Arcade's Closed Kids, Go Home

chriscutis

After quite a while of the client and game packs 1-9 unavailable for download without them in your history, absence of single plays, and only games from packs 10-13 purchasable, the Game Room has vanished completely. Using the bing games search it will suggest game room as your likely search but return no relevant results. Selecting it in my recent games and hitting X to view Game Details just shows the options as Play Now or Delete. You can't buy any games at all anymore within Game Room. Leaving me a minimum of four games shy, I just bought a few from 10-13 the other day and was going to get some more today when I saw this sad state of affairs. I wanted to give them my money to finally complete this failed but kind of fun experiment but I guess it's not worth maintaining the space on the servers or something, even though the client and 13 packs total less than a gig and a half...

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I was just having loading problems. It starts to load, but after the load bar it repeats the 'push start' screen, then freezes and I have to restart the Xbox. However, on my 3rd attempt this past weekend it loaded up and worked fine. Now it freezes again. Is there an official statement somewhere about it going down? My Xbox recently updated, is it possible that the update is just interfering? Shouldn't my downloaded games work even without the servers just like Army of Two?

And I'm @ 900 on this one too. @$&%.

Edited by THE DEADLY DOG
Double post being merged together.

I thought I was just having loading problems. It starts to load, but after the load bar it repeats the 'push start' screen, then freezes and I have to restart the Xbox. However, on my 3rd attempt this past weekend it loaded up and worked fine. Now it freezes again. Is there an official statement somewhere about it going down? My Xbox recently updated, is it possible that the update is just interfering? Shouldn't my downloaded games work even without the servers just like Army of Two?

And I'm @ 900 on this one too. @$&%.

Nope, no official statement, just pulled the plug with no warning, the usual M$ assfuckery... They have our money and don't give a shit about us, if they did they wouldn't let shit like this happen. Or EA/2K turning off servers. If they really cared they'd force EA/2K to, at their expense, send stickers to every game retailer to put warning labels on their closed games that a good portion of the content advertised on the box is gone permanently. But, hey, we're gamers, we're all nerds with taped up glasses covered in acne living in our parents basements, right?

You know, one of the painful parts of this is that there was a touch of brilliance lost in Game Room. This was a great way to access some really vintage fun in a unique presentation. Ever tried hooking your Intellivision 2 up to an HD projector? I wish my games menu in Xbox Arcade was visually displayed like old arcade cabinets. This would even be a great way for X1 to make the non-backwards compatible stuff available.

Unfortunately a lot of people missed the high points (or the experience at all) because the developer tanked, MS didn't support it and all that got out was word of all the frustration.

I'm sure once you jumped some hurdles finding the right people a lot of the old school developers had no problem with their thirty-year-old product being repackaged in a relevant way again.

• 3 weeks later...

This is really something awful. I had almost $100 invested in this game over the years because I really, really enjoyed it. I can't access any of it now. I feel like Microsoft owes me that money back. I can't believe this BS. My digital copy of Pitfall went poof yet the 35 year old cartridge version I have still works. Yeah, great job Microsoft.

• 2 months later...

I tried this when it came out and it was decent, I assume it's gone forever now though? I didn't think it was popular at all. I finally felt like looking back into it to knock out some achievements. It really sucks for those who invested money into it though.

• 2 months later...

Well damn. I had downloaded this awhile ago because it looked interesting. Got an achievement as soon as I loaded the game so figured at some point the completionist in me is going to demand I finish it. And now I read this and find out I'll always have this unfinished game on my list.

I know Microsoft allows you to remove any game from your list that still has 0GS, but it'd be nice if they expanded that to include games that have required servers that have been shutdown and are now impossible to finish.

Oh well.

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I had read somewhere that you can still play any games you have on your account in your arcade if you unplugged from xbox live. Since you can't redownload any games, you are stuck with what you have stored on your hard drive.

I tested this over the weekend, 5/14/17, and it worked. I have the old Food Fight arcade game on there and wanted to play it. It worked fine, and my times and scores were counting towards the medals, so achievement progress is tracked but only offline. There is hope for those out there that have a lot of games saved up trying to earn achievements.

Play offline, earn achievements, then when you connect back to Xbox live on home screen, you should be credited with those towards your GamerScore.

I am still disappointed this wasn't given more support. I would have loved to see more vintage 80's arcade games. I wish the developers were as excited as I was about this when it came out.

• 3 years later...

Are you guys serious?  You can't even download the modules you once downloaded before?  You SHOULD be able to do it from your download history, NOT looking for the content in the store/dashboard of the games store of the Xbox 360.  I believe I have EVERY module they released, still on my hard drive (though I only ever bought one game, "Tutankham" - which I just played for a little over an hour, and got that 'My Blisters have Blisters!' achievement... I posted about it under that thread for that one achievement).

I'd take a look at your download history, to see if you can find those modules.  Oh... don't scroll too fast through your download history (using the triggers).  Whenever I did that, it always seemed to crash the download history, and I would have to back-out and start over.  Also, you don't want to skip-over the files you are looking for!

Good luck, and let me know if you are able to find and redownload your Game Room modules, AND play the full version of the games you paid for!!!

Edited by Restricted-Access