I ever heard of a game developer cancel a game and quit the industry soon after just because of what a gaming critic from the internet said... a critic I have never in my life heard of before. I'm not gonna jump to conclusions about Beer because he's not that well-known to me.

Fish, well, never heard of him either, but the game Fez sounds familiar, though I never played it (heard it has a game-breaking bug). But I guess I'll never know what Fez II will be like either. No loss to me here.

Personally I thought both Fish & Beer were just being immature about the whole thing. No one person is at fault for what happened, but I'd like to think that both critics & developers were more professional than that, but I suppose not. But then again, no one's perfect.

I don’t know how many of you guys watched Indie Game: The Movie but if you have you’ll notice that Phil Fish seemed very sensitive about his work. In many ways I can’t blame him. If I were put my heart and soul into something I would expect objective criticism back. Which leads me to think how bad the criticism is becoming.

There aren't many credible critics in the game industry anymore. Everyone and their grandmother thinks they’re a game journalist. Just look at YouTube its full one minded kids who get thousands of hits spewing out bullshit and hate. And worst part is some of the professional game journalist and following point just to try to get back lost viewers. See there used to be some class when it came to being a critic. You did have to call people a “tosspot” or a “fucking hipster” to make a point but now everything is a free for all for views. It really saddens me that gaming journalism is turning this way.

Edited by quickhhh

First time I ever heard of a game developer cancel a game and quit the industry soon after just because of what a gaming critic from the internet said... a critic I have never in my life heard of before. I'm not gonna jump to conclusions about Beer because he's not that well-known to me.

Beer is a notorious asshole.

Personally I thought both Fish & Beer were just being immature about the whole thing. No one person is at fault for what happened, but I'd like to think that both critics & developers were more professional than that, but I suppose not. But then again, no one's perfect.

Yep, both of them were being losers and Phil Fish ended up cancelling Fez 2. Hurray!

Beer is a notorious asshole.

Yep, both of them were being losers and Phil Fish ended up cancelling Fez 2. Hurray!

Which is why I don't take very much stock on what's written by reviewers & game critics anymore, and I hadn't done so for years. What transpired between Beer & Fish confirms what I already knew all along about gaming journalism -- they'll say anything just to get attention & notoriety nowadays. Man I miss the old days of Nintendo Power, PSM, & Electronic Gaming Monthly.

Which is why I don't take very much stock on what's written by reviewers & game critics anymore, and I hadn't done so for years. What transpired between Beer & Fish confirms what I already knew all along about gaming journalism -- they'll say anything just to get attention & notoriety nowadays. Man I miss the old days of Nintendo Power, PSM, & Electronic Gaming Monthly.

How hard is it to just ignore him though? Like really?

I'd like to think that it's not hard to ignore them, and to me anyway, it's not hard. But tell that to all the countless critics, ranters, and self-proclaimed game journalists. What they do reminds me of what Garrus Vakarian in Mass Effect 3 once said, "Bark loud enough and eventually someone will come see what the fuss is about." And more or less, that's what I think they're doing pretty much -- barking.

How hard is it to just ignore him though? Like really?

Ooh! Ooh! Let me try!

{channels Beer}

"Fish has been ignoring my statements because he knows it's true. His failure to address his own failings is just indicative of a poor culture in indie gaming where you can just "take the money and run" with no support, no focus on the bigger picture. They'll just fuck you and leave you. If he was truly a man of character, he would've upped for fixing the XBLA version of Fez. Since he's not, I don't see how any serious developer or publisher can work with him in the future."

{BAM! OUT OF BODY EXPERIENCE}

You let statements like that go without addressing them and keeping them in the realm of "fight between two dweebs" territory, the loaded language hits the Google spiders, you get dozens of spam blogs republishing it over and over, Kotaku will do a feature on it with the "big picture" spin in order to piss off everyone and get the page views while putting Fish's head on a spit... no. You can't ignore it in this world of new media, and that's fucking frustrating.

How is he even getting attention from the media? Just because he's the same usual depressive asshole he is on Twitter and now even just for one game?

Pathetic...

It's a good thing that he's leaving the gaming industry as for the cancellation of Fez II.

He doesn't deserve anyone's money.

Well, in light of regardless of what happened, it may have been a good thing Fish left the industry if he couldn't handle the criticisms of someone who probably few of us have ever heard about. As for Beer, yeah, he may have gotten his 15 minutes of fame here, but how many people will remember him about a month or more from now?

I never knew about any of this drama until you guys mentioned it here. The only reason it caught my eye was because it was on the front page of my yahoo mail. It might have been a game I picked up on sale like the first, but I got so bored I never got around to finishing it.

I also can't believe I missed an opprotunity to exploit Fish and Beer.

Heard of Fez, but never played it because a certain other XBLA game got my attention (Here's a hint: It begins with "M" and ends with "inecraft"). It's a shame there won't be a sequel, and after reading this GameInformer article about it, I'm not surprised:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/07/27/polytron-announces-fez-ii-cancellation.aspx

I don't believe he owes anyone an apology from what I've heard. People have sworn at him like tomorrow and used every threat/insult there is. If anything I hope he stands his ground and doesn't make a Fez II because quite frankly the fans don't deserve it.

Also, people say he can't take it, what about the people that are getting so upset over what he said? The hypocrisy....

Honestly I'm not too disappointed, the original Fez still suffers from quite bad glitches and frame-rate for me and Phil Fish seemed more bothered about how his game was never "marketed" rather than fixing it. I'm almost sure he said he would never bring Fez II to the Xbox anyways, as he basically hates M$ now

I don't believe he owes anyone an apology from what I've heard. People have sworn at him like tomorrow and used every threat/insult there is. If anything I hope he stands his ground and doesn't make a Fez II because quite frankly the fans don't deserve it.

Also, people say he can't take it, what about the people that are getting so upset over what he said? The hypocrisy....

He owes Polygon (is that the developer of Fez?) an apology.

And the fans don't deserve it? Jesus Christ, really?

He owes Polygon (is that the developer of Fez?) an apology.

And the fans don't deserve it? Jesus Christ, really?

Why does he owe them an apology? (It's Polytron by the way :p) Also, the reason I said they don't deserve it is because personally I wouldn't develop another game for people who throw every single insult my way. This seems to have become the norm in the video games industry as of late and it's atrocious. People giving death threats to developers, it's ridiculous.

Why does he owe them an apology? (It's Polytron by the way :p) Also, the reason I said they don't deserve it is because personally I wouldn't develop another game for people who throw every single insult my way. This seems to have become the norm in the video games industry as of late and it's atrocious. People giving death threats to developers, it's ridiculous.

Publicly embarrassing them I guess. Ah, that makes more sense, though you're implying that he was making Fez 2 for the fans and not for himself/money/reputation/fame.