CAMPAIGN PROGRESS/RANK RESET ISSUE!!! Should it be a STICKY?

BrinkX

Should the "resets" issue be a STICKY on this forum?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "resets" issue be a STICKY on this forum?

• The heartbreak caused by this issue could be easily avoided if people were more aware of the issue.
    • Buyer beware. Why should we cause a panic by making this a STICKY.

First off let me be clear here in saying that this rank/progress/stats reset is NOT from cheating, mod-ding, etc. This is a BUG that EPIC is fully aware of. What is happening to people varies; things from their rank being reset back to level 1, campaign progress disappearing, lost unlocks, lost medals... it varies, so I can not give you all of the specifics.

Also, the poll is NOT concerning getting THIS THREAD as a STICKY. I am just asking whether you think the whole issue deserves its own sticky (or something added to the "Announcement" section at the top of the GOW3 forum).

Lastly, to be clear here, let me just say that this has NOT happened to me... but after reading though a few pages on the EPIC games forum (and there are already OVER 70 pages on that thread!), this seems to be a very MAJOR ISSUE!

To quote TroyMcClure, employee of EPIC and a moderator on their forum (10/7/2011):

"While we do ban people for legit reasons, to my knowledge we do not reset people's levels. We just prevent them from playing Gears online..."

(And from 10/4/2011):

"Oh we are quite aware it is a common issue and are working to resolve it. I think the xbox live outage actually gave us a common variable between people."

Here is the thread on the forum on EPIC's website:

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/835137-Dear-EPIC-My-Rank-Stats-Reset

FINAL UPDATE ON THAT THREAD from TroyMcClure (11/1/2011) [Thread is now CLOSED]:

"Many people have been very busy working on this bug and unfortunately posting on the forums to satisfy all of you is not my #1 priority in this matter. Finding a fix is.

Many thanks to you who have posted your info, but this thread is no longer helpful in providing new information. Using this thread to field complaints is not it's intended purpose.

If any more information comes my way in regards to this issue, I will update accordingly."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some items to possibly help avoid or recover from this problem:

*** GUIDE: How to backup your GOW3 save game data!: ***

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334268

* Important... when you are finished playing for the day, it is HIGHLY suggested that you make sure to QUIT ALL THE WAY OUT to the "Title/Press Start" screen in GOW3 and THEN exit out to the Xbox dashboard. Once back at the dashboard, this is when you turn off your Xbox and end your gaming session for the day (laziness will definitely contribute to the problem as shutting off your Xbox while it is "saving data" or "updating stats" will DEFINITELY cause you problems). EDIT: It has also been suggested to shut down your Xbox, from the dashboard, by "pressing and holding" the Xbox button until you get the pop-up menu for "Turn off controller/console" (instead of just pressing and holding the power button on the console itself)... this is the way I ALWAYS DO IT, no matter what game I am playing (thanks to AceMcCloud).

* As soon as you notice that your rank is reset, do NOT continue to play at all! Attempt to delete and recover your Gamertag. A few people have been able to fix this issue by deleting their Gamertag profile, clearing their System Cache and then restoring their Gamertag profile (but only if they did not play at all before attempting the recovery... as soon as you play anything in the game, Campaign/Versus/Horde/Beast, it is going to overwrite your data).

A link concerning this possible "rank reset solution":

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/836068-Rank-Reset-Soloution!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An employee at EPIC, on their forum, stated that there is no way for them to reset people's rank back to what it was, EVEN AFTER THEY FIX THE PROBLEM (once they figure out what the problem is that is). You could possibly lose everything, including War Supporter progress, skins, unlocks, etc, etc, etc and they have no plans to give it back to you even after they fix the problem.

To quote TroyMcClure from EPIC's forum again (10/17/2011):

"I checked up on the possibility of getting ranks restored with programmers upstairs, but unfortunately this is not possible.

Most of the problems stemmed from playing offline, so I would recommend not doing that if you can help it.

There is a fix coming down the line with TU2 (title update 2) that will hopefully prevent this from happening in the future, but for those of you that have been reset, you must start over. I apologize for this, I know it is a kick in the pants. :/"

(We all know this is BS since they could do anything they wanted... they just do not want to spend the ridiculous amount of time it would take to step through every Gamer's profile, one by one, and restore their items. Take the money and run I guess.)

People need to be aware of this possible problem and a STICKY may be the answer. I also feel that the "GUIDE: How to backup your GOW3 save game data!" instructions should be a "Sticky" or at the very minimum added to whatever thread ends up being "sticky"ed concerning this very frightening and real issue. I followed those very easy instructions to back up my save data and I am sleeping much better these days.

I will help with whatever needs to be done to see that this happens, but based on the severity of the issue and the fact that EPIC is fully aware of the issue, something should be put out there for the community so that no one has to go through what some people are going through. The heartbreak I am reading about on EPIC's forum leaves a pit in my stomach. Goodness knows I love this game, but I am seeing too many posts on that forum from people saying that they are selling their game because of this and have no plans to ever play it again. I don't want to see this game franchise go down in flames because of this stupid issue. I love the whole GOW universe too much! (I own all 3 games, all 4 books, many of the action figures, etc... hopefully this is enough proof of how much I love this game). I would rather see people temporarily move on to some other game until EPIC fixes the problem (or at least have them learn how to backup their save data so that they can continue to play this game)... a "sticky" may at least give some people a fighting chance since knowledge is half the battle.

Thoughts?

(Thanks to the following people for their suggestions and comments:

Dark Anaconda, ooo0ooooooo0ooo, AceMcCloud ....)

EDIT: For those of you looking to "sound off" about this issue, here is a link for submitting a complaint with the Better Business Bureau which should take you all of 5 minutes. The more people that submit a complaint, the more likely that EPIC will hear about it and respond better.

http://easternnc.app.bbb.org/complaint/new/90001957?

(thanks to LaurenTheGreat on EPIC's forum for this info)

Edited by BrinkX

I know what you mean man ,but i ordered a official Xbox Usb Stick from the company SanDisk ,which is known for his good quality.

I will get this tomorrow probably ,after that i will backup my savefile.

So i will sleep much better.

Yeah this thread should get a sticky BUT only if the problems are also listed ( the problems which are responsible for loosing savefiles ,like guest profile login ,switching accounts while in the game ,getting disconnect ,playing offline - not connected to xboxlive ,and other reasons )

Thumbs up for you ,i do understand your feelings , try to make a backup and lets hope there will be no "WHIPE" ,which would destroy everything ,since youre savefile would be useless no matter if you backed it up or not.

I know this WHIPE things from online roleplaying games lineage2 or world of warcraft ,hope this will never happen to us.

I think there should be a stickied thread for it. I see like a new thread asking why theyve been reset like every 2 days. If people knew what caused it there would be less duplicate threads as well as less people getting reset in the first place. There are just so many ways it can happen. Ex: switching profiles in certain menus and loading screens. That could easily happen on accident, especially if playing with two people on one console.

Here are the questions EPIC is asking people who have run into these problems:

* Did you play offline at all?

* Have you played splitscreen in the past?

* Were you playing splitscreen in the last game session before you noticed this rank reset issue?

* What steps were taken to exit the game? i.e. Did you just power off xbox? Did you return to main menu then powered off? Did you exit to dashboard? Sign out of your Gamer profile? etc..

* What rank were you when you were reset?

* What is your gamertag?

* What model Xbox 360 console do you have?

* Do you have the game installed onto your HDD?

* When this occurred, where did you have your profile installed. Hard drive or memory stick?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have spent the better part of two hours reading through the first 20 pages of the thread on EPIC's forum and here is a sampling of the issues people are having:

- User was playing the campaign offline while XBLA was down for a period. While playing, XBLA came back online. After finishing playing the level they were on, they went back out and noticed that their rank/level was back to level 2

- User was playing a ranked match and their screen froze (this has happened to all of us at one time or another). Power cycled the Xbox 360 and logged back in… lost all campaign progress, lost all weapon execution unlocks, and some other stuff

- Two people are playing campaign, on hardcore, splitscreen and decide to go get something to eat. They log off the console and then turn off the console. When they come back to resume playing, one user is reset to level 1 and the other user has NOTHING wrong (all of their progress, etc. still exists)

- User plays split screen with friends. Lost all of his Beta unlocks, etc.

- User had just finished Act 2 Chaper 7, then they pressed start and exited to the main menu. After this, the game froze on the loading screen forcing them to power down the Xbox. After rebooting the Xbox and loading the game, their rank, medals and ribbons were all reset.

…I don't know how much more I can read since this is really disheartening.

Edited by BrinkX

To quote TroyMcClure on the EPIC forum (10/21/2011):

(I can't believe I am still reading through all the volumes of complaints about this issue :-)

"Here is the situation.

Your Ranks cannot be restored. Nothing lost can be recovered on our end.

There is a fix in for rank reset due to playing while being offline. This fix cannot be implemented before TU2.

My advice is to try not to play offline to reduce the possibility of this happening again.

We are still working on the rank reset issue that relates to those who never played splitscreen or offline.

This thread was intended to be a place to collect the appropriate information from those that the rank reset affected. This information is critical to fixing this situation.

This particular thread is not a sounding board for you to voice your frustrations, as valid as they might be... just try to post information here that can actually helpful in recreating this reset.

Please continue to try to have your voices heard in as many formats and locations that you can.

This is a very serious bug and I sincerely apologize to those that have encountered it. We hope to have it fully resolved soon but only with your help.

BTW, I do actually work in house at Epic in Cary NC."

...And another from the same day (10/21/2011):

"Beta unlocks are based on your Beta Data file.. Old Guard is based on your profile for Gears 2. Those shouldn't be affected to my knowledge."

...And another (10/21/2011):

"I am not suggesting that people that have this happen to them once should get a reward. I am simply stating if someone is willing to go out of their way to recreate this bug intentionally and be able to reproduce it consistently, that would be going above and beyond what is expected and that should be acknowledged.

Guys (& gals), I feel your pain. I am an avid gamer myself. It really sucks that you all have experienced this. I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to grind back to your previous level and gave up on Gears entirely. But you are not forgotten.

I myself have spent a great deal of time attempting to resolve the situation for you, and will continue to do so until this doesn't happen anymore."

Edited by BrinkX

* Important... when you are finished playing for the day, it is HIGHLY suggested that you make sure to quit out to the main menu in GOW3 and THEN exit out to the Xbox dashboard. Once back at the dashboard, this is when you turn off your Xbox and end your gaming session for the day (laziness will definitely contribute to the problem as shutting off your Xbox while it is "saving data" or "updating stats" will DEFINITELY cause you problems).

I would say the "Title/Press Start" Screen, not the main menu (I think of the one with Campaign, Versus, Horde, Beast, Stats etc on it), when you go back to the Title/Start screen you can clearly see it closing down stuff in the corner.

At this point I then hold the Guide button on my controller and choose to shut down the console, that way it shuts down in it's own time and not by a power button which is usually more "Shut down NOW" style of command.