How to make Kuma ridiculously easy

Arython

Read the bolded part if you only care about the pattern.

I noticed that a lot of people are saying that they find Kuma very difficult on hard, and some even find him difficult on normal. Kuma parries a lot, is quite fast, and has several attacks that are nearly impossible to consistently avoid without lots of practice, so this is understandable.

Some guides I have read make it sound way harder than it is, relying on multiple patterns, parries, etc. I found a way to beat Kuma without ever parrying or memorizing complex patterns - in other words, my method takes virtually all the skill needed away and reduces it to what is basically button mashing.

The only two buttons you are going to need are X and LT. The pattern is very simple:

1. Get close to Kuma (I just charge straight at him)
  2. Do 3 X attacks in a row
  3. As soon as that 3rd X attack lands, hit LT and do a horizontal focus slash (X)
  4. Go back to step 2

During the cutscenes that occur when he takes enough damage and says something, you will obviously need to go back to step 1. Also, if you mess up, do not panic, just take the hit and keep going.

That is it. No parrying, no dodging, etc.

This pattern puts him in a loop that he cannot get out of (barring forced cutscenes) except in the final fight. What happens for all the fights before he goes down to one sword is that your first 3 swings will either land or be parried, and as soon as you go into focus mode he will prepare his 2-handed cross sword slash, which can be recognized by him crossing his swords around his body and crouching a bit. If you do the focus slash as soon as your sword glows, your hit will land before his does, causing massive damage to him. He will stagger back a bit, but by then you are in your next combo and the cycle repeats.

In the final fight when he loses his mask and goes to one sword, he is no longer quite as predictable so you will get hit a few times. The nice thing, however, is that eventually he will basically glitch out after you land a focused blow on him and stumble away with his back exposed and, if you keep up the barrage using the same pattern, he will never recover. This has happened four out of four times for me. I just beat him again now and in the last 10 seconds of the fight I got 3 combos in on his back without him ever turning around, parrying, or fighting back.

Edited by Arython

I'll have to try this. I simply cannot beat him, I got as far as the third rock whirlwind thing he uses before I just gave up. I could keep it up until he uses that move where he spins his swords and hits you a lot, it's also unblockable.

EDIT: I can verify that this works, thanks for the tip! But be warned, I found that focus mode stopped working from the last fight in the building and then onwards. I had to wait for an opening after he finished his attacks.

Edited by Gariom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...