• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just finished my sixth playthrough. I guess I can admit it now, I'm addicted. And it's the very thing I hear most people complain about that has me hooked. I just can't get over the gameplay. I don't think it's any more "repetitive" than any other shooter, really.

But then the atmosphere may have something to do with it. Love the nighttime. Love storms. And apparently, I love suspense! Who knew?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Games like this are a rare gem.....this game got the worst wrap of any game this gen. Most underrated game I have EVER played. It does not lag in a single aspect of what it trys to do...everything this game is supposed to be it pulls off perfectly...I loved everything about it and cant waitfor more. The only thing htat bothers me is in new nightmare it kinda seems like its going to take a more "action" route which is fine by me as long as NONE of the other elements suffer for it. Sadly that never seems to be thecase though in video game sequels that try to change themselves.....

I found this to be an "OK" game - I liked the unique story, but it didn't give me the incentive to replay for collectibles, once was enough.

It did for me! I've played it six times now. Started replaying it for the collectibles but then the story started going deeper than I had planned. So I wanted to replay it again, and again. Then, I was hooked on the combat and atmosphere so I played it some more!

The only thing htat bothers me is in new nightmare it kinda seems like its going to take a more "action" route which is fine by me as long as NONE of the other elements suffer for it. Sadly that never seems to be thecase though in video game sequels that try to change themselves.....

Have you played Alan Wake's American Nightmare? It's not all bad. Still pretty creepy. A memorable experience, but not in the same way as the original game. There are several changes to the original format that work together in diminishing the fear/suspense, or even keep it from being particularly thrilling:

1. You can now run quite a long distance before getting winded. I don't think you can run fast enough to outrun the Taken (thankfully) but it still takes a lot of the suspense out of the game, knowing you can book it to the nearest Safe Haven pretty easily if things get rough.

2. Your flashlight recharges at a ridiculously fast rate. It wasn't uncommon for me to completely forget it ever ran out of charge while playing. However unnecessary the batteries felt in the first game, they're a complete waste of space in this one!

3. The atmosphere is creepy enough, but the feeling of impending doom is generally a thing of the past. The wind doesn't pick up anything like in the first game unless you try to go off the map. At this point you're met with an invisible wall and a couple Taken show up (usually a safe distance away). In general, random encounters with the Taken are a joke. Not that many of them show up, and they take longer to show than in the first no matter what section you go to. For a game that supposedly "focuses more on the combat", there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of that in it compared to the first.

4. Most people like the added weapons. I'm okay with them with the exception of the semi-automatics. I'm sorry, this single-handedly turns the game into just another shooter with a twist of Alan Wake. There's no such thing as fearing anything when you're practically holding a machine gun!

5. There's at least one infinite ammo box in every map (and the maps aren't that large). These don't just refill your pistol ammo, though, but your secondary more powerful weapon as well. Basically they took the one true flaw of the original game (too much ammo in most areas) and made it even worse.

6. It being essentially a sandbox style game (just with three, smaller sandboxes instead of one large map) doesn't help either. You're given fairly small tasks more often than not, which you can load up at a safe place and prepare to take on any way you choose. I normally don't like linear games, but because these elements do not work well in the horror/thriller genre (IMO), I'm really glad they didn't make Alan Wake open world.

It's a good thing they took off auto-aim. At first, I didn't like it, but I soon realized the game would've been far too easy if they had kept it.

So AWAN is worth a play-through, but you're going to be far more inclined to replay the original before replaying this one (unless you get into the arcade mode, which is fun but could've been made better also with multiplayer and the ability to unlock every weapon in every map, stuff like that).

Edited by Vic2Point0

I still play AWAN Arcade Mode trying to better my high score. Even on familiar well played maps like Ghost Town you can always work on your timing and multiplier which if done right you can have a 9 multiplier at the last 10 seconds of the game just as new enemies spawn right at sunrise which boosts your score significantly. You need to go 10 minutes undamaged to keep the multiplier up and this can be challenging as enemies spawn randomly so you never play the same map the same exact way twice. Arcade Mode is still a lot of fun for an intense 10 minutes.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...