Rare Director Talks About Bringing Back Beloved IP to Xbox One

Walecs360

its about time xbox one had something new announced for it... all ive seen since its launch are companies "playing it safe" releasing games solely for 360 and ps3...
They're not playing it safe, it just takes years to develop games.

Games coming out now have been in development.

Then you have to buy development kits, those aren't cheap.

New tech, so they have to learn how to code for it.

I guess it's not even the same people there anymore?
Nope, they're all gone.

It amazes me the lack of originality that gamers demand from developers. It seems like every "I want this game" thread is about some game that came out 10 years ago that they want to see remade. For someone who wants to see this industry move forward, it is frustrating to hear so many mired in the past.

I've got no problems with remakes or sequels. New IPs are great but there's nothing wrong with seeing something we've seen before, especially if it's been a long time.

A new Conker or Banjo game would be fantastic for example because Xbox needs more platformers and some memorable characters. The original Xbox launched in 2001 and here we are 13 years later, and we don't really have a Mascot a la Mario or Sonic.

Viva Pinata and Kameo are just fantastic games.

A spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie was secretly in development, but it got canned.

http://www.digitalspy.com.au/gaming/news/a566329/banjo-kazooie-spiritual-successor-canned-says-composer.html

Fuck you Microsoft and fuck you Phil Spencer for rejecting any game Rare had an idea for and you decided it was better to give them a Kinect title.

I've got no problems with remakes or sequels. New IPs are great but there's nothing wrong with seeing something we've seen before, especially if it's been a long time.

A new Conker or Banjo game would be fantastic for example because Xbox needs more platformers and some memorable characters. The original Xbox launched in 2001 and here we are 13 years later, and we don't really have a Mascot a la Mario or Sonic.

Viva Pinata and Kameo are just fantastic games.

Yeah I was thinking about that a while back. Xbox doesn't have a mascot!

A spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie was secretly in development, but it got canned.

http://www.digitalspy.com.au/gaming/news/a566329/banjo-kazooie-spiritual-successor-canned-says-composer.html

Fuck you Microsoft and fuck you Phil Spencer for rejecting any game Rare had an idea for and you decided it was better to give them a Kinect title.

That was an Indie game that had nothing to do with MS or Rare besides it being made by former Rare employees.

They're not playing it safe, it just takes years to develop games.

Games coming out now have been in development.

Then you have to buy development kits, those aren't cheap.

New tech, so they have to learn how to code for it.

Of course they're not by choice, but when was the last time you saw the rare name on a violent video game?

It's either viva piñata or some form of kinect title.

Everyone thought it was rare making killer instinct, which it wasn't.

Microsoft wouldn't let their family game making company ruin the image of "well they make games for children so they must be a family company"

Would it be mean to say that I really don't have much hope in anything Rare would put out? After Microsoft bought them, they really didn't do much of anything that was super-good. People wax nostalgic about the Rare that was but the modern rare is a shell of its former self. Aren't they in charge of all the Avatar designs and all that?

Of course they're not by choice, but when was the last time you saw the rare name on a violent video game?

It's either viva piñata or some form of kinect title.

Everyone thought it was rare making killer instinct, which it wasn't.

Microsoft wouldn't let their family game making company ruin the image of "well they make games for children so they must be a family company"

Well in your original post you said "companies" and what you just posted here has absolutely nothing to do with the original point I think you were trying to make.

Although you make a pretty keen observation about Rare of late, you neglected the fact they made the Conker port Live & Reloaded which included the ability to unlock a option to un-censor the foul language and it had tons of blood.