Skyrim broke my HDD?!?!

Lord of Rage

Hi there guys, I posted this in another thread but I think it needs a new one.

I purchased Skyrim, went back home, installed it (3,6GB wth??!?!?!), downloaded the patch and now my console does not recognize the HDD installs anymore. I also tried BF3 which was working fine until now and the disc is spinning like crazy!!!

I'm afraid Skyrim somehow broke my HDD. Don't get me wrong guys. I'm not trolling. I love Bethesda and absolutely love their games, but this reminds me the problems we had when Oblivion was released.

I can't believe this. Why Skyrim and why Bethesda!?!?!

EDIT:OK guys, I just did this: I cleared the cache, and now all the games work fine, but Skyrim still won't load from the HDD.

Edited by Lord of Rage

go into your memory delete the game, delete the update and clear you system cache. then reinstall it and let me know what happens.

I'll try that. Give me 5 mins

EDIT: There wasn't any update file in my HDD and I'm sure I downloaded the patch, so I just deleted the game file. I'm re-installing it right now.

Edited by Lord of Rage

One thing I do not understand about this 3.6GB thing is if you look around the web you can see the game is between 7.5 and 8GB depending on what rip it is. Some people have said it is compressing it onto the HDD. But this makes NO sense. It would have the opposite effect... decompressing on the fly from the HDD would make for longer load times then already decompressed on disc. My theory (and it is just that) is that only a portion of the game is copied on to the HDD. So you will still have drive use, but instead of streaming textures and ambient sounds from disc, they are on the HDD. MS never said that the WHOLE game had to be able to be copied to drive.

So anyways, OT: Does the game display the HDD symbol when you press "Y", or does it show a disc? If it shows the HDD, are you sure it is not reading anything off the HD drive. Your disc should spin, and it may spin off and on randomly throughout the game. But with the procedural texturing they use for this engine, one would figure if it was reading from disc, it would be doing it all the time. Just a thought.

I do understand what you said in the first post, but the last post here makes me wonder.

This happens to me on BF3 and MW3.

I just play for 5 minutes and it quiets down.

Ok the problem is fixed, but I know something wrong has happened to my Xbox.

Like the user above me, now my Xbox quiets down loooong time before it used to. Until yesterday I was playing with no problems, the disc spinned when I started the game, checked the DVD and quiet down. Today I install Skyrim and get this....

¿Coincidence? I don't think so....

Edited by Lord of Rage

Ok the problem is fixed, but I know something wrong has happened to my Xbox.

Like the user above me, now my Xbox quiets down loooong time before it used to. Until yesterday I was playing with no problems, the disc spinned when I started the game, checked the DVD and quiet down. Today I install Skyrim and get this....

Well I think someone is a worrier

Hi there guys, I posted this in another thread but I think it needs a new one.

I purchased Skyrim, went back home, installed it (3,6GB wth??!?!?!), downloaded the patch and now my console does not recognize the HDD installs anymore. I also tried BF3 which was working fine until now and the disc is spinning like crazy!!!

I'm afraid Skyrim somehow broke my HDD. Don't get me wrong guys. I'm not trolling. I love Bethesda and absolutely love their games, but this reminds me the problems we had when Oblivion was released.

I can't believe this. Why Skyrim and why Bethesda!?!?!

EDIT:OK guys, I just did this: I cleared the cache, and now all the games work fine, but Skyrim still won't load from the HDD.

A game cannot break or damage your hdd. Why do people keep making these posts?

HDD Broke My Skyrim

Not sure what happened, i put the disc in the tray as normal, started the install then walked away. Came back 2 minutes later and there was an error screen saying the console can't find a disk in the tray but the weird thing is i watched the install hit 1% before i walked away.

I can't believe this happened, i feel like a parent who left their child alone for a second, only to then have to rush them to hospital.:mad:

I even tried playing the game off the disc but same error. Now because of work i have to wait until the weekend before i can go back to EB, although i am tempted to declare this a family emergency to my boss. (my console is a member of my family right?)

HDD Broke My Skyrim

Not sure what happened, i put the disc in the tray as normal, started the install then walked away. Came back 2 minutes later and there was an error screen saying the console can't find a disk in the tray but the weird thing is i watched the install hit 1% before i walked away.

I can't believe this happened, i feel like a parent who left their child alone for a second, only to then have to rush them to hospital.:mad:

I even tried playing the game off the disc but same error. Now because of work i have to wait until the weekend before i can go back to EB, although i am tempted to declare this a family emergency to my boss. (my console is a member of my family right?)

sounds like your dvd drive may have died. had this happen to my first 360. they wanted $200 for a new drive. i said no cause the arcade was like $300 new.

with the time and money we invest in these things perhaps they should be classed as family... maybe try pet?

Bah, it didn't worked. It's loading from the DVD...

This.

I think the long disc loading times are part of the dashboard update, that check the disc if it's pirated or something.. I have this same thing going with GoW3 and it stops after 5min max so no big deal

Although its not just related to the most recent update. A Couple of months ago, Microsoft Added 1 Gigabyte worth of Security/Anti-Piracy Measures to the Xbox 360 Disk Formatting.

All - I Repeat - ALL Installed Games will spin upon Startup for a Few Minutes. These are simply Security Measures. Your Xbox is not Broken.

And for the Record, All Installed Games would spin at Startup even before these added Security Measures, just not for quite as long.

Edited by ZingZitang