Rumor: PS4 uses more RAM for OS than Xbox One

xhunterrrr

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/07/26/35gb-of-playstation-4-ram-reportedly-reserved-for-os

The baseline RAM for games is 4.5GB compared to the Xbox One's 5GB. However, the PS4 can grab an extra 1GB from the OS if necessary.

If this is true, so much for that 7/1 split that people claimed made the PS4 better. It'll be interesting to see if the Xbox One can reduce OS RAM usage, too.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck me I RAN..RAN here to post this before anyone else and here you are. lol

Anyhow I laughed when I read this...and it also made me smile :p

Probably not a rumor though, digital foundry has been pretty good dishing out good info.

I ran, too. I am also on my phone, so I got mad posting skills. :p

This just shows how similar the two systems are and that all these things people spout off for what makes the PS4 better is just a load of crap.

I'm fat and slow, so I just walked here ...

But I especially am enjoying the comments section on IGN as all the fanboys are out in force, defending the PS4 and now saying the RAM doesn't matter.

It only mattered when the PS4 had more, now that it has less, it's not a big deal ;)

No surprise there. They have done that about everything else that was supposedly better, but turned out not to be.

This has made my day, not because i am a Microsoft fanboy or anything, i just find it absolutely hilarious when it comes to light that so many people have wasted so much of their life championing a console based on bullshit.

Some people just need to chill and realise however much they bitch about the competitor of their console of choice they are never going to get the sexual favours they yearn for from their chosen company.

I'm fat and slow, so I just walked here ...

But I especially am enjoying the comments section on IGN as all the fanboys are out in force, defending the PS4 and now saying the RAM doesn't matter.

It only mattered when the PS4 had more, now that it has less, it's not a big deal ;)

I just couldn't be fucked, so here I am waltzing in.

It is funny though, reading the comments. Always gives a good laugh.

Fuck me I RAN..RAN here to post this before anyone else and here you are. lol

Anyhow I laughed when I read this...and it also made me smile :p

Probably not a rumor though, digital foundry has been pretty good dishing out good info.

lol I was wondering who the first person to post this news would be. This news may explain this:

http://2eq9hztv2wc1k6odx469m9znq0.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/WP_20130712_006-1-1024x576.jpg

It has been a roller-coaster couple of months at Microsoft Xbox headquarters, with a high-profile policy reversal and the departure of the division’s top exec. The pressure is no doubt mounting as the team gears up for the Xbox One release this fall. But at least one mystery demo in a conference room had (almost) everybody smiling.

The picture above (click the image to enlarge) was tweeted this afternoon by Albert Penello, who leads planning for Xbox One, Xbox Live and Kinect. “You know you’re building something awesome when this is how the room looks during feature demos!” he wrote, with the hash tag #xboxone.

Xbox vice president Marc Whitten, who is at the head of the table in the center of the picture, retweeted the picture today and pointed out that everyone out there would much rather see the feature itself than the reactions.

Although it was tweeted today, the shot was actually taken earlier this month, according to the SkyDrive date stamp. At any rate, it’s a fun little behind-the-scenes glimpse of Xbox HQ.

Any guesses about the feature? Bonus points for anyone in the comments who can name at least three of the other people in the room. Also, is that a beer on the table before 5 p.m.?

Update, Friday morning: The plot thickens. An eagle-eyed reader notes that the person in the pink shirt to the right of the frame looks a lot like Dave Campbell, the longtime Microsoft SQL Server technical fellow who is now listed as CTO of Microsoft’s Server & Tools Division. If so, it’s interesting that he was in an Xbox meeting.

Update II: I’m told that’s not Campbell but rather Stuart Ashmun, who is in charge of industrial design. Also, someone is helpfully annotating the original photo on SkyDrive with the IDs of some of the people in the room.

Source: http://www.geekwire.com/2013/picture-making-xbox-team-happy/

I'm not the most tech savvy person around here but what I can gather from reading about this is that most high end PC games don't even come close to using 4GB of RAM for their games, so this shouldn't be much of an issue for either console especially compared to what have on current machines. But my question for whoever might know more about this than I do is, how much of that RAM is being used for the game recording or other processes that some of us might now even want to use? Assuming you turned off that function (can we?), how much would that cut down the amount of RAM used?

I'm not the most tech savvy person around here but what I can gather from reading about this is that most high end PC games don't even come close to using 4GB of RAM for their games, so this shouldn't be much of an issue for either console especially compared to what have on current machines. But my question for whoever might know more about this than I do is, how much of that RAM is being used for the game recording or other processes that some of us might now even want to use? Assuming you turned off that function (can we?), how much would that cut down the amount of RAM used?

Crysis 3 ram footprint is 3 gigs

allocation cannot be changed by turning features off on our end

But my question for whoever might know more about this than I do is, how much of that RAM is being used for the game recording or other processes that some of us might now even want to use? Assuming you turned off that function (can we?), how much would that cut down the amount of RAM used?

I'd say all the extra features probably would probably be looking at ~2/3GB max, though that's just me guesstimating.

Edited by Burnout x360a

Yes, and have you ever noticed how freaking slow everything is on the 360? It takes FOREVER to do much on the dashboard.

That's probably kind of an irrelevant example though, hopefully that won't be an issue next-gen. I think a big part of that are all of the dashboard changes/updates/ads they've added over the years and it's just turned into one big mess. I've felt for awhile the dashboard has been a permanent beta for the Xbox One's dashboard, I'm sure the new one will work great.

That's probably kind of an irrelevant example though, hopefully that won't be an issue next-gen. I think a big part of that are all of the dashboard changes/updates/ads they've added over the years and it's just turned into one big mess. I've felt for awhile the dashboard has been a permanent beta for the Xbox One's dashboard, I'm sure the new one will work great.

It'd probably be a bit better, though, if it wasn't relying on GDDR memory.

The weird thing is the PS4 was original designed with 4GB RAM, the decision to double it was made just before the console announcement. So what is now causing all this bloat? Assumably some of it is being saved for adding new features.

Maybe they decided to double the RAM because they were left with only .5GB for games. :p

The suprise to me is that ps4 has no ram..... let me explain. While the xbox one has dedicated ram. The ps4 has gddr5 ram on the gpu. Its making the graphics card do double duty as ram and a graphics processing unit. Seems to me to be a recipe for disaster.

Not really, the CPU and GPU will be on the same die so they are an APU (Or Accelerated Processing Unit), which is the same for both machines.