Nun Cross

Joel2211

I was hearing that if you get your honor to the highest that a nun will appear and give you a cross to wear that will stop bullets from hitting you when worn. My question is this if you missed the first time she approches you will she come back later on becuase I was coming out of armadillo and a nun stopped me and I nudged her with my horse and the blue circle went away, The only other person to approch me was a guy giving me a gift in blackwater.

She gave it to me at some random train station in Mexico. i cant remember off hand what its called, it has a long 4-part name. i didnt have the highest honor then and still don't, however it could have been when i hit max fame

From Red Dead Wiki:

Obscuridad del Santo Andres

"A blessed symbol from a far-off land. Enemies have less chance to hit you."

Outside of Las Hermanas (the nunnery). Believed to happen between noon and four and you must have hero honor status. It has a bit of a random aspect to it. A nun will appear just outside of the Las Hermanas building on the road and offer you a gift. Press B to accept it. It appears to be a rosary. However, it is likely that the mysterious nun can appear in any town as long as the player has the Hero Honor Rank. She has been seen in Armadillo, for instance, and in Casa Madrugada.

The item is stored in the Kit section of the player's Inventory.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Obscuridad_del_Santo_Andres

It doesn't stop bullets from hitting you, exactly. It simply decreases the chance of them hitting you.

You still get hit a fair bit though, I've found. But I can't figure why you guys with Hero status wouldn't have been given it. The only reason I can think of is that you've left a town too quickly and she's missed you.

If you do happen to miss her, she should come back. Everything in this game is undoable. Shoot a shopkeeper; he respawns a few days later. Kill your Stranger mission giver; he respawns a few days later. It should be the same with the nun, I reckon.

snip

If you do happen to miss her, she should come back. Everything in this game is undoable. Shoot a shopkeeper; he respawns a few days later. Kill your Stranger mission giver; he respawns a few days later. It should be the same with the nun, I reckon.

Not technically accurate. Without giving spoilers I will say that the game can still be played after you finish the story, but there is one stranger mission that can only be completed before you finish the storyline. The name of the mission is "I know you" so if you haven't beat the game yet be on the lookout for that guy. It doesn't contribute to your 100% of the game if it you miss it though.

I think you are remembering that incorrectly...

I ran into a nun who asked for a $53 donation but gave me nothing in return. So I put on my bandana and killed her. Looting her for $63 ;)

Nope. What he's remembering has happened to me 3 times so far. I've met 4 nuns offering me gifts and 2 asking for donations (gave both times).

First nun with a gift was about halfway through the missions while I was based in Armadillo. I had the second level of positive honor and about half the fame meter filled. She showed up and gave me the rosary.

Then just before hitting Fort Mercer I got hit with a nun asking for a donation. I gave her the 39 bucks she was asking for and went about my business.

Just after reaching Mexico I ran into another in Chuparosa wanting 53. Gave it to her.

Next three nuns all gave me gifts of 50-70 bucks.

Most of these theories on how to get the rosary are "bunko", to use Marston parlance. The only constant I've seen in any account I've heard is ranking up one's positive honor a level or two.

Edited by Streamjumper

I think you are remembering that incorrectly...

I ran into a nun who asked for a $53 donation but gave me nothing in return. So I put on my bandana and killed her. Looting her for $63 ;)

No, he isn't. I've met 3 nuns so far (all in Armadillo).

The first gave me the rosary.

The other two gave me $50+ dollars as a present.

I met the nun in Blackwater and then she gave me the cross.

But one time I was exiting blackwater some nun came up again and wanted to do something (it was a blue dot) I accidently missed her. Does anyone know what the second nun gives to you?

i got this really early on, in Armadillo, a nun gave it to me. It was right after I stopped Irish from robbing the two nuns in Thieve's landing. My honor was only like halfway filled too. if this helps any..

I played through the entire game, got 100% and did every achievement possible in singleplayer and I still haven't been given a cross by a nun. I've met a couple of nuns, some gave me money, some wanted me to give them money but no one gave me a cross of any kind. And I played the entire game as a good guy, the only time I killed innocents or lawmen was by mistake or when the game asked me to. So it seems to be completely random, or it might be because I rarely stayed in a town for long before running of doing something (I found hunting remarkably soothing).

I played through the entire game, got 100% and did every achievement possible in singleplayer and I still haven't been given a cross by a nun. I've met a couple of nuns, some gave me money, some wanted me to give them money but no one gave me a cross of any kind. And I played the entire game as a good guy, the only time I killed innocents or lawmen was by mistake or when the game asked me to. So it seems to be completely random, or it might be because I rarely stayed in a town for long before running of doing something (I found hunting remarkably soothing).

Stay in a town for a while.

Stay in a town for a while.

I tried it, I think it was yesterday or the day before that (I was doing bounties for that tasty 100% chiev), it didn't work. I waited in Chuparosa outside the police station for 'bout half an hour, one nun approached me asking for a $63 donation, then I waited in Blackwater outside the train station for about one hour or so and not one nun was to be seen anywhere. Anyhow I'm done with singleplayer now so I don't really care anymore. I don't know how much it lowers the probability of getting hit but it's not really an issue in the game anyway, my greatest enemy in the game were those pesky grizzly bears, I took a page from Stephen Colbert and added them to my "On Notice Board" after this game.