Title Update: January 19, 2013 - (13 Gb)

There is a NEW Title Update for Dead Rising 3 today January 19, 2013. Apparently it's 13 Gb.

p.s. - Interview confirms that there is NO CO-OP in the DLC!

Some info on "patch notes" can be found in this interview:

http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/games-diving-deep-into-the-add-on-content-of-dead-rising-3

Patch Notes:

1. Content for DLC episodes 3 and 4 added as part of this CU.
  2. Various Stability Fixes.
  3. Various Performance Improvements.
  4. Online Stability improvements.
  5. Added a progress bar to main menu while installer is running.
  6. Fixed an issue which could allow the user to overwrite their save file during streaming install while the game is booted.
  7. Fix for missing English VUI command in Multiplayer menu.
  8. Some improvements to item pickups.
  9. Fixed a reproducible issue where the player could get out of the world.
  10. Fixed an issue where music wasn’t present during the streaming install.
  11. Fixed some mission scripting issues.
  12. Fixed an issue which could cause some co-op players to not progress blueprint collection achievements correctly.
  13. Fixed an issue where the UI was not updating properly.
  14. Fixed an issue which caused glass textures to appear low-res.
  15. Fixed an issue which could cause shadows to render incorrectly.
  16. Fixed a texture issue with the Golden SledgeSaw weapon.
  17. SmartGlass stability fix.

Edited by EatSleepDreamAchievements

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm about to say doesn't apply to me, but pretty crap you have to install all these updates for expansion packs if you're not planning on purchasing any of them. A lot of extra space these things are taking up

The alternative is fracturing the player-base which would be pretty much crap for anyone wanting to play coop. Those curious about the DLC may also be able to see what it is first hand by joining the game of someone who owns it, assuming it's handled like other games that handle DLC this way.

You also have to expect that these TU's also include core game updates and aren't necessarily just about the DLC.

As for all the space this content is taking up, sometimes Title Update's are cumulative and previous versions can be deleted. That is something we'll have to wait and see for when that option is made available to the system for managing our gamesaves and other files down the road.

Edited by EatSleepDreamAchievements

This is horrible! I no longer think game developers give a damn about things like this. I miss the days when Microsoft made sure developers kept patches and DLC small.

The alternative is fracturing the player-base which would be pretty much crap for anyone wanting to play coop.
Was there anything wrong with asking people to download compatability pack DLCs if they want to play co-op with the people who have the DLC? It worked fine last gen. Besides, we don't know yet if this even is pre-installing the DLC. Edited by The Huntsman

This is getting out of hand. I'm on the "best" package from my provider at 8Mb with a 70GB cap, they don't do any better than that. As it is I'm at 51GB this month with 11 days to go. If I cancel/pause the update will it stay that way or will it decide to auto-resume after a few hours? If I uninstall the game (I don't plan on getting the DLC until all four have been released) will I then have to download an 18GB patch, the original 5GB one plus this new 13GB? Developers really need to start realising the level of broadband that's available in some countries.

That is pretty ridiculous, especially without any sort of patch notes.

Personally, it's not that big of a deal, but for people with bandwidth caps, it's pretty bad.

I agree, its just ridiculous. Luckily I have unlimited broadband, so it doesn't bother me, however im losing HDD space faster than I want to be.

Why have they changed it so DLC is now mandatory?

Not saying "don't download it" but if this is the future of updates/patches down our throat, I am very very much inclined to sell my One and maybe give up gaming totally.

Am I a troll? Maybe but I am also highly proficient on the Microsoft-platform (making my living in IT administration) and patches > 2GB can seriously disrupt certain workflows in organizations.

While 13GB is peanuts for my home-connection, I do find it very disturbing that Microsoft has still not implemented multi-thread downloading and they're still relying on single-thread http-traffic. Example: the mandatory FM5-update (about 6GB) took just under 50 minutes to download but when I transfer 6GB using multi-threaded FTP from somewhere else, it will take less than 7 minutes.

I agree, its just ridiculous. Luckily I have unlimited broadband, so it doesn't bother me, however im losing HDD space faster than I want to be.

Why have they changed it so DLC is now mandatory?

Agree. And we can't even check our storage..

Not saying "don't download it" but if this is the future of updates/patches down our throat, I am very very much inclined to sell my One and maybe give up gaming totally.

Am I a troll? Maybe but I am also highly proficient on the Microsoft-platform (making my living in IT administration) and patches > 2GB can seriously disrupt certain workflows in organizations.

While 13GB is peanuts for my home-connection, I do find it very disturbing that Microsoft has still not implemented multi-thread downloading and they're still relying on single-thread http-traffic. Example: the mandatory FM5-update (about 6GB) took just under 50 minutes to download but when I transfer 6GB using multi-threaded FTP from somewhere else, it will take less than 7 minutes.

Troll or not, you make some valid points. What happens when someone buys this for the first time in 4 months and has to download updates filling 1/5 of their HDD? It's gonna look bad is what. PS4/One HDD's should have been a TB minimum.

Lets assume, all four of DR3's game expansions are the same size. Thats 52GB, plus the installation of 20GB.

Thats 72 GB just for Dead Rising 3. As Dirt says, if someone buys in 6 months when its all released...they will get 3 games before they have to start uninstalling stuff.

It's daft, and one of the worst things MS has done with this generation.

If MS make external HDDs usable, I'll be fine though. I don't want to buy another One two years from now just for a bigger HDD. They caught me out on 360 with that; 20/60/120GB as they became available over the years.

I'm OK with the size of the games as long as we have plenty of room to store them. As for the people with data caps and slow speeds, I feel for you. Maybe you haven't purchased the console yet, but when you do.. Updates like you've never seen before! :eek:

You can play while installing, but current progression is neither loaded or can be saved until updates/installs are 100% finished as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong :) Pro Tip: Play 360 games while installing One games/updates. If it's a big update like DR3 and you haven't got high speeds, sleep on it.

Edited by Dirty130

Currently there is no changelog to indicate what's actually changed, but what we do know is that this will no add to the overall size of the game, therefore if Dead Rising 3 already takes up 20GB on your HDD, then it won't add another 13GB to the total.

^ You are right, the game after the uptade for me is 24.5gb.

Well, if that is correct, the patching-mechanism is just plain wrong. Why would I need 60% (13GB) of modified files to download if the total size on disk "only" grows from 20GB (plain install) by 20% to 24GB?

Hopefully we see other developers do this better on upcoming games but can you imagine what happens if you got like 20 games installed (say 600GB) and each one wants a 10GB update within a timeframe of a week? Some people will be downloading for weeks on end and I don't think that's how Microsoft intended it to be :)

I was a few hours into farming the zombie kill PP challenge when my game suddenly went black and I got hit with a screen saying the game had an update. I don't know if the game crashed, tried to start and hit the update, or if I was forced out of the game, but either way I went from ~180/200k zombies dead back to ~40k/200k.

I know it's mostly my fault for not saving, but boy oh boy is it frustrating.

its crap like this that are making the non removable hard drive a complete pile of shit, considering if or should i say when your x1 breaks down and has to be sent in for repairs you will lose all the shit on your hard drive and will have to reinstall everything and re-down load every thing since you know that M$ will send you some one elses fixed x1 and not yours back. which also means you will have to delete everything the previous person had on the hard drive before you can even install your stuff back on and of course re download all the over sized updates.

if/when M$ allows you to use a extrernal hard drive it will probably be one that they has their name on and will probably onely be a 500gb hard drive that will cost you $200 when you could have bought a non branded M$ 3TB hard drive for $100. and even if we can use an external we still can not manage it our self (hopefully they let us soon in an update) so are we going to be able to transfer all the crap already on the hard drive over to the new external?

another reason to stay away from digital downloads.