Fallout 3 Banned in Australia!

NAFeS

Rumours were swirling late last week that Australia's strict games classification regime had struck its highest-profile victim for 2008, with Fallout 3 apparently being refused a rating. It seems the rumours were true, with confirmation coming tonight that Bethesda's upcoming postapocalyptic action RPG has indeed been banned for sale in Australia.

The most recent update for the Web site of Australia's Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) shows that Fallout 3 has been refused classification. Unlike films or DVDs, the highest rating allowable for a game in Australia is MA 15+, which means any title that has content deemed unsuitable for a 15-year-old is illegal to sell or promote in this country.

While the OFLC website has no details on why Fallout 3 was banned, a user in GameSpot's PC forum last week suggested it could be due to the use of the drug morphine within the game.

Australia's game classification rules state that titles that "depict, express or otherwise deal with matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults" will be refused classification.

..And.....

UPDATE: Australia's OFLC has provided GameSpot AU with a copy of its Board's ruling on Fallout 3, which states that the game was indeed refused classification because it contains "material promoting or encouraging proscribed drug use".

In its ruling, the OFLC states that "the game contains the option to take a variety of drugs known as chems using a device which is connected to the character's arm."

"These chems have postive and some negative effects (lowering of intelligence, or the character may become addicted to the chem). The positive effects include increase in strength, stamina, resistance to damage, agility, and hit points. Corresponding with the list of various chems are small visual representations of the drugs; these include syringes, tablets, pill bottles, a crack-type pipe, and blister packs. In the Board's view, these realistic visual representation of drugs and their delivery method bring the 'science-fiction' drugs in line with 'real-world' drugs.

"The player can also select and use Morphone (a proscribed drug) which has the positive effect of enabling the character to ignore limb pain when the character's extremities are targeted by the enemy." In Fallout 1 and 2, players could take a wide range of drugs both to boost health and character attributes. Both games were freely available for sale in Australia and were rated M.

And despite the violence in the game, the OFLC's ruling is solely concerned with drug use in Fallout 3. In the ruling, the OFLC states that "the violence throughout the game could be accommodated at an MA 15+ level of classification".

and they do they exact same things in our art galleries, pulling down painting and exhibitions that they dont deem 'family friendly', i swear our country is going to start being remembered as culture haters. and all kevin rudd does is just sit there and agree with everyone because he is a populist and god forbid he ever disagree with what the DUMB,IDIOTIC rabble say.

Edited by exo-apollo

• 2 weeks later...
Seriously what is up with you Aussies, and the fact that all the good games get banned.

What do you mean what is up with us? we havent done it wrong its just the C**t ass pussys that run our country, fuk i hate being in australia sometimes...all my intrests seem to be illegal and censored in this country (modded cars,weapons video games)...ehhh... -goes and buys noose-

those that really want it will import it

It's going to be illegal for them to do that I hear...

Although thats not going to stop people is it?

The government want to get their act together and realise that grown people play games and that it's a great hobby. Instead they're trying to wrap the younger audience in cotton wool so to speak. What about TV and movies they don't give a crap about that.

Sometimes it's the same here in the UK and also places like Germany (although no way near as bad).

That sucks! And of all things it's the use of drugs. If this holds up I feel bad for all you Aussies!

This is why I like these forums I have never spoken to any American yet that isn't nice or helpful. Then go on Xbox Live and I get the opposite and would rather eat my own arms than speak to one of you as when I do I constantly get told to suck my dick.

On that note I have yet to have anyone Austrailian on my friends list and I have never spoken to any of you online... Have all your mics melted?

Edited by RegentEagle

On that note I have yet to have anyone Austrailian on my friends list and I have never spoken to any of you online... Have all your mics melted?

No there is only a small few of us, dew to us not letting annoying little kids play online (unlike u americans/english) I remeber reading a survey that said the majority of australian "gamers" are 18-23 or sumthing.

its like austraila jumps on the bandwagon, following the US, UK, etc, of banning games for ridiculous reasons.

but austraila banes games like they are trying to be accepted by the other nations with video games haters except they are way over doing it

its like austraila jumps on the bandwagon, following the US, UK, etc, of banning games for ridiculous reasons.

Well it's not really ridiculous reasons, the problem is that we don't have a R18+ rating for videogames, we are stuck with just a MA15+ rating, so alot of games don't make the cut for being classified as MA15+ so they get 'refused'.

The issue has been passed around in parliament so many times and there was just one politician, Michael Atkinson, who voted against having the R18+ rating for games. He is stuck in the stone age and no amount of reasoning can make him change his stance.

but austraila banes games like they are trying to be accepted by the other nations with video games haters except they are way over doing it

The UK has NEVER had a game banned, only 2 came close, Carmageddon, but it was alterered and released, and of course Manhunt 2, which will be coming out later this year.

UK>US on the "not having games banned" front.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

grow up people please, its all the goverments fault for banning or under-protective parents who buy gta "im-going-to-kill-everything-and-have-sex-with-some-hoes-town" the kid kills people and the parents go "omg video games are an atrocity to the earth". goverments see this and follow on what the parents said, however they do not repremend the parents for being complete idiots.

so in short goverments=bad australia=koalas uk=uk america=a bunch of confused people run by an idiot.

and the drug removing thing from the game is gunna sux, well anyways thats what i heard anyways