DLC Any good?

TheThreeStooges

I think the challenges are a creative and cool way to get you to use some of the abilities that you may have overlooked in the main game. I don't fault the challenges themselves, although some are less interesting than others (I am looking at you, Bonfires). If you don't care about score or achievements than you will probably have some fun with these, especially at the low price point.

However, if you do care about score and especially achievements, then this DLC is absolutely dreadful. When you have a game that has achievements with a low-moderate level of difficulty and then tack on achievements that are as close to impossible as any achievement I have ever attempted, there is no other way to put it then to say that they fucked us. I've done Mile High Club (COD4), Hard to the Core (Dead Space 2), expert runs in L4D and L4D2, and completed Dark Souls with no complaint whatsoever. I enjoyed those challenges. These? These achievements are bullshit.

I have done all that I can stand with this DLC for now. I am walking away from the rest to wait to see if a patch comes out (highly doubtful), but I want to be sure before I devote the weeks it will take me to finish up this DLC.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I thought it was pretty good. For only 400 Microsoft Points you get a good variety of fun challenges that test your ability in combat, stealth, and puzzles. The atmosphere of each challenge is also aesthetically pleasing and you could tell they put a lot of work into it.

However, the achievements are arduous and require lots and lots of dedication, skill, and luck.

I have been in 2 minds about whether to get this dlc, on the one hand I really enjoyed the game but on the other I think it finished nicely and don't really understand how dlc would fit into the story. I think I will probably give it a miss after reading some of the comments in this thread.

Cannot believe all the hate for this DLC. Seriously. Have NONE of you played Mirror's Edge? Portal? Or any game that puts your ability to master it to the test? These trials are basically on par with the trials from those games. And personally, I think they're great. These are what achievements are meant to be: work.

I'm not even close to completing them. And it's entirely likely that I may never. But all of you pissing and moaning about how terrible this content is need to drink a tall glass of shut the fuck up.

This content is incredibly well done from a technical standpoint. Hell, just playing through each level gives you an idea of how much effort went into it. Yet all most of you are doing is fucking trashing it as garbage because of the achievements??? Fuck that. I'll take a challenge any day of the week over a freebie where achievements are concerned. Especially when the content they're coming from is this well done.

And at 400 points? This content is a steal for what it offers in terms of variety and replay. Unless you're an achievement whore that doesn't actually like working for you achievements, apparently...

So glad I didn't bother even looking in this sub-forum until after I'd purchased the content. It's filled with nothing but bullshit, sprinkled with the occasional helpful post.

Edited by ThePumpkinKing

• 2 weeks later...
Cannot believe all the hate for this DLC. Seriously. Have NONE of you played Mirror's Edge? Portal? Or any game that puts your ability to master it to the test? These trials are basically on par with the trials from those games. And personally, I think they're great. These are what achievements are meant to be: work.

I'm not even close to completing them. And it's entirely likely that I may never. But all of you pissing and moaning about how terrible this content is need to drink a tall glass of shut the fuck up.

This content is incredibly well done from a technical standpoint. Hell, just playing through each level gives you an idea of how much effort went into it. Yet all most of you are doing is fucking trashing it as garbage because of the achievements??? Fuck that. I'll take a challenge any day of the week over a freebie where achievements are concerned. Especially when the content they're coming from is this well done.

And at 400 points? This content is a steal for what it offers in terms of variety and replay. Unless you're an achievement whore that doesn't actually like working for you achievements, apparently...

So glad I didn't bother even looking in this sub-forum until after I'd purchased the content. It's filled with nothing but bullshit, sprinkled with the occasional helpful post.

There is a difference between a challenge and complete luck. Most of these "trails" would be much easier if luck didn't play a huge part in them. You have Bonfires where the order that the beams spawn is completely random, so if they spawn too far away from each other you have no chance. Train Runner on Expert spawns you with a RANDOM amount of mana at the start. The "By My Hand Alone" achievement is based purely on what enemies spawn and where they spawn.

Although I will admit that SOME (not all) of the trials were somewhat enjoyable. Kill Chain and Bend Time Massacre were fine. Both Burglar and Mystery Foe were fine. It was really the combat and mobility trails that sucked.

The Pumpkin King - It would seem that you have not understood people's frustration with the DLC.

As fat turkey has stated its the fact that the majority of these achievements rely heavily on luck, not skill. In fact when you do get the luck these achievements aren't massively difficult. For instance for the daredevil achievement when i actually got the luck with the spawns of the beams of light i got the achievement with over 50 seconds left on the clock, however i must of had at least 100 attempts at this!

I'm all for difficult achievements and would have much preferred for the achievement to be very difficult with no luck required. So perhaps it could have been reaching 100k score but the beams of light were consistent, this would have been difficult but at least i knew it was down to my skill and abilities which would be much easier to live with!

is it worth the money?

It's ok? I've been playing it for a week now and that's the best I can describe it. The trials are real glitchy, but some of them are still pretty fun. It's the ones that are unforgivingly brutal which will have you aggravated.

If you're getting it to be a completionist, be warned you're in for some controller-throwingly hard achievements.

I'd say yes it's worth the 400, definitely worth the 160 it was on April 1.

• 2 months later...

Kudos, though, somebody might have actually finally made something as worthless as Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot.

Hail to that my friend. I hated Underdome Riot, so did everyone else, and this felt like a cheap as shit money grab that has ruined my opinion of this game. I was excited to pick this up and then Knife of Dunwall, now I won't bother.

If Arkane will make such a crappy DLC that is so different from the main game, then excuse me while I don't buy the rest of your offerings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This DLC is quite possibly the worst DLC I have ever played in my life. It's literally the definition of "Trial and error" and you have to hope you get lucky for nearly all the Achievements. Do not buy this.

Having just 1000/1000'd the main game, both the story DLCs and then decided not to bother going for the full completion because of this DLC, I have to say I couldn't agree with this more if I tried. Definitely one of the worst pieces of DLC I've played, if not the worst.

• 6 months later...

The DLC also has the worst achievements ever. I probably played the DLC for 20 hours to get rid of all the achievements while it probably took me 15 hours to get all the achievements for the main game. It was all based on luck which is why it suck so much... awful stuff.

Edited by ParoXysm QC

• 4 months later...

Shush...you're on the wrong site

DLC is shit.../end topic.