Ending Discussion Thread - All other threads will be deleted!

The Pants Party

How do you feel about the ending?  

471 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the ending?

• I love it.
    • I like it as-is.
    • I like the indoctrination theory.
    • I like it, but the lack of closure bothers me.
    • I dislike it, but I may like it with some elaboration and clarification.
    • I dislike it, and hope they make a new ending.
    • I dislike it, and believe the indoctrination theory.
    • I hate it.

It was guessed 2 years ago

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/970146/1

go down to about post 6 and find

Exactly. There are two endings I wouldn't like for ME 3. One being a random GOD LIKE force that saves the Galaxy or another being that to defeat the Reapers, everyone has to become a primitivst and destroy the Relays, Citadel, etc. Both would make me pretty unhappy as those endings have been done to death.

This comes from a topic about a planet in ME1 that had this in the description:

Klencory is famously claimed by the eccentric volus

billionaire Kumun Shol. He claims that a vision of a higher being told

him to seek on Klencory the "lost crypts of beings of light." These

entities were supposedly created at the dawn of time to protect organic

life from synthetic "machine devils."

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was guessed 2 years ago

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/970146/1

go down to about post 6 and find

This comes from a topic about a planet in ME1 that had this in the description:

I remember getting a chuckle out of that "eccentric volus" story in the Klencory description when playing the first game, but it was so long ago now I'd completely forgotten about it and it didn't occur to me when I hit ME3's ending. Seemed irrelevant and just a giggle thrown in by the devs at the time, the galaxy is full of eccentric crackpots after all. ;)

I still want some of those protest cupcakes. Thinking about the ending makes me crave cake now.

Band of mercenaries, excavations, beings of light, I smell a DLC trip to Klencory.

Edited by Opiate42

I think the real problem with the ending isn't what we hear from the Catalyst about their purpose. I think the real mistake truly is that they bothered to give a purpose, a reason. I'm pretty sure that when Drew Karpyshyn was writing out any scene with the Reapers, 'mysterious' was a quality they were aiming for. Their motives were never meant to be known. It was stated several times that their motives and intentions were likely beyond our comprehension. Since the cycle's been repeating for so long, the actual beginning is too far back for them to introduce anything about their origins or purpose except one given by the Reapers themselves. There was no sensible way to introduce the plot elements regarding their true purpose before the very end, there's no purpose that "can't be comprehended" that can be shoved into the last few minutes, and actually explaining their origins eliminates their mysterious nature.

They should have had a decision relating to sacrifice in some way to defeat the Reapers, since choice is kind of a big thing, but explaining something that "can't be comprehended" in a few minutes is going to leave people way too confused to accept what's happening." There's just no satisfying way to explain something that's supposed to be ineffable. People are acting now like the dark matter thing would have made a lot more sense, but there was a heavy fan backlash then too. Honestly, I think that 'explanation' has way more wrong with it (in terms of what is and isn't a rational course of action to achieve a given goal) than what we got. I think if that's what they'd used as the ending, this same thread, and all of the same fan outrage, would still exist. They should have just ended it without ever satisfying that need to understand the Reapers.

Thank you, that's what I always thought. Why is there a need to explain the Reapers reasoning? Why the need to explain them (and in the last 5 minutes of the game)? I personaly wouldn't have had a problem with never getting to understand them or the reasons for what they are/were doing for the past several million years (more or less). You can't explain that many years of reasoning and hinking in such short a time.

That beeing said: I liked the ending the way it was, minus the not showing what happened to the squad part, and am looking forward to the press release in april about the future of ME3 and possible DLC.

Ok, question for anyone:

How does the game determine who is on the Normandy with Joker when he crashes?

My two were Javik and James, who I used the least. I saw a video of the ending and they had Liara and Garrus. And another video shows Ashley and Garrus.

Any idea how that works?

Ok, question for anyone:

How does the game determine who is on the Normandy with Joker when he crashes?

My two were Javik and James, who I used the least. I saw a video of the ending and they had Liara and Garrus. And another video shows Ashley and Garrus.

Any idea how that works?

One is your love interest, the other is the squadmate that you chose for the most missions. If you didn't romance anyone (not sure who wouldn't), then I think it's random.

One is your love interest, the other is the squadmate that you chose for the most missions. If you didn't romance anyone (not sure who wouldn't), then I think it's random.

I turned down Liara in the beginning (who I romanced in ME1), and Jack (who I romanced in ME2) barely played a part in this game at all. I must've used James more than I thought, and Javik was the random. Or the other way around.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

That's half true. I romanced Miranda but of course she is not on the Normandy. So maybe it is just random after that?

That's half true. I romanced Miranda but of course she is not on the Normandy. So maybe it is just random after that?

Let me rephrase....If you didn't romance anyone that was with you on the Normandy. I have seen people that romanced Jack, Miranda or Thane report so many different random people appearing in the end that I have to believe that it is, in fact, random. It could possibly be the second most chosen person but I haven't seen a large enough sample size to verify that.

Edited by ColdSpider72

I think it is obvious we didn't get the ending we wanted, because the story is not finished.

Just look at how Anderson ended up at the Control Room, yet there was no other way to get there except by going by the way Shepard went. And Illusive Man appearing out of nowhere, all an illusion.

H

Edited by bxbomber

Thank you, that's what I always thought. Why is there a need to explain the Reapers reasoning? Why the need to explain them (and in the last 5 minutes of the game)? I personaly wouldn't have had a problem with never getting to understand them or the reasons for what they are/were doing for the past several million years (more or less). You can't explain that many years of reasoning and hinking in such short a time.

I would have totally had a problem with not explaining. I think a lot of people would have been pissed, but it would have fueled continuing speculation, stimulated enticing discussions, and possibly even been a huge draw for future DLC. I would have preferred DLC to what basically amounted to shoehorning it all in to about 15 lines of dialogue.

That beeing said: I liked the ending the way it was, minus the not showing what happened to the squad part, and am looking forward to the press release in april about the future of ME3 and possible DLC.

I liked the explanation/reason given, but one thing bugs me; in ME2's ending, there was a direct consequence, in terms of gameplay and the way the scenes play out, to having done or ignored loyalty missions, and to handling disputes in which you could lose loyalty properly. There was even a difference between pursuing the Collectors immediately after the crew was abducted vs. taking a bit of time. In the game, there are those side-missions with the Geth primes, there's the issue of whether you betray the Krogan or not, all sorts of possible war assets that you could either collect or ignore, and it doesn't change the way the scenes play out. Some of the stuff, like the fleets, wouldn't be part of the ground forces, but a lot of the war assets would have no part in the battle unless they were ground-forces, and the only difference we see is between Wrex rallying Krogan ground troops vs. some Salarian dude doing the same.

Between that, the rushed nature of the final scene, and leaving out any hint as to what happens after the main game's events have played out, the ending is kind of lame. It's just weird that the aspect I did like is the one that seems to be pissing most people off.

You gather all of these races and their fleets, in my case

Alliance, Krogan, Quarions, geth and asari all came to earth with me..

Now just assuming the ending is the ending with no illusions and stuff just

strait up ending..

I end the game and all Mass relays are destroyed,, How does everyone get home?

How can Sheppard be the only person to be able to defeat indoctrination? They say Sheppard has a very strong mind but it still wasn't enough to combat Morinth's abilities to fry someone's mind. At best even Matriarch Benezia could temporarily halt the full processes and that took tremendous mental strength to do by blocking out a part of her mind.

Another thing that can be added to the Indoctrination theory is that Shepard is part synthetic, he has implants as a result from Cerberus reviving him. Cerberus as we all learned has been messing around with Reaper Tech, before they even brought Shepard back. Shepard's implants are most likely some form of Reaper tech. Let's not forget Reapers have the technology to reanimate the dead.

Im glad someone else thought this too. Ive been thinking this when I read the indoctrination theory. Shepard does have a lot of tech in him, so who is to say some of that tech isnt of reaper origin?

You gather all of these races and their fleets, in my case

Alliance, Krogan, Quarions, geth and asari all came to earth with me..

Now just assuming the ending is the ending with no illusions and stuff just

strait up ending..

I end the game and all Mass relays are destroyed,, How does everyone get home?

Yup.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2db5rgm.jpg

Brilliant

heres the thing that doesnt make sense to me about the indoctrination theory. assuming that its true, why bother showing us the players the whole bit with joker and the normandy? or even showing the energy going through the mass relays? was that some sort of attempt on biowares part to mislead us, the players, about shepard being indoctrinated? because that makes no sense. if it was indoctrination they would have made it obvious and not showed some out of place cutscene afterwards that completely goes against shepard being indoctrinated. it also makes no sense if that part was also all in shepards head too. it would have stopped when they were done with shepard. it would have stopped after the choice was made.

if the final cutscene is real, that implies that the reapers really did give shepard those 3 options. if so... worst. indoctrination attempt. ever. because they gave him the option to destroy them. they wouldnt have given him that option. which makes the whole "breath scene" at the end of the destroy ending make no sense either. it would have been easier and made more sense to just deceive him into doing something that resulted in his death.

basically what im saying is, if they have enough control over shepard to show him something like the joker/normandy scene in his head, i just dont buy that scene and this 3 choices thing is the best they could come up with. like i said, it would be easier and make more sense to keep him under in a fantasy world.

if the joker/normandy cutscene was the real world, the indoc theory makes no sense.

Edited by edgecrusherhalo

EA: "BW, ME3 ending is shitty, and we have you to thank for our deliverance"

BW: "We did the right thing."

EA: "Always willing to whatever it takes to earn money. You are starting to learn. By making such a horrible ending, we can create a Ending DLC, which makes the ending much more better and then we can sell it. This adaption could be biggest advance in game indrusty since the Day 1 DLC. It will secure our dominance in game indrusty, against the gamers and beyond."

http://i44.tinypic.com/rw2m48.jpg

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/6038/abcwo.jpg

Edited by xXmyxxmastaXx

Another thing that can be added to the Indoctrination theory is that Shepard is part synthetic, he has implants as a result from Cerberus reviving him. Cerberus as we all learned has been messing around with Reaper Tech, before they even brought Shepard back. Shepard's implants are most likely some form of Reaper tech. Let's not forget Reapers have the technology to reanimate the dead.

yea but by that logic someone could say that shepard has been indoctrinated from the beginning of mass effect 2 when he was first resurrected. uh oh, better not say that. now someone is going to play mass effect 2 and find all sorts of "coincidences" along the way to prove that its been indoctrination this whole time and then make a video and put it on youtube.

So annoyed I didn't get a chance to romance Miranda :mad:

Anyway, I feel the ending was fine. Don't really know what to say. But Leaving some things open is always good. It leads your mind wonder what happened. Why shouldn't need to fill the story every square inch, they leave room to see what others can think happened, leave theories.

So I just completed the game and not sure why all the anger...maybe cause my expectations were too low. I did pick several different endings....so I can see where going through a second play-through would be a HUGE disappointment. I mean they couldn't make 3 different cut-scene endings?