Do You Invert The Y-Axis?

Xscapist

Inverted, and how long have you been gaming?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Inverted, and how long have you been gaming?

• Inverted (since 8-bit era)
    • Not inverted (since 8-bit era)
    • Inverted (since 16-bit era)
    • Not inverted (since 16-bit era)
    • Inverted (since 32/64-bit era)
    • Not inverted (since 32/64-bit era)
    • Inverted (since 128-bit era)
    • Not inverted (since 128-bit era)
    • Inverted (since current era)
    • Not inverted (since current era)

I can play either way, but if possible I always switch the Y-Axis to inverted (and all third-person games I invert the X-Axis as well.)

I'm only 21, but I started gaming back on the Atari 2600. Didn't start inverting until 2003 though. I played default Halo: CE for 2 years, but one day at a party I was stuck on a profile that was inverted and didn't have a chance to change it. After that, I've been an invert gamer ever sine.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Great to see most real gamers invert there controls. All my friends play non inverted and I just don't see how they do it. It just seems unnatural to me.

How do you figure most "real gamers" invert from a few posts on a forum? Gamers who invert are very much the minority. Hell, you even gave a sample audience that directly disproves your misguided claims.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny to see more people who're struggling with the controls for this game. I played this game on gamecube before, and don't remember it being a problem back then, but then again, I don't remember inverting the y-axis either. I don't know when I started doing that, or what game I played that engrained this into my brain. But it is now, and not being able to have the x-axis on normal while y is inverted turned fun into frustration for at least the first hour of this game, and frankly made me set it aside for a while to get to playing a game which controls aren't in the way for me. Which is a shame, because this is a great game.

• 1 month later...

http://gamepeople.wordpress.com/2006/11/07/down-is-up/ sums it up nice, I think. It's just what's more intuitive for you. I have yet to get this, but i'm tempted for the cyber monday sale... yet the controls in the demo were extremely off-putting. And unlike Silent Hill Homecoming, I'm not in love enough with the design/genre enough to just put up with it.

How do you figure most "real gamers" invert from a few posts on a forum? Gamers who invert are very much the minority. Hell, you even gave a sample audience that directly disproves your misguided claims.

Because every poll on every forum like this ever has the same results. A 2:1 result in favor of inverting the Y axis. Sure, that ignores all the casuals who never post of game forums. if only the other poster could have been more clear, like by using the word "real" to clarify what type of gamers he meant...

Edited by SmarmySmurf

Because every poll on every forum like this ever has the same results. A 2:1 result in favor of inverting the Y axis. Sure, that ignores all the casuals who never post of game forums. if only the other poster could have been more clear, like by using the word "real" to clarify what type of gamers he meant...

That also ignores the fact that someone who inverts is 10x more likely to view a post about inverted controls than someone who doesn't. Some people invert, some do not. It has nothing to do with being a "real gamer" and the elitism that comes from inverted players is completely ridiculous.

That also ignores the fact that someone who inverts is 10x more likely to view a post about inverted controls than someone who doesn't. Some people invert, some do not. It has nothing to do with being a "real gamer" and the elitism that comes from inverted players is completely ridiculous.

Calm down, the "real gamer" thing isn't my label. I enjoy casual motion and adventure games as much as anything, myself. =P

I ended up buying this, btw. Fingers crossed I can get through it and enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

Invert on the controller, but not on the mouse. I guess it is because:

- on the controller the stick is like my characters neck. You also have to pull back your neck if you want to look up.

- the mouse is like the barrel of the gun. You point up if you want to aim up. Also, the mouse worked in that way all the time, fx. in Windows there is no inversion either.

But inverting the X-axis together with the Y, the most stupid thing I ever seen. Anyways, there is no 'proper' settings, everybody has their own favourite, it is the developers work to put in every possible settings in their game.

Edited by psybOltOn

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand the point of the 8-bit/16-bit etc era... either you do, or you don't. I've been doing it forever, just from playing so many flight sims, it just feels more natural, pull back to go up... I just wisht there were more games with options to invert the x-axis in 3rd person games. I'm thinking of the Fable series, the x-axis is backward from any other game I've played, and there's no way to fix it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

All pilots play video games inverted! That said... if you know one that doesn't... you might want to get off the plane before he crashes it into a building!!! :eek:

I think I've always played games with the controls inverted. I remember the first time a friend of mine "introduced" me to Halo, when he brought his new (original) Xbox over to my house to show me this "new" game. He guided me through the process of creating my own "Halo" player... and asked me how I played games - inverted or normal (I don't think I had ever "thought" about the control settings in games, before... to be honest)?

He recommended trying it "inverted" and I started playing the game and didn't think twice about the controls after a few minutes of playing. At some point I stopped, and tried the "normal" setting, and boy did THAT seem all screwy to me!

I don't know if I would have just played Halo with the default settings or not, but I doubt it. I've been playing video games since 1976... and I'm pretty sure I played "Pong" inverted (LOL)! :p

• 2 weeks later...
Definitely don't invert. Never will understand why anyone does. Of the dozens if not hundreds of gamers I've known and played with in real life, 2 used inverted.

This has got to be THE most ignorant opinion I've ever seen! Did it "POSSIBLY" occur to you that some players are just more comfortable playing certain games with the look (Y-axis) inverted?! Some people prefer Coca-Cola over Pepsi (and some like both). People have different tastes!

As for your comment about the number of gamers you've played with in "real life" (I, personally, don't play games with people in my dreams)... how do you come up with such a wide disparity of dozens or hundreds? Also... who bothers to ask which of their friends plays with the controls inverted or not - is it really that important to know what OTHER people set their controls at?

I've been to gaming competitions, and have "actually" met hundreds of other gamers... and NEVER did I ask anyone if they play games inverted!

I only know 3 people who ever mentioned their preference for the Y-axis setting (because "they" mentioned it... I never asked). Two friends - who prefer it inverted, and my brother... who leaves it at normal (probably because he accepted the "default" setting and got used to it)!

I have a controller that has an invert switch on the bottom, and I use that controller for games that doesn't have (or doesn't properly implement) the Y-axis invert setting - like "Beyond Good & Evil." This controller also has a turbo feature, which is great for games like "Burnout Revenge" - for the "Crashbreaker" - which requires rapidly pressing the "B" button (the turbo does NOT work on the triggers - which is what cheaters use in on-line shooters like COD or Battlefield).

If you want to play a game that REALLY has screwed-up controls... try playing "Sneak King!" The controls might make sense if you were playing a forklift-driving game... but not for that one!!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...