Is the Xbox 360 holding the Xbox One back???

redsgamester

Ok so I had my Xbox 360 for years and enjoyed it very much but finally decided to trade it in a couple months ago to get credit for it while I still could. I got my Xbox One Day One and I love it. Even though it has had issues it is improving all the time. Ok, so is the Xbox One being held back by the Xbox 360??? Are certain capabilities being held back due to having to make a game on last gen consoles as well??? Are developers wanting to make games for both consoles?? Or is it the publishers forcing them to?? I'm looking forward to Batman Arkham Knight because it's next gen only. And take a game like Destiny, they say they want the game to evolve over a 10 year period yet it's coming on both consoles. How can you evolve a game on a dying console??? I'm not trying to insult anybody but the fact is the 360 will be going the way of the dinosaur over the next few years and beyond. So what's your opinion on the subject??? I had a lot more that I wrote but it signed me out by the time I posted so I had to rewrite quickly. For some reason it likes to sign me out every 10 minutes on this site.

Edited by redsgamester

A little, but it's no different than any other generation in the last decade. You're always going to have the those crossgen games that try to rake in the consumer base of the previous gen while trying to be the next big thing on current gen. The previous gen will die slowly or quickly depending upon how the maker wants it to go.

"Is the Xbox 360 holding the Xbox One back???"

Answer, yes. No other console has had the same success as the 360, and developers/publishers, would rather publish for the larger install base with lower development costs as it offers a higher profit margins.

I do understand that companies need to make money. I just wish more of them would go the next gen only route. I honestly don't know if its a publisher or developer decision??? Or a combination of both??? I mean RockSteady is going next gen only. I know several people who are getting Xbox Ones just because of this reason.

I think it's mostly just helping it - if you try to rush the transition too quickly it puts way more pressure on the new console. Let the 360 run its course as the Xbox One ramps up and they'll both do better.

Sony still puts out games on the PS2: FIFA 14 (PS2): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

(Or rather EA and some others do.)

lol never knew there was still games been released on PS2.

OT: Rite now the 360 is a still very popular console and people are still buying it. I don't think it's holding X1 back it will just take time for more people to buy X1.

I do understand that companies need to make money. I just wish more of them would go the next gen only route. I honestly don't know if its a publisher or developer decision??? Or a combination of both??? I mean RockSteady is going next gen only. I know several people who are getting Xbox Ones just because of this reason.

If you ran a business and someone said "If you do this, this way you can sell your product to 4 million people. But if you do it that way, you can sell it to 100 million."

Which would you choose?

Until more XB1's and PS4's are sold it will continue.

It probably is holding it back a bit. But it will die out.

The next Homefront isn't on 360.

So I guess the main thing is money, money, money. Is that all companies really care about? I just wish there would be a lot more next gen exclusives to maximize the full potential of the console. Limitations of the 360 hold the Xbox One back from REALLY pushing the boundaries of what it has to offer. I want truly next gen experiences, not ones held back because the old console can't handle what their doing on the new one. I guess it'll probably still be awhile before we get a lot of next gen only games.

So I guess the main thing is money, money, money. Is that all companies really care about? I just wish there would be a lot more next gen exclusives to maximize the full potential of the console. Limitations of the 360 hold the Xbox One back from REALLY pushing the boundaries of what it has to offer. I want truly next gen experiences, not ones held back because the old console can't handle what their doing on the new one. I guess it'll probably still be awhile before we get a lot of next gen only games.

Where do you think the money to pay for developing those "next gen experiences" comes from?

Plus, I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but given how many more Xbox 360s have sold as compared to Xbox Ones it should be no surprise that they go with the most money. Any major dev, such as Rocksteady, that develops purely for Xbox One/PS4 is taking a gamble - they'll either persuade people to buy the new system just for their game or won't have as many sales because they excluded what could possibly be the majority of gamers.

Smaller developers just can't afford to even take that gamble so they have to go with a sure thing.

Edited by BooneJusticius

To a point, yes, but then again, it looks like we will be seeing cross-gen titles of various calibers for a while this time around. The Original Xbox was pretty much phased out within a year of the 360's launch. Obviously that won't be happening this gen.

I'd give it until 2017 for the majority of games to be strictly next-gen. Fine by me, to be honest.

Where do you think the money to pay for developing those "next gen experiences" comes from?

Plus, I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but given how many more Xbox 360s have sold as compared to Xbox Ones it should be no surprise that they go with the most money. Any major dev, such as Rocksteady, that develops purely for Xbox One/PS4 is taking a gamble - they'll either persuade people to buy the new system just for their game or won't have as many sales because they excluded what could possibly be the majority of gamers.

Smaller developers just can't afford to even take that gamble so they have to go with a sure thing.

They sold loads of 360 because of RROD all 2005 to 2007 suffer this. Iv had 9 360 and have 4 left working. Also they have banned million + users ,no shit they move to sony. I have just got a xbox one and would like to know of a good shot em up to get for it ?

I think a better question is: "Wasn't it premature for Microsoft to release a 'next gen' console when they've now more or less decided to redesign it and all the new games exclusive to it would come out almost 2 years later?"

The one and only answer is, of course, "yes".

Microsoft is who all One owners should be angry with, not the developers. Microsoft should have waited to collect your money until they'd managed to cultivate the "next gen" with developers.

But, no, they needed your money right now and got it from some people based on a promise of all the goodness to come. Now in 2015 or later!

I mean RockSteady is going next gen only. I know several people who are getting Xbox Ones just because of this reason.

I am one of them, only 2 games I want to play badly that is only on next gen: Arkham Knight and Assassins Creed Unity, likely new console just after Xmas for the sales with those games. BUT if I manage to get Rugby World Cup tickets then the new gen console is on hold for a while longer.

With the number of games I have yet to play on the 360, I estimate I have a year and half left on the 360 (unless more games are for 360 too). I'm starting Bioshock Inifite tomorrow.

So I guess the main thing is money, money, money. Is that all companies really care about?

Is this a serious question? :confused:

Edited by cjdavies

Yes. For the simple reason that the 360 is by far the superior console. Im not talking games either. Those will come eventually.

Im talking the little things that you take for granted on the 360 either dont work or aren't available on the One. I still dont get notifications when my friends come online. I hate the fact how the simple 'invite to game' process has been ruined on the One. I now have to send two invites to play a game of Fifa.

I honestly feel that I spent £400 to be able to scan a code with Kinect. That is the only (useful) thing that the One can do over the 360.

Did the original Xbox hold back the Xbox 360? ;)

People need to stop making excuses for Microsoft's truck load of bullshit prior to and weeks after E3. People like Don Mattrick held back the Xbox One, not the Xbox 360 console.

Backward compatibility. THAT'S why the 360 was way more successful. If the One were b-c, then almost EVERY One owner would have switched over an never looked back. Even those who might not be able to afford a One would have tried twice as hard to get the money to make the switch.

But no, we can't have b-c. Believe the spin, if you want, but it CAN be done and should have been. So, S$ & M$ & Publishers got together and decided they could make MORE money by making HD remakes instead of having b-c, which would generate NO income. Plain and simple.

Yes, the 360 is holding the Xbone back.

Yes. For the simple reason that the 360 is by far the superior console. Im not talking games either. Those will come eventually.

Im talking the little things that you take for granted on the 360 either dont work or aren't available on the One. I still dont get notifications when my friends come online. I hate the fact how the simple 'invite to game' process has been ruined on the One. I now have to send two invites to play a game of Fifa.

I honestly feel that I spent £400 to be able to scan a code with Kinect. That is the only (useful) thing that the One can do over the 360.

Turning them on in the settings would help.

Backward compatibility. THAT'S why the 360 was way more successful. If the One were b-c, then almost EVERY One owner would have switched over an never looked back. Even those who might not be able to afford a One would have tried twice as hard to get the money to make the switch.

But no, we can't have b-c. Believe the spin, if you want, but it CAN be done and should have been. So, S$ & M$ & Publishers got together and decided they could make MORE money by making HD remakes instead of having b-c, which would generate NO income. Plain and simple.

Yes, the 360 is holding the Xbone back.

Yeah because what 360 owner wouldn't want to spend $500 to play the games the that they can already play?