Thoughts on The Room?

This past weekend I went to the London MCM Expo, came across Silent Hill 4: The Room for PS2. I decided to buy it, played it briefly last night on the PS3, and as I reached a 3rd person section I just couldn't stand it anymore.

It might be because I started on the HD Collection, so I'm used to kind of good graphics, but it just seems that everything in the game has been downgraded from SH2 and 3.

Obviously, as I said I've only now reached the first 3rd person part, but even as soon as I started that I noticed how bad the controls were. Movement seems odd, as it feels like I'm running in slightly fast motion. Also, the movement controls in first person seem completely backwards. They make it impossible to use both sticks (one to move, one to look around), so I have to adapt to a complete new style of movement, and I just can't get my head around it!

All in all, although I've only played for like, 20 minutes, I really don't feel like I can carry on! Haha

The first Silent Hill was the best. The HD collection was good as well but all an all the room wasnt that good to begin with anyways. I didnt enjoh it as much as some of the games. But being part of the series its still Silent Hill and its at least worth playing once. In my opion at least.

the room is ok for a horror game, it wasnt originally a silent hill game, konami decided mid development to turn it to SH4 and linked it to a serial killer mentioned in SH2. Gametrailers has a really good SH retrospective you should check out, and as a side note the room has a part when you enter a room in the hospital (i think its the hospital) and the whole back wall is a giant head, i found that the creepiest thing in all silent hill history that could just be me though!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm one of the few people who actually loved SH4. As mentioned above, it wasn't originally a SH game. If you look at it on it's own, without trying to make it live up to SH2 it's actually really good. If I remember right, the story, when you understood the subtleties, made it incredibly personal. I also loved the 'possession' taking place in your room.

On the flip-side though.... making people go through levels repeatedly during a single playthrough has never and will never be a good idea!

• 1 month later...

It might be because I started on the HD Collection, so I'm used to kind of good graphics

The Room graphics are a million times better than the HD collection graphics..at least the Xbox version of The Room,the graphics in the HD collection are pretty fucking awful..i love just looking out of the window and watching the world go by in The Room

The Room is one of my favourite SH games,i really loved it

Silent Hill

Silent Hill 2

Silent Hill The Room

Silent Hill 3

Silent Hill Origins

Silent Hill Homecoming

Not played Downpour yet

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

To be honest, The Room was the first Silent Hill game I ever had the pleasure of playing - and despite it's origins, we'll all still consider it that.

That aside, it was an enjoyable game, though I have to say that there was little to no replay value in it, and some parts of the game were quite frustrating. For example, in the 3rd area in that game ( the weird mental hospital ) if you try to do the water draining puzzle before all the holes are aligned, and you've saved any time after that, you need to restart the entire game because there's no way to actually reassert the puzzle. It's done after that, and you can't get any electricity in the building - which of course limits everything you can do, and pretty much grinds you into a fullstop.

So while it was a good game for the most part, there were some things about it that made it not worth playing. But eh, like another said, it's Silent Hill. Suck it up and play through it like a real man... or woman. Whatever you may be.

• 1 month later...