Tips for skills

GRIMFISTED

Hi all,

I'm really struggling in getting the Fortune Hunter skill as the conditions are very vague. So I figured why not make some sort of list with tips towards getting the skills to make it easier for other people who are struggling any extra info would be helpful. I seem to unlock skills easier in Ambition mode and playing on Hard.

Accuracy - Defeat an Officer with over a certain chain. It tends to pop right after a chain of 500+ in Musou Rage. Reports of chains 100+ no Musou (Thanks to Acid Erosion88)

Health Springs - Defeat an Officer with a Blue Prism above their head. Simple.

Secret Arts - Defeat an Officer when you have double speed I.E ran over the shoe Icon.

Health Boost - Defeat an Officer when you have Full health.

Steely Heart - The only way to get a switch counter is to fight an Officer with the

red exclamation mark above his head (his weapon has an advantage over yours) and switch counter with RB when the enemy charges a green/blue flash to attack

Quick Learner - Defeat an Officer afflicted with a status ailment. Zhou Yu's first Musou (B button on the ground) seems to do the trick for me

Nullification - Defeat an Officer with the red exclamation mark above his head.

Attack Boost - Defeat an officer when your attack is doubled I.E after picking up the AXE Icon making your weapon turn Golden.

Determination - Defeat an Officer when you're in Red on your Health Gauge

Fortune Hunter - Defeat an Officer with a K.O above 1500 (Thanks to Duke of Darkness)

The Yellow Turban Conflict" on Zhang Jiao's forces, or "Chase at Hulao Gate" Seem to be the easiest to rack up 1500+ (Thanks to a fat turkey)

Rage Springs - Defeat an Officer in Rage mode

Equestrian - Defeat an Officer whilst atop a mounted animal. Horse, Elephant, War Elephant

Defense Boost - Defeat an Officer when your defense is doubled I.E after picking up the Armour

Victory Cry - Defeat an Officer who just has their name above their head.

Burning Spirit - Defeat an Officer with a switch attack. Knock them down to low health and hit RB to switch attack

Havoc - Defeat an Officer within a set time from the start of the battle. Tends to pop after killing a named higher general of the opposing team within 5 minutes I.E Lu Bu, Guan Yu, Zhang Liao they tend to have a Red aura emanating from them.

Mighty Roar - When an Officer has a Blue Prism above their head with Storm Rush. After landing a full combo the next move knocks them into storm rush for me.

Edited by GRIMFISTED

This is a good idea. Especially when the Fortune Hunter is so random and others are just added for longer gameplay time...

*My opinnion

*My tip

I HATE these:

Determination - Defeat an Officer when you're in Red on your Health Gauge.

I have never been on red health...

Best done on Yellow Turban Conflict like others stated, played on normal.

Equestrian - Defeat an Officer whilst atop a mounted animal. Horse, Elephant, War Elephant.

I have done this whenever I have to play a stage again to get the stars and still I have this only on lvl 3 when my other skills are 14-18.

Beginner difficulty and the Yellow Turban Conflict stage.

Burning Spirit - Defeat an Officer with a switch counter.

This is just annoying as officers tend to just look at me and dance around me until one of my ally comes to ruin my chance for counter.

Probably best done on normal or hard for aggressive enemies.

Sorry for not so specific hints but I have been focused on getting the story mode out the way first.

Also, most of my posts might seem pretty negative but I love Koei games :D

Edited by DarkSephiroth

Equestrian - Defeat an Officer whilst atop a mounted animal. Horse, Elephant, War Elephant.

I have done this whenever I have to play a stage again to get the stars and still I have this only on lvl 3 when my other skills are 14-18.

Same as above, beginner difficulty and a stage with a lot of officers.

I had the same problem but now I'm using Lu Bu in Ambition mode mounted on a horse it seems a lot easier to unlock skills now.

I've had quite a few Accuracy skills by killing officers with a chain of 100 (No Musou)

Also your description for Burning Spirit could use more detail about how it is meant to be a counter with RB when the enemy charges a green/blue flash to attack. Your description could lead to people just doing weapon switch attacks.

Edited by Acid Erosion88

I've had quite a few Accuracy skills by killing officers with a chain of 100 (No Musou)

Also your description for Burning Spirit could use more detail about how it is meant to be a counter with RB when the enemy charges a green/blue flash to attack. Your description could lead to people just doing weapon switch attacks.

Thanks it's now been amended :)

Any suggestions on the best map to grind Fortune Hunter on? Needs to be a place where you can rack up 1.5K kills relatively easily, without disturbing too many officers... and then have plenty of officers to round up afterwards.

Oh, and I'm also curious about people's experience with what difficulty-level is best for Determination. You need enemies aggressive and tough enough to pull you down to red health in a timely fashion, while still having officers easy enough that you can defeat them with low health without too much worrying about getting yourself killed. Seems like it might be a tough balance to strike.

Any suggestions on the best map to grind Fortune Hunter on? Needs to be a place where you can rack up 1.5K kills relatively easily, without disturbing too many officers... and then have plenty of officers to round up afterwards.

Oh, and I'm also curious about people's experience with what difficulty-level is best for Determination. You need enemies aggressive and tough enough to pull you down to red health in a timely fashion, while still having officers easy enough that you can defeat them with low health without too much worrying about getting yourself killed. Seems like it might be a tough balance to strike.

For me, the best stages I've found are "The Yellow Turban Conflict" on Zhang Jiao's forces, or "Chase at Hulao Gate". The yellow turban stage has a very large amount of officers and troops, and I find it very easy to just ignore the officers for a little while and get 1500 kills.

Chase at Hulao Gate (Dong Zhuo's story stage) has a gate right before Dian Wei towards the beginning of the stage in the south-west corner that spawns endless troops. Just stay there and rack up 1500 kills (the Big Dong will stay next to you so don't worry about him running off and dying). After you get 1500 kills, just continue the stage normally. Also, play on Hard or Chaos as the higher difficulty has a higher chance of learning skills. Normal is good too if you plan on stopping at level 10 just for the achievement.

As for the best difficulty for determination, Hard has been the best for me since they can lower your HP relatively fast. Just use a strong character (I use a lvl 99 Lu Bu with 1000 Life/Attack/Defense :D) and you will be fine. Definitely the most risky skill to go for since you have to be so close to death.

Ah, the good ol' YTRZJS (Yellow Turban Rebellion, Zhang Jiao's Side) - I remember using that to grind for stat-uppers back in Dynasty Warriors 2. Guess it's STILL a great place to grind. :woop:

I'll take the suggestion about Hard difficulty into calculation - now that you've said it, it makes sense that it's better to use an uber-powerful character on a high difficulty rather than a moderately-powerful character on a moderate difficulty...

the yellow turban conflict. I played as zhang Jiao and average around 3k kill a board. I played on normal with a lower difficulty stage and just let people take me down to red on a mid lvl ch around 30s and went and kill officers. I saved threw out just incase someone did finish me off.

Edited by Orsonn
wanted to add

I have a problem with Steely Heart any suggestions !!

You simply need to kill officers with Switch Counter. To trigger that, you need to be wielding a weapon that is weak against the enemy, then wait for them to sport blue-green lines (meaning they're charging up a heavy attack) and then hit the weapon-switch button to do some damage and trigger a brief powerup. The basics of the process is explained in the Tutorials...

As for racking up Steely Heart points efficiently... use a powerful character on Easy or Normal difficulty, make sure you're equipped with weapons of two different alignments, and check if you've got a 'weak' weapon every time you run into an enemy officer. Wear their health down a bit, then wait for them to deliver a charge attack so that you can counter them to death. Rinse and repeat. Obviously, it's preferable to do this in a mission with generous time-requirements, since you sometimes have to wait a while for the enemy to do a counterable move. The lower the difficulty, the more rare it is for the enemies to use heavy attacks - but higher difficulties means that you can't take as much damage, and that enemy grunts are more likely to hit you while you're waiting. (They can even potentially stunlock you long enough to miss your counter-attack window.) Hence, Normal difficulty is probably ideal, preferably with a very powerful character.

Alternately, if you're seriously overpowered and fighting on an easy mission with low difficulty, a single counter will one-shot most enemies - so you can, instead, just run around with an appropriately-attuned weapon and wait for the enemies to give you an opportunity, without needing to try and weaken them first. Matter of taste.

Equestrian - Defeat an Officer whilst atop a mounted animal. Horse, Elephant, War Elephant

Easiest method I have found for doing this is pick any one and equip them with a harp. Sit on horse running around plucking the strings for the aoe spam. Went from Equestrian 9 to 18 just playing Jin story on Normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea if the AOE from Switch Counters and Storm Rush attacks that kill other officers counts towards leveling up the skill? For example for Steely Heart, if you have a group of three officers and do a Switch Counter on one and kill all three, is that three officers towards Steely Heart? Just curious.

I'm almost completely confident that stuff like that counts... it's impossible to say for absolute certain, unless you happen to get two level-ups for it in a single attack, which is... unlikely, at best. But I know that killing multiple officers with a single counter counts for the 'Kill 3 officers in a row with switch-counters' achievement, so presumably it applies to the skills too.

Any idea if the AOE from Switch Counters and Storm Rush attacks that kill other officers counts towards leveling up the skill? For example for Steely Heart, if you have a group of three officers and do a Switch Counter on one and kill all three, is that three officers towards Steely Heart? Just curious.

Like BlackDragon said it probably does. I just thought I'd point out that the skills level up at random as your post implies you think you need to kill x amount of officers per level.

Like BlackDragon said it probably does. I just thought I'd point out that the skills level up at random as your post implies you think you need to kill x amount of officers per level.

Are you sure about that? Only reason I say that is because when I first started playing, Equestrian leveled up to over 10 before I finished my first Story mode on Wei. Since then I've logged many hours and it's still at 14. I figured you just needed to kill more officers to get to the next level. It seemed more logical that way.

Also, what if you, for example, pick up a double attack, double defense, double speed (not uncommon when killing a group of enemies around a base), then kill an officer with a Musuo attack whose weapon is at a disadvantage to yours? Since you're fulfilling the conditions for multiple skills, does one "override" the others, or is it completely random for each skill that you've met the conditions for? I've gotten most skills to over 10 just from playing through Wei's story, and in maxing out my Fame and Allies over the past couple sittings, it seems like most of my skills that are in the 12-14 range don't seem to want to level up anymore. Ones that are still below 10 for me (Rage Springs, Accuracy, Quick Learner, etc) seem to level up within killing 2-3 officers that way. Whereas I must have killed over 100 officers last night while on a horse, or at an advantage or disadvantage, or with attack/defense/speed doubled, and I don't think a single one leveled up. Or maybe it works where the higher the level of the skill is, the less likely your chances of it leveling up again? Maybe Fortune Hunter would help in that case?