343: Next Halo will be 'much better'

Hishoa

Time to settle this:

Halo 4 is to Halo: Reach as Halo: Reach is to Halo 3 and Halo 3 is to Halo 2. Every game in the series has undeniably been less enjoyable than the previous in the series. The games ultimately suffer from being too much of the same thing year after year after year while the community becomes more and more obnoxious and immature. People THINK it's the changes to the series, but it's not. If you were really so upset about the changes that the latest game had made, than why not just go back to playing an older game in the series? Because it's still as old and dated and played out as the rest of the series.

Moral of the story: If you're tired of the series, find a new series. I'm fortunate enough to still be interested in the Halo Universe, so I can still play Halo titles, but there's no point dragging yourself through a series if you don't enjoy it anymore.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are only saying this after the fact. If Halo 4 was Halo 3 with HD graphics and a few new tweaks (in the same fashion that Halo 3 was Halo 2 with a few tweaks) You would love it. We'd all love it and eat it up every day for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Uhmm...no. I wouldn't. Why would I want Halo 4 to play exactly like Halo 3 if I already had played massive amounts of Halo 3. It needed to change, that's that.

Well now that they made it there's no way back so lets hope they learn from H4 and make Halo 5 way better. Meanwhile there is plenty other games to play. I'm also waiting for Bungie's next FPS? game..

I don't think it will be an FPS. Some say a MOORPG. Looks really good though.

Moral of the story: If you're tired of the series, find a new series. I'm fortunate enough to still be interested in the Halo Universe, so I can still play Halo titles, but there's no point dragging yourself through a series if you don't enjoy it anymore.

I'm just as interested in all the Halo lore as the next person and I've already turned my sights to newer games to play. I'm still eager for Halo 5 & Halo 6 for Story purposes and that's about it.

Edited by BiggD

Wait. When was it decided that Halo 4 was actually worse than Reach? Being tired of the same old thing aside, I though Halo 4 was a more enjoyable experience than Reach ever was. Better maps, better playlists, better armor, better loadout options. Surely Ordinance didn't kill the Halo series so much that H4 is lauded more than Reach, did it?

Wait. When was it decided that Halo 4 was actually worse than Reach? Being tired of the same old thing aside, I though Halo 4 was a more enjoyable experience than Reach ever was. Better maps, better playlists, better armor, better loadout options. Surely Ordinance didn't kill the Halo series so much that H4 is lauded more than Reach, did it?

The only thing I know is that Halo 4 has better maps and armor than Reach. that's about it. Gameplay wise I didn't fully enjoy either of them.

That's what I meant. Maps and armor were far superior to Reach's. They were about on par gameplay wise. I do wish they would bring back the Health Bar and Armor Bleed from Reach though. Probably the most gamebreaking changes to the Halo series were the removal of Health and Armor bleed and that's why Halo 1's multiplayer will always be the best in the series.

That's what I meant. Maps and armor were far superior to Reach's. They were about on par gameplay wise. I do wish they would bring back the Health Bar and Armor Bleed from Reach though. Probably the most gamebreaking changes to the Halo series were the removal of Health and Armor bleed and that's why Halo 1's multiplayer will always be the best in the series.

Hmmm, I was never a fan of the Health Bar only because it would force you to flee combat in order to search for a Health-Pack/Medkit around the map which sometimes would be completely out of your way.

I liked it for Halo CE, but once it was removed, I liked the newer Health system and grew accustomed to simply ducking behind cover and waiting for my shields to charge back up.

Hmmm, I was never a fan of the Health Bar only because it would force you to flee combat in order to search for a Health-Pack/Medkit around the map which sometimes would be completely out of your way.

I liked it for Halo CE, but once it was removed, I liked the newer Health system and grew accustomed to simply ducking behind cover and waiting for my shields to charge back up.

I thought that was half the charm of having a health bar. You had to keep an eye on your health while in combat. It was the real appeal to Halo (at least for me) because it forced people to play smart and not aggressive like they do in later Halo titles. I'd like to see MLG try to cope with balancing a deteriorating health bar with their aggressive head-on playstyle.

It's always pissed me off in later Halo games how I could unload a bunch of rounds or hit a guy with a grenade enough to hurt him only to have him take cover and everything resets like it never happened. Halo 1 if you were good you could hurt a player pretty bad, take a moment in cover to recharge shields, and go back in to finish the weaker opponent. Removing the health bar made encounters more like the Call of Duty series where it's pretty much one and done, whoever sees the other person first wins (Ironic since Call of Duty "Stole" (there's that word again) recharging health from Halo 2.)

I think I'm starting to notice my problem with multiplayer gaming. Videogames are generally lazy, obnoxious, greedy, cheating mindless dirtbags that will find the cheapest easiest way to do anything whereas I want my games to force people to think and strategize and ambush and plan and work together as a team. I need a new outlet... Haven't actually played a good competitive multiplayer game since Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. That game had the best multiplayer EVER! I kind of hope SC: Black List brings back Spies Vs. Mercenaries.

I thought that was half the charm of having a health bar. You had to keep an eye on your health while in combat. It was the real appeal to Halo (at least for me) because it forced people to play smart and not aggressive like they do in later Halo titles. I'd like to see MLG try to cope with balancing a deteriorating health bar with their aggressive head-on playstyle.

It's always pissed me off in later Halo games how I could unload a bunch of rounds or hit a guy with a grenade enough to hurt him only to have him take cover and everything resets like it never happened. Halo 1 if you were good you could hurt a player pretty bad, take a moment in cover to recharge shields, and go back in to finish the weaker opponent. Removing the health bar made encounters more like the Call of Duty series where it's pretty much one and done, whoever sees the other person first wins (Ironic since Call of Duty "Stole" (there's that word again) recharging health from Halo 2.)

I think I'm starting to notice my problem with multiplayer gaming. Videogames are generally lazy, obnoxious, greedy, cheating mindless dirtbags that will find the cheapest easiest way to do anything whereas I want my games to force people to think and strategize and ambush and plan and work together as a team. I need a new outlet... Haven't actually played a good competitive multiplayer game since Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. That game had the best multiplayer EVER! I kind of hope SC: Black List brings back Spies Vs. Mercenaries.

That's definitely true. It makes you play smarter but like I said, I guess I jus grew too accustomed to be able to hide from the enemy, which brings me to your second point, I feel that if the enemy you were shooting were low on health and began running away to get a health pack, it would turn into a cat-and-mouse chase as you try to follow him before he can heal himself.

Seems to me that you would prefer more RTS-styled/Stealth games than the general FPS nowadays. All FPS's and even TPS's have become too easy in order to attract a larger crowd. The gameplay has moved away from challenging fights and critical thinking to "let me shoot everything 'til it's dead."

And dude!!!! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?! Have you checked out this Thread on the Blacklist Forums?

--> http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=413406

Click and be amazed. They're bringing it back!

Edited by BiggD

I tend not to be very good at RTS unfortunately. Base-building and defense I'm great at, but actual attacking I'm terrible and eventually the enemy will overpower me everytime. I do enjoy my stealth games though. Infinite patience is a virtue when I play games like that.

And all I have to say is Whoo-fucking-hoo to Spies Vs. Mercs returning. That just guaranteed a pre-order right there!

I tend not to be very good at RTS unfortunately. Base-building and defense I'm great at, but actual attacking I'm terrible and eventually the enemy will overpower me everytime. I do enjoy my stealth games though. Infinite patience is a virtue when I play games like that.

And all I have to say is Whoo-fucking-hoo to Spies Vs. Mercs returning. That just guaranteed a pre-order right there!

I've never been good at them either, so you're not entirely alone on that. Speaking of stealth games...I just bought up Hitman Absolution today, hopefully it'll be here by Friday. I need a nice change of pace from shooting people with futuristic weapons.

Blacklist is going to be extremely sexy. I can tell!

I picked it up a week ago. So far I'm enjoying it. Not as good as Blood Money and Silent Assassin, but definitely not a bad game. It keeps locking up on me at the level I'm at now. Not sure if it's the game or just bad luck since my xbox has been freezing like crazy since the last dashboard update, but I haven't been able to continue yet.

Haven't tried the multiplayer either. Not decided if I'm going to or not. Honestly didn't even know it had multiplayer until I had already bought it. I'm not big into researching games these days. I find I enjoy my games more when I have no expectations.

I picked it up a week ago. So far I'm enjoying it. Not as good as Blood Money and Silent Assassin, but definitely not a bad game. It keeps locking up on me at the level I'm at now. Not sure if it's the game or just bad luck since my xbox has been freezing like crazy since the last dashboard update, but I haven't been able to continue yet.

Haven't tried the multiplayer either. Not decided if I'm going to or not. Honestly didn't even know it had multiplayer until I had already bought it. I'm not big into researching games these days. I find I enjoy my games more when I have no expectations.

Yeah, from the little I've read of it, it looks fun. I try to do little to no research on these big games so that when I go in, I don't have a negative or overly-positive mindset based off what I've watched/read.

Hitman has Multiplayer? The fuck. If you mean that Contracts Mode, then it's not an actual Multiplayer.

Oh. It isn't? What the hell is it than?

My friend explained it in detail to me. It's basically like a Challenge-Mode.

You choose a whole level, or section of a level to replay. While you're playing, you can choose up to 3 targets to make as your "Primary Targets"

The game captures how you kill them and in what suit/disguise you were using when you killed them. There's also certain conditions like: hiding all bodies, not missing a shot, not being spotted, not changing the starting suit/disguise, and using specific weapons.

After you're content with how you created your 'Contract' you exit the level by opening certain doors or windows.

Then that Contract goes Live to other Xbox LIVE players and their goal is to complete the Contract the same way you did, while trying to get the highest score.

Edited by BiggD

why not just go back to playing an older game in the series? Because it's still as old and dated and played out as the rest of the series.

That's not it at all. I don't go back to Halo CE because the only way I knew how to play with others back then was with LAN; not viable right now. I am unable to go back to Halo 2 because the servers were shut down several years ago; not viable. I will not go back to Halo 3 because of the insanely slow wait-times for unpopulated playlists -- not to mention my moderate/sometimes-strict NAT that most likely will deny me the match anyway; so no. Halo: Reach I've already gone back to and am enjoying the shit out of. I honestly don't understand it when people pull the whole "if you don't like Halo X, go back to Halo X-n!" when it's so damn obvious why many players choose not to. Previous titles in many series are more often not maintained, futher patched, or generally kept up to standards. I remember back when a group I was with made a routine of playing Halo 2 several times a month after Reach came out, nearly every other match we ran into a modder who was shooting rockets from plasma rifles or super-bouncing into the air at will with his insta-sniper. My latest attempt at Halo 3 resulted with wall-glitchers, lag-switching and general ass-hattery; the netcode of Halo: Reach was lightyears ahead of Halo 2 and Halo 3 as well.

edit: In retrospect, I suppose you are correct that many players don't go back to previous titles because they're "old and dated".. but I'm pretty sure it's in a difference sense than the one you're suggesting.

I believe there's a difference between enjoying a game series and not enjoying a particular game's multiplayer.

Better maps,

I would have to disagree. I argue that most (if not all) previous maps in any earlier Halo game are superior to Halo 4's maps, and all for one reason -- pre-placed weapon spawns that promote map control. As it stands now, Halo 4 multiplayer is nothing but a map-arena with players stumbling around looking for vehicles or players to kill with their power weapons (this is excluding those who enjoy camping with snipers.) Also, most large maps have just so much clutter on the field it's a goddamn chore to navigate with a warthog -- this is one reason I thoroughly enjoyed playing on Ragnarok. The map is simple, symmetrical and features a hill that in itself acts as a point of map control -- I will go ahead and condemn Complex for that very same reason in that its central building nearly kills any experience on that map, especially Flood.

Put simply, what happened to simple maps like The Pit? Where there was almost always an early power-struggle for the sword, invisiblity, or rockets? Now it's just a festering game of who-can-power-whore better for their next ordinance drop. Lack of incentive for map control utterly kills the maps in Halo 4. Seriously, playing on Haven feels like a glorified fiesta octagon variant.

A user-reviewer said it best:

Instead of focussing on what made Halo unique 343 decided to adopt influences from other games, most notably COD. The influence is most apparent in the new class system and map design. Because players get to choose what weapons they start with there are hardly any weapons spawned on the map. This negatively impact the map design and results in boring linear maps with no defining features. Halo 4s map design follows the designs of COD almost to a T. Put players in a big box. There are three routes to each side. The middle route that is the most dangerous and exposed and the two side routes, they tend to be corridors, with slightly smaller passages connecting all the routes in different areas. It all makes for this great game of ring around the rosy as player chase each other around the map. There was little to no thought given to the type of engagements players would have on each map and the game suffers for it.
better playlists,

What is wrong with Halo 4? The playlists and gametypes. They are even less optimized than you think -- which leads to bad playing experiences. I know this shit is true because I realize all of the maps are fun when I'm playing Oddball, and I know there is nothing wrong with the maps themselves. Oddball is the only perfect playlist.

• Asymmetrical maps everywhere; but no single-flag or one-bomb. Nope. Only Two-Flag, leaving one team always in a slight advantage (Abandon, Complex, etc.) in CTF. Imagine if Halo 2 had only Two-Flag with as many asymmetrical maps as it did. Two Flag Burial Mounds, anyone? 5v5 Two Flag Ascension? Two Flag Ivory Tower? Hell, I probably would have hated Zanzibar if it was 5v5 Two Flag. Get out of here with that nonsense.

• Lack of variety (No Assault, no Single-Flag, no FFA, no Team Snipers, no Team Doubles, no Action Sack, no Hardcore). This is what usually happens: I play two, maybe three rounds of Infinity Slayer, then back out to the Playlist menu, spend about five minutes reading the choices, trying to pump myself up for something, wishing there was a Team Snipers playlist, but there isn't, and nothing looks fun, so I just turn off my console.

• Maximum player lists for matchmade games are not optimized; 10 players in CTF, really? Ten players with sprint leaves the small maps too small, and the larger maps too large and not fun.

• So many large maps, but only one fucking 8v8 playlist?? And it's Slayer?

No 8v8 One-Flag CTF Longbow? No CTF Shatter? No 8v8 CTF Exile? Hell, 8v8 CTF on Meltdown sounds amazing.

If I were to post this a month before the launch of Halo 4; I would have been laughed at -- no one would believe it -- it's like a bad joke.

I think the maps are great, but the playlists really do fucking suck and 343 needs to be reminded every day.

better armor,

Many could argue against this. Personally I'm indifferent; armor is purely asthestic.

better loadout options.

The fact that there's loadouts to begin with makes this a sub-par Halo game out the gate. In Halo 2 and 3 AR starts, if you wanted a damn BR, you had to rush them. Same thing with Reach with its DMR.

Surely Ordinance didn't kill the Halo series so much that H4 is lauded more than Reach, did it?

No, it wasn't just Oridnance that makes H4 more lauded than Reach. It was a combination of ordinance, instant respawns, over-abundance of power weapons, heavy incentives for camping, always-sprint, god-awful playlists and unimaginative and blant gametypes that promote Halo: Reach as a better Halo game.

There was always a hidden health bar in Halo 2 and 3; you could only take so much damage when you shields were down. IIRC, if you were one AR shot from death before your shields recharged, you'd die from a single AR shot after your shields depleted.

Edited by Hishoa

- I argue that most (if not all) previous maps in any earlier Halo game are superior to Halo 4's maps.

- Most large maps have just so much clutter on the field it's a goddamn chore to navigate with a warthog.

- Lack of incentive for map control utterly kills the maps in Halo 4.

- Armor is purely asthestic.

- The fact that there's loadouts to begin with makes this a sub-par Halo game out the gate.

I agree with these. I'm tired of talking about Halo and since I don't see myself disagreeing with any of you, I'll leave it at that.

EDIT: Here's a funny pic...

554339_411481702273787_886680165_n.jpg

Edited by BiggD

It's funny because it combines two series that I love who's latest entries have been massively disappointing.

Ditto. It's a shame because ACIII was going real well, and then sucked major testicles towards the end. And Ubisoft already plans to make an ACIV...which I may not bother with.

You can read about it HERE.

Ditto. It's a shame because ACIII was going real well, and then sucked major testicles towards the end. And Ubisoft already plans to make an ACIV...which I may not bother with.

You can read about it HERE.

This isn't the AC3 forum so I won't really get into it, but suffice it to say this is the first time in many years that I threw a controller in frustration at trying to get 100% sync. Also Connor is no Ezio.

This isn't the AC3 forum so I won't really get into it, but suffice it to say this is the first time in many years that I threw a controller in frustration at trying to get 100% sync. Also Connor is no Ezio.

Don't want to go off topic either but I'll end with this.

Connor had a terrible personality.

The missions were annoying as hell. Giant and the Storm (Naval Mission) made me roar like the Hulk in frustration 4334 times.

Halo 5 will be better, it has to be. And also, I'm here hoping for a Halo 2 anniversary. It's been soooo long since I played that game. I got the Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, and it brought back memories of playing that when I was a kid. It had been so long and I fell in love with the game all over again. I completed it several times as a kid and 3 time more with the anniversary. I could not get bored of it. Combat Evolved, for me, is the best Halo game. And I believe 343 have actually done a great job with Halo 4, I'm impressed and think it's the next best Halo game after CE. This is just my opinion. I can't wait to see what they have in store for us next.