Anyone play the PS1 VH?

When I seen Vandal Hearts on XBL I knew I had to get it, but I was wondering if anyone else had played the original Playstation 1 Vandal Hearts?

At first I was thinking this was it (like Castlevania Symphony of the Night) but unfortunately it's a remake.... Not saying that it's bad, in fact it's pretty awesome, unfortunately it's short imo, the characters look like deformed midgets and I wish the blood spray was like the original. The blood spray was so awesome on the PS1 version (from what I remember).

Anyways, it's been a while since I played the PS1 Vandal Hearts and was wondering if anyone else played it and what you guys thought of it and the new one?

I played the original lots, and this version is good too so far.

The blood "splatter" (it was more like a fountain ;)) was, indeed, great in VH1 :)

I haven't finished this one yet but since it is only an XBLA game, I would expect it to be quite a bit shorter.

Hopefully they'll be releasing some DLC game for this later on. More maps is always good.

I agree that they should release DLC for it. Was actually thinking that basically all the way through the game :) "Man, more maps and achievements would be awesome!" Because in all honesty with me personally, when I finish up all the achievements in a game I rarely go back to it (although N+ I still jump on from time to time) and I was hoping to grind my characters more if they were to announce DLC :D

Now I really want to go back and play Vandal Hearts for the PS1, I don't think I ever got part 2... if I did I don't recall. I guess I can always hope for it to come out on the PSN store.

Now here's hoping that they come out with Suikoden for XBLA

What's wrong with DLC for an Arcade game? It's been done before, and would be a welcomed addition to the game I reckon.

With a game like this, they could potentially release plenty of old rpgs, for example they could do all Final Fantasys up to and including 6 since they are all relatively small (in memory size compared to Final Fantasy 7 and onwards). Hell, they done Phantasy Star 2 for Arcade, so why not other RPGs? Plenty of potential there for others as well.

If anything I think DLC for Arcade titles makes more fiscal sense, because I'm willing to bet the average consumer is more willing to pay for "modular" content on a $15 game than they are for a $60 game. It's a popular new trend, as evidenced by Turbine's D&D Online makeover. A user pays no fee or a small initial fee for the basic game, and then is presented with a series of microtransactions to purchase additional modules or content packs at their discretion. This principle would apply quite effectively to Arcade titles which generally fall into the 5-10 dollar range.

• 2 weeks later...

Just have to correct the OP in that Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement IS NOT a remake of the original Vandal Hearts on the Playstation. It is a prequel to that title, and is the events leading up to the scenario displayed in that game.

The fact that a visit to Gillbaris Island occurs at the end is a great tribute. ;D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I played through the original countless times, even managed to play it all the way through once with no casualties and every enemy beaten. Well, using the leveling trick and keeping Ash lower level than everyone else until the trials were all done.

All good fun, and this game certainly has it's own charm.

Though I did like the serious artwork of the characters in the original more.

• 2 months later...
INow here's hoping that they come out with Suikoden for XBLA

Its currently out for on the PSN, but i own a hard copy of that as well as Suikoden 2,3,4,5,Tactics all in mint condition, black label :p

But on topic, I own a hard copy of Vandal Hearts and Vandal Hearts II in mint condition as well, black label.

Though, if the original were to come out on XBLA i would probably get it if its a direct port.. No glitch fixing :p

• 4 months later...

Yeah I own both VH I & II for the PSX. I think this is a great tribute, a great game overall (so far) and even though I was at first adverse to paying $15, I figured if I don't buy it now then they'll DEFINITELY not make any DLC for it, which would be a great thing!

(And yes, DLC for XBLA games is a VERY common occurrence... the worst is when you have to pay 700 points or so for a pittance of gamerscore, i.e. puzzle quest/small arms/etc.)

• 1 month later...

The first Vandal Hearts was good. Short, but good. The second one was too ugly and, in my opinion, too dumb for me to get into. Why do you have to be equipped with a dagger to unlock treasure chests? I could understand learning the skill from a dagger, but... whatever! I think the second Vandal Hearts was bad. Now I own all 3.

Flames of Judgement was a nice surprise. Short and sweet with easy achievements. I did like the artwork in game but not the cutscenes. It was kind of freaky-looking sometimes. But the game has definitely comeback from a horrible sequel with this release. I'm glad it was more like the first one. Still, I like the Playstation Vandal Hearts the best.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...