Has anyone picked this up? / Opinions

StolenPaper18

I find it hard to believe there is no activity here on the forums...Thought someone would at least be talking about it. Everyone I've talked to has never even heard of the game before, so maybe it just flew under the radar.

I've only played an hour or two, but I've found it to be quite fun from what I've played. I can see some of the achievements being a pain in the ass though, so maybe that is why people here are shying away from it. :confused:

I enjoyed the first 2-3 hours, but then I became a little frustrated. I felt like a lot of the maps were more based on your movements than puzzle solving skills. I found myself knowing the solution of the puzzle but being unable to complete the action because it felt clunky to me a few times. Time and Shift goals are going to be a pain.

As for achievements, there are 2-3 that are quite difficult and time consuming.

I picked it up after playing the entire demo. Played for another hour or two on top of that. I like the puzzles so far, and I like that the game is not really concerned with the story or stuffed with a ton of collectibles to worry - it is purely a puzzle game. I am a puzzle game fan, so win/win!

The art style reminds me of the game Dr. Muto (not that I expect too many people to remember that one).

There are a lot of similarities to Portal, and I think if you did like Portal you will like this, and if you didn't like Portal (all 3 of you) then you won't like this.

I really like it though. I'm not far through the game but I'm enjoying the whole dimension idea, it in itself has more diversity than Portal. The aesthetic is lovely, and it feels like you're in a Pixar film or something. It's sadly not as funny as Portal, at least not so far, and the dialogue is okay at best really -- no Glados/Wheatley/Cave Johnson style laugh out loud one-liners.

The game seems quite long and that's a plus. For 1200 msp this is an absolute steal, when you consider Portal 2 was a full retail release. I'd estimate this game is at least as long, but of course there's no multiplayer.

Anyway, I'll reiterate my first point: your feelings on Portal will be in the same ballpark as your feelings on this. It's a high quality title that's just about different enough from Portal to justify its existence, but as you can see from the amount of times I've said "Portal" the two are very alike. I think that's a good thing though... most genres have numerous similar games, with of the FPS one being the most obvious. By comparison the puzzle genre (especially the puzzle platformer subgenre) is practically empty and so this is a fantastic and welcome title to please puzzle fans like myself. :)

the similarities to Portal are minor. at least, the first Portal game. Portal 2 was a lot more platform/time to win, which is what this game is all about. none of the puzzles are difficult bar the poor jumping mechanic extremely reminiscent of the N64 FPS era (i.e. jumping won't work if you're running off a platform half the time. remember Turok?) it's predominantly a kid's game. if you're an older gamer you may hate the aesthetic (which is disgustingly TF2-esque) and Uncle's "witty" banter and pop culture references throughout. i found it cute at first, but it becomes a real chore to play. i've got all the achievements except the last three involving no deaths/goal shifts/goal time. i really don't think i have the patience to try and perfect run every level when it's all about timing and even the most minor physics hiccup (which there are A LOT,) can screw you over.

the ending is terrible. it basically says "hey, buy the upcoming DLC for a real ending!) i hate that. overall i found it a real disappointment, lacking in any decent puzzling aspects, poor (unfinished) story-telling and unpolished controls. i'd highly recommend waiting for a points drop for this. 600-800 is reasonable.

I've heard lots of complaints about the platforming/control issues. It came very naturally to me and I had no problems. Crappy story but I don't buy puzzle games for a story. A decent amount of replay value while going for the last 3 achievement (no deaths, time goal, and shift goal). One of only two XBLA games I've ever payed $15 for. Worth it imo.

As someone above stated if you liked Portal you should like this too. Although this is slightly less imaginative puzzles and a cartoony look that isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Edited by thenutman69321

I watched my girlfriend play the first act the other night and it looked pretty good. The mansion seems kind of empty and overall the characters and story lack the charm that Portal had. The puzzles seemed great however and being a die-hard Portal fan I'm still glad I purchased day one without touching the demo. It's too bad that this game seems to be going unnoticed.

I don't understand why people are complaining about the charming art design.

I like the art design I'm just not in love with the characters. In fairness though I haven't played the game myself yet, just watched the first act played. I'm sure when I'm done I'll like it alot more but it didn't grab me right away like Portal did the first time I played it.

I actually found myself getting bored pretty quick. There's virtually no story to speak of. And what little there is is usually spread across a couple sentences per area. The puzzles were fun. But when you literally have little more than those to keep you moving forward, the same formula gets stale real quick.

And honestly, the guy on the god mic (voiced by Q from Star Trek:TNG, which is a nice touch regardless) sounds like he's never done a videogame in his entire life. His performance is pretty mediocre.

The complaints about the lack of interesting characters and a story are valid, but I didn't get the game for these things. I got this game because I thought it would have fun and interesting puzzles. It had plenty of these. I don't think Portal had a great story either, but it's still one of my favorite games because I like puzzlers. I'm genuinely hoping they make a sequel to this with all sorts of new dimensions to play with.

It had plenty of these.

It really didn't. It had the puzzles in the story campaign. Maybe 48 total. That's it. Even in comparison to Portal 1 & 2, that's not much. Both Portals had additional challenge maps. This game doesn't. Which is lame.

Don't get me wrong. I like this game. But in retrospect, it feels half finished.

The challenge maps were maps that you already did in Portal then had to re-do with slight variations. They weren't new. I think going through and trying to re-beat all of the levels with the fastest time possible is satisfying enough. It is for me, anyway.