A (Not foolproof) way to avoid the save/load glitch

Blackjaw x

If a moderator sees this, please change the title to:

Avoiding the Corrupt Save Glitch

As we all know, saved games in Far Cry 2 can get corrupted. This means that when you go to load them, your console freezes. You turn it back on to find that most or all of your saves are corrupted, and you get pissed off and miss out on an otherwise great game [(this is debatable, but this is my thread so GTFO!) nah, just kidding... but I do like it].

So, here are the steps to take to try to work around the glitch and make it through to 100%.

1. Clear up some 1000 mb on your hard drive.

2. EVERY time you save, create a new save. Never overwrite. It's not overwriting that causes the glitch, but the more saves you have, the better chance you have of one of them working.

3. Play the game as normal.

4. If/when you go to load and your save is corrupt, take the time to check every save you have, from the most recent to "way back when...". To save some time, turn on auto-sign in and make your xbox load the disc on startup.

5. When you find one that works, STOP. Take out a piece of paper you won't lose, and write down: a) The exact time of this save. b) The location at which you saved: (ie: Bus stop in the west, Mike's bar, underground location hut in the north, etc). If the same location works more than once when all the others are corrupted, this should mean that this location will always work.

6. This may seem like a pain, but continue to load your older saves, marking down the time and location of all the working ones. You can stop after you have a few, I don't expect you to go through all thousand of them.

7. From now on, don't even bother saving unless you're at one of those locations. Whenever you're done a mission, go to that place and save, and write down the time.

8. Over time, some of the locations may stop working, but hopefully at least one should continue to work until you get to 100%.

For me, I didn't experience the corrupt save glitch until after 60% or so, and the save location that worked for me was the Northwest bus station (in the southern territory). Whenever I finished a mission, I would go to a bus stop, travel to that station (at which point it saves), then travel back to whatever bus stop I was just at, or the closest one to my next objective. It's not really that much of a pain. Let me know if this location works for you too, but I doubt it's universal.

If all else fails, beat the game in one sitting without dying! If a save worked at one point, it will never become corrupt, so as long as you have one a few hours from the end you can always keep loading it and trying to do everything without dying.

Edited by Blackjaw x

I haven't experienced this glitch yet - I only just reached 60% - but yesterday I ran into a bug where the door to Mike's Bar just wouldn't work. The Y-prompt never showed, and however I positioned myself in front of the door I couldn't open it by pushing Y. And this was after finishing a task for Xianyong and on my way to report to him. Lost a good 2 hours' worth of diamond-hunting, too.

Too bad these latest open-world games tend to be so buggy. Fallout 3, I'm looking at you.

I didn't run into any saving problems in the Northern area, though the game did freeze 2 or 3 times during play.

I played a lot more today, and it seems I'm now running into the mass save glitching problem described in the first post. My saves only seem to load if they're made at the gunshop in the NW-part of the Southern Territory, or the safehouse just north of the pumping station in the S-part of the map. Haven't tried all the saves, but most of the automatic savepoints are broken as well - many of them don't load at all. Shucks.

I'm at 84% though, so I think I have the stamina to pummel through to the end. But my less patient friends will probably give up on the game if it glitches on them like this.

This must vary a lot between people, since I didn't either hear about this problem from any reviews. Anyhow, I finished the game last night, mostly in a single sitting (so I wouldn't have to load a saved game), but I didn't run into a glitching problem when I had to load from a save after dying completely near the end of the game. from 70% and upwards I made sure I saved at the 3 locations I had found to be safe glitch-wise, but most of the in-mission-auto-saves did go bad.

Oh, I also found all the safehouses in both regions, but some of those safehouse-saves glitched for me. Hope you don't run into many more problems, Moo.

Argh ... encountered the save glitch, but I only lost 20 mins of gameplay. I make a new save slot every time and it appears to have glitched on a save that I saved MID-mission i.e. before going to help out my subvert buddy for mission complete.

Never had it before and this is the only save I saved mid mission because I was going for a glider diamond :p So maybe this could be the cause?

I saved the game every time I was prompted to in missions - and I subverted every mission - but I only had the glitch after the 65% mark or so. That I know of, at least. I didn't have to load all of those mid-mission saves, but I did load a few of them, and they were fine.

The game did freeze on me sometimes while driving into some camp or another. Maybe people that never have the freezing issue won't have the save-glitch either.

Well I've just had it again ... loading a mid-mission save point. The next best save was literally right before I started the mission. The one mid mission was corrupt again.

Not only was it mid mission, but it was one of those save-after-you've-finished an important bit of the mission. I've gone back and tested a batch of them and all of those are corrupt. Freaky deaky pattern or coincidence? I'd hedge money on the former.

Well I've just had it again ... loading a mid-mission save point. The next best save was literally right before I started the mission. The one mid mission was corrupt again.

Not only was it mid mission, but it was one of those save-after-you've-finished an important bit of the mission. I've gone back and tested a batch of them and all of those are corrupt. Freaky deaky pattern or coincidence? I'd hedge money on the former.

hmm webb i really dont get that iv never had that problem and ive always saved on 1 i always overwrite :)

Is it correct that the game starts freezing after 60%? Im at 50% now and Im planning to do all side missions (like towers, find all save houses, gun shops, diamonds etc.) before I continue with the main missions. Is there any chance that my game will freeze? I got 5 saves and when I save I overwrite the top one. Because the oldest are at top I always got 5 saves pretty close to each other. Is this the good way?

Thanks

Is it correct that the game starts freezing after 60%? Im at 50% now and Im planning to do all side missions (like towers, find all save houses, gun shops, diamonds etc.) before I continue with the main missions. Is there any chance that my game will freeze? I got 5 saves and when I save I overwrite the top one. Because the oldest are at top I always got 5 saves pretty close to each other. Is this the good way?

Thanks

ey i wouldnt say that it "does" but it can freeze with any 1 or corrupt but lucky me i aint been 1 of those few people hehe gl

• 4 weeks later...

hmm, i had this happen once but luckily one of my very latest saves wasnt corrupt. However, I think my game is bugged pretty badly, as my guns will often just "not work" as in they dont fire. They dont break or jam either, and occasionaly ill just freeze and not be able to move for a couple of minutes. Plus, every time I go in either the APR or UFLL faction HQ's in the north and south to do a mission, the door VERY OFTEN isnt open (to the guy on the couch). I have to just keep leaving and re-entering until it opens. Sort of annoying.

Also, I'd like too add - never ever save on 91-92% if you wnt to load up a dodgy save every time.

Ohh yeah, and swim too mikes in the south, I had the game freeze during play down the road to mikes in the south.

Oh well, at least it'll be pached soonish - ubi have finally found out the source of the glitch, and they better fix it quick, as I don't want a third playthrough just for a glitched cell tower cheevo!:p

so what happens when you finish the game and say have around 183 saves. any way to quickly delte most of them?

what's up digital, no way to delete 'most' of them quickly, but you can delete all of them in the console settings, memory, and delete the saved game. doubt you want to do that though.

what's up digital, no way to delete 'most' of them quickly, but you can delete all of them in the console settings, memory, and delete the saved game. doubt you want to do that though.

whats up buddy! yeah i was tryin to figure out another way. like if i had a memory card, copy the saves i want to keep and delete the rest. oh well guess i'll do it the long way over a time period.

I'm only at 12% in the North with all convoys hit, all diamonds found, a few main missions done, and one cell tower mission done. Should I be fine? I've only had one freeze in this game and it was while I was doing three things: driving, being shot at, chased, and looking at the map. Plus it was really hot in my room too.

Quick question: Can you counter the corrupt save glitch by saving to a memory card instead of an HDD? Like copy a good save to a MU, then when it corrupts, delete FC2 off of the HDD then start again and copy the good save? Will that work as well?