Should I play Final Fantasy?

ryanamich

If you like JRPGs, then yes, you should play them. If not, then no.

As for which one is the best to start with, there's more answers than there are games, as each one is a favorite of someone, though VI, VII, and X tend to be the most popular. Otherwise, If you're completely new to the JRPG genre, I'd suggest IV as a starting point or trying Chrono Trigger instead (If you feel you can't play older games because of graphics, then Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia would be the best starting points for this generation of consoles).

Sure, why not?It has a great story, so yes it's worth a play.

You cant start with any because in every game the story line and the characters are different. The only thing they keep is the similer battle system. but anyway you should start with final fantasy X for the ps2. it was my favorite. then if you can get x-2(its suppose to be a sequal).also if you can try to squeeze in #12.

note: each game will take abou a month or more to finish.

Edited by vickysunny

It's only a juggernaut because it was a gateway game. For most people, it was their first RPG, and thus became the standard of comparison, similar to how kids nowadays compare games to the latest Call of Duty.

Does this make it a bad game? Sorry, I forgot, you're a l33t RPG gamer! You couldn't possibly enjoy a gateway game.

Does this make it a bad game? Sorry, I forgot, you're a l33t RPG gamer! You couldn't possibly enjoy a gateway game.

He never stated it was a bad game he just stated that the reason so many people like it is because it's the first RPG they played. Anyway I would say play from I-X though I didn't like VII or VIII you might,there's been plenty of remakes and ports of the older games so there should be no trouble finding them now either.

My personal breakdown/recommendations

I. O.G. old school FF. It's fun, but I'd recommend it more for seeing where it all started after you play something else.

II, III. Haven't played.

IV. A good place to start, good story, 16 bit graphics (although with the remakes I guess I-III are as well, if not 32 bit.)

V. Haven't played but it's highly praised for its job system.

VI. This is where I got into the series. Great story, great value for money. A great place to start.

VII. I don't understand the hate this game gets these days. I thought it was excellent (played it 7 times). It was the first 3D/CG Final Fantasy, it has a great story for the most part, and is fun. This would also be a good place to start. Yes, nostalgia remains strong and the graphics stink compared to today's standards, but it's still a great play.

VIII. Interesting story, better graphics than VII. I don't really consider this as a gateway or starting point to jump into the series, but it could work.

IX. In my opinion, it was released too quickly after VIII and I did not like the cartoonish graphics. The story was okay, and some of the tweaks (like the card game, decreased summons) didn't sit well with me. Could still be a fun play.

X. My personal favorite, the first one for the PS2 (and scheduled for an HD remake. Someday.) The story and characters are good, although people feel very strongly about that one way or the other. Graphics are excellent. The international version gives you more to do, including an hour-long fight with the ultimate boss...

XI. If you like grinding and online fees, this is your game. If it were free I would give it a go, but...

XII. Haven't played, though I have heard it is good.

XIII. You either love it, you hate it, or you love it and then hate it when you start killing turtles. Easy to start with, because it's actually available for current gen systems. It's criticized for it's linearity (although my friend recently went back to FFX, and noted that while it is highly linear as well, a much better story makes X seem a LOT better than XIII.) I would recommend playing this after other FFs so you can compare.

So, to summarize, I would recommend starting with IV, VI, VII or X and branching out from there.