Debating about selling PS4, getting Xbox One!

iheardUrip1

Hey. Been a while since I've been here. But that will be explained lol.

So I've been big on Playstation for a while. Got a PS4 not long after it was released and have been impressed and had a good time. But I won't lie, the Xbox One seems to be getting my attention lately. You see, I was a big Xbox guy before I got caught up in the "Playstation world". My favourite exclusives are mostly Xbox (Halo, Gears, Crackdown, etc.).

I've been looking at the future for both consoles and honestly, there is nothing exciting coming out exclusively on the PS4 - literally nothing. But on the Xbox One side, the ones that I've been most intrigued by is the Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5 and of course Crackdown. And let's not forget the eventual Xbox One exclusives Gears of War and Left 4 Dead.

Basically, I've been trying to decide whether to sell my PS4 on ebay and then purchase a Xbox One. (I'm sure there are not many people who would switch from PS4 to Xbox One, but to me it's not about what is more powerful or looks better, it's all about the games and fun for me)

I keep thinking about the PS4 and it's been collecting dust lately as there just isn't anything to play anymore and nothing coming out exclusively. DriveClub doesn't interest me. Uncharted 4 seems it might be the one saviour, but even then that is only ONE game. LittleBigPlanet 3 - I've never been into any of them. And so on.

I'm hoping you guys and gals might be able to give me your opinions/advice. ANYTHING is most welcome and appreciated :)

Also, there seems to be a lot of things missing on the PS4 that are on the Xbox One (Youtube, USB playback, etc.) which also gives the Xbox One an advantage to me.

I can't really comment on the two since I've only spent a grand total of 10 minutes on the PS4, but as with most of these questions asked about what console to buy/play it all comes down to what you want. If there are more games on the Xbox One you want then it may be worth buying one.

I'm sure others will leave their feedback to give you a greater idea of the pros and cons but I have no regrets choosing an Xbox One. Like you there were more games I was interested in and I haven't had any complaints with Microsoft over the years. They've been doing a great job supporting the console so far with plenty of updates. I don't really use the apps so I can't comment on that aspect but I personally like the dashboard and how it's navigated.

I'm not a fan of the updates though. I understand the games are bigger but one of the reasons I haven't gone back to Dead Rising 3 and Wolfenstein is because they have 13GB and 10GB updates waiting. That's a huge chunk of time dedicated to downloading. Not sure what it's like on the PS4.

Overall the pros outweigh the cons but if you're already leaning towards the Xbox One then I say take the plunge:p

Edited by DEG23

I planned on getting a PS4 up until release, when I couldn't find one, caved, and bought an Xbox One, the morning it came out. I was in a similar situation. I traded my 360 for a PS3, but was always a 360 guy. I just had an itch for those past games on PS1. I am glad I got the One as I love it. I couldn't imagine my entertainment world without it now. I use all of it's functions (TV, voice commands, etc). I might buy a PS4 someday, but I'll never get rid of my One.

The only thing why I bought a Xbox One is for the exclusives. Just as you say design and performance won't be a problem. The exclusives for Xbox One are just more based on my style of gaming. There's only one game I really like to play and that is Last of Us. That'll be the only game for me why I should buy PS4.

I've had a Xbox360 and before that a PS2. Both of the consoles fit me perfectly but for me the exclusives where more important than the console. Beside that I could keep my account and nothing would change. Maybe I'll buy a PS4 later if some great games will release from Sony. But I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

Hey. Been a while since I've been here. But that will be explained lol.

So I've been big on Playstation for a while. Got a PS4 not long after it was released and have been impressed and had a good time. But I won't lie, the Xbox One seems to be getting my attention lately. You see, I was a big Xbox guy before I got caught up in the "Playstation world". My favourite exclusives are mostly Xbox (Halo, Gears, Crackdown, etc.).

I've been looking at the future for both consoles and honestly, there is nothing exciting coming out exclusively on the PS4 - literally nothing. But on the Xbox One side, the ones that I've been most intrigued by is the Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5 and of course Crackdown. And let's not forget the eventual Xbox One exclusives Gears of War and Left 4 Dead.

Basically, I've been trying to decide whether to sell my PS4 on ebay and then purchase a Xbox One. (I'm sure there are not many people who would switch from PS4 to Xbox One, but to me it's not about what is more powerful or looks better, it's all about the games and fun for me)

I keep thinking about the PS4 and it's been collecting dust lately as there just isn't anything to play anymore and nothing coming out exclusively. DriveClub doesn't interest me. Uncharted 4 seems it might be the one saviour, but even then that is only ONE game. LittleBigPlanet 3 - I've never been into any of them. And so on.

I'm hoping you guys and gals might be able to give me your opinions/advice. ANYTHING is most welcome and appreciated :)

Also, there seems to be a lot of things missing on the PS4 that are on the Xbox One (Youtube, USB playback, etc.) which also gives the Xbox One an advantage to me.

Yes, come to the dark side!

To be honest, if you don't think you want to play any of the exclusives for PS, then its a no brainer.

Personally I think the XB1 is a great console, and easily holds its own against the PS4 in terms of performance, services and games on offer.

I visit the Xbox One Reddit quite a bit, and I've noticed quite a few PS4 owners either completely switching or just getting in on both.

But a lot of them say, that their PS4 just gathers dust.

I don't understand how the PS4 has sold so much, and I don't mean that to sound like I'm saying its a bad console, because obviously it isn't. I just don't get what people see in it so much more than the XB1.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Sony is interested in making the PlayStation 4 like Steam to some degree. Recently, they announced that there would be very few, if any, triple-a games released for the Vita going forward, something that I believe is also going to carry over to the PlayStation 4. Not in the sense that there won't be any, but where triple-a exclusives are concerned, I believe they're going to be few and far between. The majority of the current library is made up of indie titles, which for the most part consist of last generation ports or ports of games that have been available on PC for years, and at a lower cost in almost every case. It feels like they're content just offering a platform and a place to play games and make it easy for developers to get those games out there - which is fine if you're on board with that. Of course you'll have access to all of the third party triple-a games, but exclusives are generally what push someone in the direction of one console or another.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I'm seeing right now, and in turn, my PlayStation 4 also collects dust. It gets used for Netflix and watching people embarrass themselves on Live From PlayStation. All of the hardware debate was a lot of fun when the consoles weren't on the market, but it largely goes out the window when it comes down to which console you actually want to turn on to play your games. From the games you listed that you enjoy the most, it doesn't sound like you'll regret making the switch. Great thing is, if you're unhappy or bored at any point, you can change your mind again. Because it isn't a puppy, it's a game console.

Thank you all for responding. Didn't think I would get as many replies!

Tell me, what are games like Ryse, Dead Rising 3 and other Xbox exclusives like? Ryse looks good as does Dead Rising 3 (although like DEG23 said, a 13GB update for DR3 scares me a lil' lol)

And as I think I read, does the Xbox One have USB playback as of yet? And are there any awesome Xbox features that are missing on the PS4?

Sorry for all the questions :D

Tell me, what are games like Ryse, Dead Rising 3 and other Xbox exclusives like? Ryse looks good as does Dead Rising 3 (although like DEG23 said, a 13GB update for DR3 scares me a lil' lol)

And as I think I read, does the Xbox One have USB playback as of yet? And are there any awesome Xbox features that are missing on the PS4?

I actually thought Ryse was pretty good fun. It looks stunning too. Sure the combat gets repetitive but you could argue that with a lot of games. If you can find it cheap, which I'm sure you could now, I think it's worth playing.

I haven't played DR3, but I've heard a lot of people say they really enjoyed it.

I think both consoles share similar features they just go about them slightly differently.

I don't think you can upload to YouTube from PS4 yet can you? But you can on XB1. Little things like that.

1. OP is in Australia and unless he/she is with iiNet or TPG, that monthly quota will be hit in no time ;)
  2. Dead Rising 3 is a good game, but it's also on PC.
  3. Ryse, I have heard many good things and what? That's on PC too?

If you were looking at getting an XB1 for DR3 or Ryse, better off getting them on PC and enjoying the same experience with better visuals.

If I were you OP, just wait for mid-October or closer to November and get yourself an Xbox One + Master Chief Collection bundle. Hopefully by then, some local retailer will give us Aussies something half-decent similar to what GameStop do in North America.

1. OP is in Australia and unless he/she is with iiNet or TPG, that monthly quota will be hit in no time ;)

If you were looking at getting an XB1 for DR3 or Ryse, better off getting them on PC and enjoying the same experience with better visuals.

If I were you OP, just wait for mid-October or closer to November and get yourself an Xbox One + Master Chief Collection bundle. Hopefully by then, some local retailer will give us Aussies something half-decent similar to what GameStop do in North America.

This is also good advice. By the holidays, I'll be surprised if the launch games being discussed here aren't going for twenty bucks. A few of them have already been on sale for that price or less through GameFly, and that was months ago.

The One is not a perfect console. It has a crap name and the unit itself is ugly. Everyone knows they made bad mistakes leading up to the lauch. Like many 360 fans, my initial response was to buy a PS4.

Despite this, I firmly believe that the X1 is now the best console. The PS4 has lost its momentum. The updates that MS has made to the operating system look great. The latest advertising campaign is good and I expect that you won't be the only palyer who is thinking of moving back to Xbox.

I willl be getting an X1 in January and I can't wait.

I thought Ryse was a great game. The only downside I personally thought the game had, was the short campaign. I enjoyed the online (you + 1 vs waves of enemies in different arenas).

Dead Rising 3 was also a great game. It's fun, tons of things to do like the other Dead Risings, and who doesn't like mowing down thousands of Zombies?

The most recent update brought USB playback to the One. You can also hook up an external hard drive if your 500 gig (or 1TB, depending on the model you purchase) doesn't satisfy you. I've seen people with 3-4 TB external HDDs, doing that soon myself.

The features outnumber those of the PS4. You won't be disappointed.

OK I take it back. All I was referring to was the great strides that MS has made recently.

I'm quite pleased with Microsoft's positive shift in momentum and what they've done with their updates, but battery life indicators, hard drive storage management and a less fucked up but still fucked up party system that was close to perfect on their previous console doesn't exactly equal a parting of the seas. They still have their work cut out for them. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound like I'm going on the attack, I'm playing my Xbox One almost exclusively over my PlayStation 4 these days, but that has more to do with where my friends are playing than anything on a technical side.

I actually thought Ryse was pretty good fun. It looks stunning too. Sure the combat gets repetitive but you could argue that with a lot of games. If you can find it cheap, which I'm sure you could now, I think it's worth playing.

I haven't played DR3, but I've heard a lot of people say they really enjoyed it.

I think both consoles share similar features they just go about them slightly differently.

I don't think you can upload to YouTube from PS4 yet can you? But you can on XB1. Little things like that.

I'm pretty sure no you can't upload to Youtube on the PS4. Well, not yet anyway.

Unfortunately I am not that greatly financial to get a great gaming PC :(

My internet plan is pretty good. 200GB a month (Telstra Bigpond) so I suppose downloading those big updates for DR3 isn't going to kill me. Just shocked with how big the updates are.

BTW: Awesome signature.

Not worth it, because Bloodborne.

Doesn't interest me honestly.

I thought Ryse was a great game. The only downside I personally thought the game had, was the short campaign. I enjoyed the online (you + 1 vs waves of enemies in different arenas).

Dead Rising 3 was also a great game. It's fun, tons of things to do like the other Dead Risings, and who doesn't like mowing down thousands of Zombies?

The most recent update brought USB playback to the One. You can also hook up an external hard drive if your 500 gig (or 1TB, depending on the model you purchase) doesn't satisfy you. I've seen people with 3-4 TB external HDDs, doing that soon myself.

The features outnumber those of the PS4. You won't be disappointed.

Excellent. That's what I was hoping to hear (regarding USB playback)

On the flip, I'm a XBOX fanboy who hates the XBOX One, so much so that since it came out my gaming has almost come to a stop, I used to play all day everyday, these days Im lucky if my attention can hold an hour.

Ah ok. Can I ask exactly what makes you hate the Xbox One? Not that I'm calling you out (not at all), I'm just curious as to the negative side of Xbox One.

Like I've always said, you've gotta go where the games are. Microsoft, though a bit shy about original IPs, has always had a strong stable of dependable franchises whereas Sony takes a more open approach with a wider range of genre and more original IP. The issue with Playstation lately, however, is that they seem to have put most of their bets on Naughty Dog. They pushed this remake of TLoU and with Uncharted 4 a ways off and no Resistance or Killzone coming out, they seem to have put all their money on Destiny, which isn't even exclusive. On the PS3, my favorite games were The Last of Us, Uncharted 2, Beyond: Two Souls, and Heavy Rain. Literally 2 developers in the entire 7 year lifespan of the console.

Now the PS4 does have some appealing exclusives on the way if you're into those things but for every Drive Club and Gran Turismo they get, we've still got Forza and Forza Horizon (I only list the two because they're quite different beasts.) They have LittleBigPlanet, but we have Project Spark. They have Uncharted 4, but we've got Tomb Raider (temporary, but for probably a year.)

The only exclusives I can really say stand out on the PS4 are No Man's Sky, The Order, and Bloodborne. NMS is coming to PC and will likely see XB1 release as well. The Order and Bloodborne are the only exclusives that really holds, even if it Bloodborne just a knockoff of their own Demon and Dark Souls (plus it is competing with the multiplat Lords of the Fallen and Shadows of Mordor.) The Order actually looks like a genuinely wonderful experience and I can't wait to experience it. Currently NMS and The Order are the only two games that I could warrant owning a PS4 for.

Xbox One, meanwhile, has the colorful, high-speed, acrobatic Sunset Overdrive, the superpowered, City Scaling, Car Launching Crackdown, the apocalyptic and mysterious 'card game without cards' reboot of Phantom Dust (if you didn't play the original, do yourself a favor and find a copy of it.) Plus the always-exciting Halo Compiltion with 4 full campaigns, 4 fully-functional and online-accessible multiplayer modes followed by the release of Halo 5 next year, a fresh new take on the Fable Series that hopes to bring it close to a cross of games like Gauntlet and Quest for Epic Loot, and Gears of War's first foray with it's new developer as a wholly-owned license of Microsoft Games Studio (which the Halo Franchise has proven they're not going to let their stuff go underfunded and released with low quality.) Than Remedy is working on the time-controlling romper Quantum Break, which coming from Alan Wake and Max Payne, I can only guess will be a blast. Than we have the chaotic Themepark simulator Screamride, which I could only really think to compare to Thrillville or Roller Coast Tycoon, but with Crack Cocaine and Heroin in it's system.

I won't sit here and say Xbox has a perfect exclusive Lineup, of our current known offering, you're hard-pressed to find recent or upcoming games to match them.

Plus there are always glimpses of other goodies waiting to be explored. Sony is rocking the Crash Bandicoot revival rumor (which would, again, be hedging the bets on Naughty Dog) and a new Ratchet and Clank ( which is as similar as we're going to get to Sunset Overdrive, likely because it's the same developers.) David Cage is always cooking something wonderful over at Quantic Dream and I can't wait for another game like Heavy Rain and Beyond. Plus The Last Guardian is bound to turn up sooner or later, right?

Microsoft has upcoming goodies like Scalebound and Get Even that we're still waiting for gameplay footage on as well as rumors abound of a return to form for Rare with the possibility of a new Conker game or even a Perfect Dark or Kameo sequel (I personally want a new Viva Pinata game as well) and BlackTusk is working on an original IP alongside the new Gears of War. Lionhead is also working on an original IP not called Fable that will likely be Xbox exclusive or at most Xbox and PC.)

Not much reason to be excited for the PS4 at the moment, but lots of reasons to look forward to both consoles revealing more in the future. At this moment in time, though, most games are multiplatform and a lot are even still going to last-gen consoles, so there's really no right or wrong answer for choosing a console right now.

Like I've always said, you've gotta go where the games are. Microsoft, though a bit shy about original IPs, has always had a strong stable of dependable franchises whereas Sony takes a more open approach with a wider range of genre and more original IP. The issue with Playstation lately, however, is that they seem to have put most of their bets on Naughty Dog. They pushed this remake of TLoU and with Uncharted 4 a ways off and no Resistance or Killzone coming out, they seem to have put all their money on Destiny, which isn't even exclusive. On the PS3, my favorite games were The Last of Us, Uncharted 2, Beyond: Two Souls, and Heavy Rain. Literally 2 developers in the entire 7 year lifespan of the console.

Now the PS4 does have some appealing exclusives on the way if you're into those things but for every Drive Club and Gran Turismo they get, we've still got Forza and Forza Horizon (I only list the two because they're quite different beasts.) They have LittleBigPlanet, but we have Project Spark. They have Uncharted 4, but we've got Tomb Raider (temporary, but for probably a year.)

The only exclusives I can really say stand out on the PS4 are No Man's Sky, The Order, and Bloodborne. NMS is coming to PC and will likely see XB1 release as well. The Order and Bloodborne are the only exclusives that really holds, even if it Bloodborne just a knockoff of their own Demon and Dark Souls (plus it is competing with the multiplat Lords of the Fallen and Shadows of Mordor.) The Order actually looks like a genuinely wonderful experience and I can't wait to experience it. Currently NMS and The Order are the only two games that I could warrant owning a PS4 for.

Xbox One, meanwhile, has the colorful, high-speed, acrobatic Sunset Overdrive, the superpowered, City Scaling, Car Launching Crackdown, the apocalyptic and mysterious 'card game without cards' reboot of Phantom Dust (if you didn't play the original, do yourself a favor and find a copy of it.) Plus the always-exciting Halo Compiltion with 4 full campaigns, 4 fully-functional and online-accessible multiplayer modes followed by the release of Halo 5 next year, a fresh new take on the Fable Series that hopes to bring it close to a cross of games like Gauntlet and Quest for Epic Loot, and Gears of War's first foray with it's new developer as a wholly-owned license of Microsoft Games Studio (which the Halo Franchise has proven they're not going to let their stuff go underfunded and released with low quality.) Than Remedy is working on the time-controlling romper Quantum Break, which coming from Alan Wake and Max Payne, I can only guess will be a blast. Than we have the chaotic Themepark simulator Screamride, which I could only really think to compare to Thrillville or Roller Coast Tycoon, but with Crack Cocaine and Heroin in it's system.

I won't sit here and say Xbox has a perfect exclusive Lineup, of our current known offering, you're hard-pressed to find recent or upcoming games to match them.

Plus there are always glimpses of other goodies waiting to be explored. Sony is rocking the Crash Bandicoot revival rumor (which would, again, be hedging the bets on Naughty Dog) and a new Ratchet and Clank ( which is as similar as we're going to get to Sunset Overdrive, likely because it's the same developers.) David Cage is always cooking something wonderful over at Quantic Dream and I can't wait for another game like Heavy Rain and Beyond. Plus The Last Guardian is bound to turn up sooner or later, right?

Microsoft has upcoming goodies like Scalebound and Get Even that we're still waiting for gameplay footage on as well as rumors abound of a return to form for Rare with the possibility of a new Conker game or even a Perfect Dark or Kameo sequel (I personally want a new Viva Pinata game as well) and BlackTusk is working on an original IP alongside the new Gears of War. Lionhead is also working on an original IP not called Fable that will likely be Xbox exclusive or at most Xbox and PC.)

Not much reason to be excited for the PS4 at the moment, but lots of reasons to look forward to both consoles revealing more in the future. At this moment in time, though, most games are multiplatform and a lot are even still going to last-gen consoles, so there's really no right or wrong answer for choosing a console right now.

Very well said (and detailed!)

Don't know what it is, but The Order never really appealed to me on the PS4. It looks great and all, but I feel gameplay-wise it might just be generic.

Fable Legends looks like it'll be great (loved LOVED Fable II) so that's definitely on my list. Sunset Overdrive looks like crazy fun (which reminds me of Crackdown meets Left 4 Dead meets inFamous). I love Halo and have played all except Halo 2, but now I'll finally be able to! Cannot count how many times I've played Halo: Reach and its campaign.

Also, Forza Horizon 2 looks like it'll be great. Is Forza 5 any good? I'm not big on racing sims, but I did like the Burnout games and Motorstorm on PS.