Dark Endings

Beardyboo

There are two dark endings (but they're not very dark to be honest lol). You need to defeat Sky Spirit and Valgar (white armour) with negative karma.

Order of chosen dialogue to reach Sky Spirit: 2,2,4,2,1

Order of chosen dialogue to reach Valgar: 2,2,5,3,2

Be sure to overkill the Cyclops against the barriers on stage 2 to at least -200 bad karma (-300 to be safe). Taking the above paths will get you to stage 10 where you'll encounter some civillians, if you kill as many of them as you can, you will earn some nice points towards bad karma.

Edited by Le Vampyr †™

any idea what the exact threshold is? my negative karma wasn't nearly that high. and as long as you continue to overkill enemies along the way and break any objects you come across, its a cinch.

Well, i got the finmal dark ending i needed, all i did was make sure I broke all objects, always made sure i hit enemies when dead and killed as many villagers as i could. ended up with -274 Karma upon completion. :rock

What points do you apply in regards to your stats? I max out VIT, STR, and pool in some for INT. When I reach stage 10, I have difficulty trying to take down civilians even though I'm at a relatively high level.

In addition, I'm also having trouble trying to unlock the dark version of ending 3... Does it mean I have to juggle ALL enemies AFTER they die?

What points do you apply in regards to your stats? I max out VIT, STR, and pool in some for INT. When I reach stage 10, I have difficulty trying to take down civilians even though I'm at a relatively high level.

It all depends on what character you use, and what your playstyle is (and in some cases, whether you're playing Original or Remix mode). Ginjirou's 'Lightning Palm' magic is great for killing the civillians, and it adds some extra hits after death, rewarding you with some bonus points towards bad karma.

In addition, I'm also having trouble trying to unlock the dark version of ending 3... Does it mean I have to juggle ALL enemies AFTER they die?

Yes, you gain points towards bad karma when you juggle enemies after you kill them (when their sprite turns black and each hit reads as 'dead') You don't have to juggle all dead enemies, but the more actions you can do to gain negative karma, the better.

To recap, actions that gain you points towards bad karma are as follows..

- killing fleeing Royal Blades (standard soldiers, the blue Royal Blades run away the most)

- destroying the environment (barrels, crates etc.)

- juggling corpses

- killing civillians (they appear on both stages 10 and 14)

Yeah.... I'd figure that -5000+ karma along the path for Valgar would do the trick but it doesn't... :/

-5000!? Holy jebus! O_o I've defeated white armoured Valgar on one playthrough, and Sky Warrior / Spirit on another, both ending with around -200 karma, and I received dark endings. Check the 'Endings' in your 'Gallery' to make sure you haven't got them already.

So it has to be exclusively the player character doing the kills without any assists from the Undead Hero?

On the civillians, or in general?

-5000!? Holy jebus! O_o I've defeated white armoured Valgar on one playthrough, and Sky Warrior / Spirit on another, both ending with around -200 karma, and I received dark endings. Check the 'Endings' in your 'Gallery' to make sure you haven't got them already.

On the civillians, or in general?

I'm 100% sure I didn't get the ending, considering that I played through the same path form -500 downwards through the same path.

I'm referring to the opponents/civies/objects in general.

I think undead hero does nothing to your karma. You don't have to kill people without his help, but you can't sit in a corner and watch him slaughter people to lose karma. You have to break stuff, juggle dead people and bludgeon small children yourself.

And to clarify environment damage, barrels and barricades never affected my karma (but they still give you experience, so keep breaking them anyway). It was only the small boxes that you have to crouch to hit that lowered karma for me.

All of this was on remix, so the rules might be different on original.

Either way, at -5000 karma you should have definitely gotten the dark ending. My lowest was -400 when I beat Valgar, and it worked fine. Bear in mind that the dark ending is only different for the final cutscene after all the dialog is finished, and it's only a change in the text. The light and dark versions are very similar.

• 2 weeks later...

A good way to juggle the Cyclops in Stage 2 is spamming forward+X with Han in Original mode, his forward thrust has little knockback, and it does a lof of hits every 4th time it connects since it pick the monster up from the ground, and you'll stay close enough to juggle it freely , almost no timing is needed, just hold forward and and spam X.

Right now I'm around -510 karma, should be more than enough to go and massacre the sky spirit for the dark ending.

The hardest part, I think, is aligning the Cyclops right without taking too much punishment, because Cyclops, Giants, Royal Mechs and Lopers, for instance, tend to have better priority on their heavy attacks, which means that if they get the lead, the pain WILL begin (especially those damned Lvl70 White Lopers later in the game).

This time I was lucky enough to be able to use Han's throw (forward+Y close), and the last kick was a great help, then I would catch the Cyclops with forward+X, while pressing until he was backed against the magical wall.

It's really not easy to get it right each time, but I believe it is also a great help on hard to build levels high enough before taking on the Undead Rogue.

I wish to thank everyone for their advices, I don't believe I would have figured how to corner and juggle the Cyclops by myself, now I think I'm good to go and get all the remaining achievements.

• 2 years later...

The easiest paths to reach Ending 3 (Darkness) and Ending 5 (Darkness) are:

ENDING 3 (DARKNESS):

1 Awakening = None > Stage 2

2 Prelude to Hope = Bah! Let's go back to town. > Stage 4

4 Of Mechs and Men = (Rush to the rebels' aid.) > Stage 7

7 The Captive Kingdom = (Storm the castle head on.) > Stage 10

10 Town of Treachery = What you did was wrong. > Stage 14

14 A Flash of Smitening = (Lie to protect the people.) > Stage 20

20 Choices = What would that achieve? > Stage 26

26 Scenario for Destruction = None > Stage 29

29 Paradise = Negative karma > Ending 3 (Darkness)

ENDING 5 (DARKNESS):

1 Awakening = None > Stage 2

2 Prelude to Hope = Bah! Let's go back to town. > Stage 4

4 Of Mechs and Men = (Rush to the rebels' aid.) > Stage 7

7 The Captive Kingdom = (Storm the castle head on.) > Stage 10

10 Town of Treachery = Was force the only option? > Stage 16

16 Dark Labyrinth = Has this freed the Earthblood? > Stage 23

23 The Truth = Yes, we seek the answer. > Stage 28

28 Warrior of Light = Negative karma > Ending 5 (Darkness)

There are a lot of civilians along the way. Attack them!

SOURCE: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/629692-guardian-heroes/60641827