A Guide to the Best Weapons and Armor (Includes "God" Armor)

Method

Brilliant Guide.

Struggling with the Alchemy parts of this (perhaps because I don't want to use any perks up in it), it just isn't turning any real profit. No retailers have the optimal ingredients and I am way to impatient to continuously re stock them.

Smithing and Enchanting is working a treat though, will be at 100 for those tonight then start on my Dragon Scale!

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant Guide.

Struggling with the Alchemy parts of this (perhaps because I don't want to use any perks up in it), it just isn't turning any real profit. No retailers have the optimal ingredients and I am way to impatient to continuously re stock them.

Smithing and Enchanting is working a treat though, will be at 100 for those tonight then start on my Dragon Scale!

you really want to spend the time doing the alchemy though. it's frustrating and slow to start, but it picks up. just "restock", buy, "restock", buy, brew, sell, lather, rinse and repeat. at first, you're going to only want to buy the ingredients that allow you to make the high profit potions. after awhile, you can just go crazy and start clearing her out of everything. i went from about 46,000g to 82,000g when i got to 100 and i still have a bunch of potions left over. it nets you mad bank and eventually, through method's process, it gives you the ability to make the fortify smithing potion that skyrocket's your armor's rating. that's the really important part. there is a big difference between a fortify smithing potion @ 50% than one @ 130%.

and i'm all done :)

i have my light dragon armor set (armor, boots, gauntlets, helmet) with an 1156 rating (1310 with the shield). a bit excessive, but come at me bro lol. however, i prefer to use the dragon guardian masks for right now. i've been using the "Morokei" mask since it has a 100% faster magicka regen perk, so really i only have a 940 rating. still a lot more than i could ask for :). now i just have to figure out what to enchant the set with... i like method's idea of basically free restoration/destructive magic use, but i don't know how to go about getting that, or even if it's the most effective for my guy. any suggestions?

Edited by mchunthunt

you really want to spend the time doing the alchemy though. it's frustrating and slow to start, but it picks up. just "restock", buy, "restock", buy, brew, sell, lather, rinse and repeat. at first, you're going to only want to buy the ingredients that allow you to make the high profit potions. after awhile, you can just go crazy and start clearing her out of everything. i went from about 46,000g to 82,000g when i got to 100 and i still have a bunch of potions left over. it nets you mad bank and eventually, through method's process, it gives you the ability to make the fortify smithing potion that skyrocket's your armor's rating. that's the really important part. there is a big difference between a fortify smithing potion @ 50% than one @ 130%.

Yeah I do want the 130% bonus. I have made myself a decent amount of money on smithing and enchanting now so I guess I'll do mine back to front.

I'll crack on with the expert training too.

After reading the guide, I have one question. If you have built that Uber weapon/armor, doesn't that take the fun out of the whole game when you are preety much immortal and one-hit kill everything? I fear that I will spend hours after hours grinding and then having no real reward, because the whole game is no challenge at all...

For those of you who have completed this, are there any challenges left, any enemies that could become dangerous?

When you are restocking and you say "hit the guide button at almost the same time" what button are you talking about? I'm not sure what the "guide button" is, and you say it will make the waiting 48 hours faster. I couldn't figure out what the guide button was, I prob should of just looked at the controls section in the game, but was too busy grinding out potions hahaha. Thanks! Great guide, that to me feels more like grinding then some sort of glitch, which just feels I dunno "clean" hahaha.

After reading the guide, I have one question. If you have built that Uber weapon/armor, doesn't that take the fun out of the whole game when you are preety much immortal and one-hit kill everything? I fear that I will spend hours after hours grinding and then having no real reward, because the whole game is no challenge at all...

For those of you who have completed this, are there any challenges left, any enemies that could become dangerous?

There's still plenty of challenge at Master difficulty. Plus if you don't use any resist magic enchantments, mages can still hurt you pretty bad. Also, on master you don't one hit kill everything. Even with my swords that do 534 damage each I still can't one hit kill dragons, guards, giants and other higher level enemies.

When you are restocking and you say "hit the guide button at almost the same time" what button are you talking about? I'm not sure what the "guide button" is, and you say it will make the waiting 48 hours faster. I couldn't figure out what the guide button was, I prob should of just looked at the controls section in the game, but was too busy grinding out potions hahaha. Thanks! Great guide, that to me feels more like grinding then some sort of glitch, which just feels I dunno "clean" hahaha.
The guide button is the button with the xbox symbol in the middle of the controller. The one you use to bring up the friends/achievements/messages menus.

The best enchantment to have on your weapons is the only enchantment he didn't list: Banish. I can typically sell any iron dagger enchanted with Banish for anywhere between 1,400-1,800 gold, depending on the gender of the merchant. I can sell them for around 2,000-2,500 gold if I dual-enchant them with Absorb Health & Banish. I don't know if Paralyze/Banish would sell more, though.

It's recommended that you either invest in the merchant's business or increase their bartering price by 1,000 if you decide to sell these daggers, as most merchants most likely won't have 2,000 gold to give you for a single dagger.

Added the banish enchantment info into the guide. I've seen this enchantment a few rimes but never thought to test it out. It's not the rarest enchantment to find though (at least for me). I restocked the Khajit merchant in front of Riften 75+ times until I finally found a pair of boots with the muffle enchantment. Totally worth it though as muffle makes you a ninja... Edited by Method

The xbox guide button, the main, switch on controller button (silver X in the middle of the controller) it makes the countdown way faster, almost makes waiting bearable lol

Oh ok, thanks guys!

I don't think I'm going to create armor that is as high of level as the guide takes it (for my first play through). But I don't want to drop the difficulty level, and it seems like I keep getting killed all the time. This guide will help allow me to make some decent armor so I can at lest have some fun, but still be challenging, while out doing quests. So thanks again.

Also, a more effective way of stockpiling filled soul gems is to fast-travel to Winterhold College and enter the door on the right-hand side of the courtyard. Around 2-4AM there's typically 4 mage merchants/trainers sleeping in their beds, along with an Enchanting Apparatus on the second floor of the quarters. You can generally purchase around 10-15 soul gems in one go depending on what they're selling, ideally common/lesser/petty.

Here is what I did:

1. Wait until around 2-3AM for the mage merchants to all sleep (to get them all in the same area).

2. Purchase every filled common/lesser/petty soul gem from them.

2a) If you have any enchanted daggers on you at the time of purchasing soul gems from them, go ahead and sell them to them now.

3. Go to the enchanting table on the second floor and enchant your daggers.

3a) If the merchants still have gold to barter with after enchanting, go ahead and sell them more of your daggers.

4. Wait 48hrs, then rinse and repeat, selling your daggers as you restock their bartering gold and purchasing soul gems.

note: it's best to do the above steps with a large cache of normal daggers, so you don't have to keep traveling between cities to re-smith more daggers.

Edited by Kraderic

Are you sure that 29% is the maximum for alchemy and smithing? I can't get past 27% on alchemy:

• Had a mixed set of alchemy gear, 20%, 20%, 14%, and 14%
  • Was able to make a 21% enchanting potion
  • Made some more gear with the 21% enchanting potion
  • Now had Helmet, Gloves, Ring, and Necklace all with 26% alchemy
  • Was able to make a 29% enchanting potion with all four 26% alchemy gear equipped
  • Used the 29% enchanting potion and was able to make 27% alchemy gear
  • Equipped all four of the 27% alchemy gear but was only still able to make 29% enchanting potions

Good thing I came across DezMonD88's post about the Falmer Helmet being able to be equipped with a circlet. I was able to make a Falmer Helmet with 27% alchemy, and then I had a Circlet of Eminent Alchemy with 20% alchemy, along with my other three 27% alchemy gear, and now my enchanting potions are 32%.

Just made a Circlet with 27% alchemy, so that now I have five pieces of 27% alchemy gear, and now my enchanting potions are 33%. I drank the 33% enchanting potion, but it would still only let me make 27% alchemy gear, so 27% is definitely the alchemy cap and 33% for enchanting. Not sure how you got your numbers.

So the best possible set of Fortify gear is as follows:

1. Falmer Helmet (27% Fortify Alchemy)
  2. Circlet (27% Fortify Alchemy)
  3. Gloves (27% Fortify Alchemy / 27% Fortify Smithing)
  4. Ring (27% Fortify Alchemy / 27% Fortify Smithing)
  5. Necklace (27% Fortify Alchemy / 27% Fortify Smithing)
  6. Armor (27% Fortify Smithing)

7. 33% Fortify Enchanting Potion
  8. 132% Fortify Smithing Potion

I have the exact same set up, except mine caps at 23% for Fortify alchemy/smithing.

I make 32% fortify enchanting potion and 129% fortify smithing potion, so I guess the difference is quite negligible...

Im nearing 100 in alchemy. I had Arcadia train me at lower levels then I would pickpocket my gold back from her. Never got caught. Then one day I enter her shop after looking around town for a fortify alchemy/smithing item and there's this guy talking with her behind the counter, another leaning against the wall, and another sitting in the chair near the door I came in. Everyone looks at me and Arcadia says "You need to get out" just as the three guys start after me. I bolt out the door and a huge fight ensues around the town well. I kill them and on one of their bodies is a contract from Arcadia to kill me. She's lucky I still needed her; otherwise I'd have slain her where she stood for sending HiredThugs after me.

I've gotten my apparel up to 28% for alchemy and smithing, but my potions aren't getting past 113% though. My main problem is finding the ingredients, I'm sick to death of constantly restocking at Arcadia's, I'm getting more Daedra Hearts than friggin snowberries. I guess 113% will have to do I'll still be a tank... hopefully.

There is a Fortify Health potion that consists of Giant's Toe and Wheat that is worth like 1660. That's the highest potion I've found using only 2 ingredients. Might be worth it to check that out, even though Giant's Toe barely gets restocked, maybe every 2-3 48 hr waits if that.

So my armour rating is currently sitting at 560 with 2 juggernaut perks, but a bunch of bandits did some serious damage to me! I still took them out with relative ease but I was expecting a lot less damage to be taken... did I do it right!? I'm on Adept difficulty atm.

EDIT: It's now sitting at 720 (over the cap, I know) with the Well Fitted perk.

Edited by Norn Irons No1

So i did most of these things prior to this guide (minus the potion making stuff, I just horded all my found potions in a chest) and finally got my enchanting to 100 and started making my gear. And from how I made this, I see that doing this makes the game very very EASY. My sword dmg is almost 400 and then add the 37 fire dmg and 37 lightning. I am also seeing that now my destro spells are 1-shotting regular mobs. This makes the game alot of fun but at the same time way too easy. Maybe at this gear level I should move the diff to Master?

But great guide. I do love the walk-through. Well said and laid out. Although I would like to point out (not sure if anyone else already said this) that while enchanting if you want to pause the potion countdown you can just hit the xbox button on the controller to think about what you want and not waste time looking through them all. And also that while giving a name to your item, the timer does not go down as you are in the console editor and not the live game. :)

So i did most of these things prior to this guide (minus the potion making stuff, I just horded all my found potions in a chest) and finally got my enchanting to 100 and started making my gear. And from how I made this, I see that doing this makes the game very very EASY. My sword dmg is almost 400 and then add the 37 fire dmg and 37 lightning. I am also seeing that now my destro spells are 1-shotting regular mobs. This makes the game alot of fun but at the same time way too easy. Maybe at this gear level I should move the diff to Master?

But great guide. I do love the walk-through. Well said and laid out. Although I would like to point out (not sure if anyone else already said this) that while enchanting if you want to pause the potion countdown you can just hit the xbox button on the controller to think about what you want and not waste time looking through them all. And also that while giving a name to your item, the timer does not go down as you are in the console editor and not the live game. :)

i thought the same, but i just keep kicking up the difficulty when i start feeling the game is getting too easy.

As I stated before. I'm a total noob to Elder Scrolls & RPG's. Had a little trouble with crafting at the Alchemy's Table. Searched the net and found this

"Skyrim Alchemy Helper" http://skyrim.iamnoah.com

Hope this contributes to the cause.

I started the guide yesterday. Played just a few hours. I'm at Level 11 - Alchemy 54

kinda of confused on the training. Had 8000 gold but couldn't get it back ?!?!?!

Edited by BONECRUSHER

Really loving this guide. The only thing i cant do is the Fast Wait. but i dont mind still great.

how come? all you need to do is hit a and the middle xbox guide button at the same time and wait about 6 or 7 generous seconds (or when you can see your compass at the top of the screen again)