Two questions

Lavindathar

I no longer have access to the iOS version, but I'll try and guide you along as best as I can from the Windows Phone version.

1. No idea why it would have picked that up as your location, but it's pretty easy to change. From the main screen where you initially hit Play, you should be able to scroll left and right between various screens, go over a few times until you hit "Help & Options" (or something similar, again, this is what WP8 shows...). From that screen scroll down until you see "Leaderboard flag", should be able to change it to the UK there. :)

2. I often found that frenemies weren't being added (while on any platform!), despite me highlighting them. Just have to keep trying to add people over various games, maybe add multiple (lower skilled) people at once, maybe one of them will stick... If they were properly added you should see them in your frenemies list, also viewable from one of those screens while scrolling left/right at the main menu. If nothing works this may be easiest to boost with someone on your friends list. Everyone on your Xbox Live friends list should automatically be a frenemy, so you won't have the issue of them not being added properly.

Hope that helps :)