This Or Downpour?

I'm stuck deciding between this or Downpour, I have never played any of the Silent Hill games and have hardly played any Survival Horror Games, I've read some reviews and I've been edged into buying the HD Collection, but I want to know which one has the more in depth story line and the one that is sure to spook me out!

im in a similar situation, stuck between downpour or HD, but i have played several silent hills (1,2,4, origins, homecoming). if you want a "newer" experience but dont want to spend the money, im sure you can buy homecoming for $20 or less now. its been several years since i played it, but i really enjoyed it at the time.

I bought the HD collection, but i havent opened it bc I am still deciding whether to take it back and get downpour. i dusted off my ps2 to play the original SH2 to help weigh in on my decision, damn game still creeps me the hell out!

Since Homecoming (or was it Origins), Team Silent wasn't working on the games anymore. Which made Silent Hill controlled by a western developer. Now, SH1, 2, 3 and 4 were all Japanese developers. Japanese is the way to go with horror. SH2 & 3 are easily the greatest Survival Horror games in existence. But then again, it's still hard not to get annoyed at the freezing in this game, especially in 3. Waiting for bosses to die for 5 mins instead of 2 seconds.

If you've never played an old-school survival horror but are used to modern ones like Dead Space, you might prefer Downpour.

Silent Hill 2 should not be missed though - If you can endure the crap controls and awkward fighting, it's an awesome game!!! :p Not only that, but Silent Hill 3 is in there too, which is probably also better that Downpour.

Personally I'm an old-school survival horror fan, but once I'm finished with the HD collection I think I'll check out Downpour. I bet it'll drop in price very fast.

Buy both!

I'm new to this series, and thanks for the posts here, I think I'll start my SH journey from this collection. I don't really mind about those glitches if the game actually offers a good story and scary atmosphere. Is there a timeline in Silent Hill series or are they totally separated games (no continuity)? I know I shouldn't compare games to movies, but that Silent Hill movie was quite awful. Hopefully the games are much better. :)

Not sure about the most games, but i know that:

Origins->SH1->SH3

The other games don't really fit it. There are hints in all the games that point towards other games, but you don't really miss much, if you don't play one of the others.

If you want to learn more about SH, then read this article about Alessia (the reason for the town being as it is now):

http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Alessa_Gillespie

Sadly, there are spoilers....the german article is better

http://www.silenthillwiki.de/index.php?title=Alessa

Silent Hill 2 & 3 are still viewed upon as two of the greatest survival horror experiences ever made. If you haven't played any of them, I would strongly recommend playing them before trying Downpour (or any of the other SH games not made by Team Silent).

Silent Hill 2 without a doubt, has the best story. It's really creepy, and as the story unravels when you go through the game, you start seeing just how well put together the plot is. The atmosphere and music is so well-made, and you go through the entire game with a general feeling of unease. The game doesn't rely on cheap scares and "jump-moments" to creep you out, but with atmosphere, and underlined themes such as rape, incest, molestation, murder and psychosis. Themes that have never been touched upon again by any game (at least to my knowledge).

Silent Hill 3 is a bit weaker in the story department, but excels at one thing extremely well: the visuals. It's just so disturbingly twisted and visually warped compared to anything you've ever seen. Heather's decent into the bowels of madness is a very different experience compared to SH2, but yet very familiar in terms of gameplay mechanics and style. The Alternate Hospital is one of the creepiest places I've ever visited in a videogame, and it is just completely out of this world.

Here's an example:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIXDigISiPg]Silent Hill 3 Alternate Hospital 3F Storeroom scene - YouTube[/ame]

A lot of complaints have been adressed towards the HD Collection, but it's nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be. I've played through SH2 4 times now, and the only bothersome bugs I've encountered were slight slowdowns when achievements are unlocked, and a few minor audio glitches (audio looping and varying in samplerate). I haven't gotten around to playing SH3 yet, but I can't imagine it being very different from SH2 in terms of bugs and problems. It's nothing gamebreaking, and you shouldn't let these minor problems scare you away from experiencing these amazing games!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Aidexx the Silent Hill movie isn't bad at all, it's basically the first game with a woman instead! The Sean Penn bits were weak but for the most part it was amazingly close to the game.... Especially running through the dark alley surrounded by children. If you disliked the film DO NOT play the games! The games have the same psychological atmosphere and confusing visuals as the film and the plots tend to be very confusing up until the end.... If you didn't like the film you'll hate the games

I liked the movie and haven't played the game yet. Thanks I'll check out the collection. I remember a video trailer of the first game on several demo discs I have for PS1 and they scared the shit out of me.

• 4 weeks later...
I liked the movie and haven't played the game yet. Thanks I'll check out the collection. I remember a video trailer of the first game on several demo discs I have for PS1 and they scared the shit out of me.

I never played the original, but I did see the film. In fact it was the film (plus Alan Wake in a way) that helped me decide to get the HD collection as soon as I saw it.

I've heard that the HD Collection was glitchy mainly (and ironically) for PS3 folks. Being a 360 user, I haven't experienced much in the way of glitches, per say. I have come across audio looping, but that's not really an end of the world kind of thing. About the only thing really that upset me with the collection was the changing/removal of certain sounds present in the original PS2 version. For instance, veteran players no doubt knowing, the certain boat horn noise that usually plays when going down a certain looooooong staircase (don't want to spoil for newbies) is no longer there. There's only a bizarre clicking noise amongst silence. Being one of my favorite sounds in the game, that really ticked me off, and I personally don't see Konami planning to fix any of that. If they can't be assed to pay the original voice actors, I doubt they'll commit much more to the gamers.

But anyway, to the initial question at hand, I would personally choose the HD collection over Downpour. In my honest opinion, every Silent Hill game after 4 has pretty much sucked and only diluted the quality of the series. If you want to get the true feeling of Silent Hill, I would DEFINITELY recommend the Collection, hands down.

• 4 months later...

Silent Hill Downpour is okay, although it is not very scary. It is a short game, and I completed it in 2 days, I like the Otherworld parts of the game though, but I thought the storyline for this game was weak. This game is kind of a departure from the survival horror theme/genre.

This game is reletively easy to complete, except boss fights like fighting the bogeyman,on hard dificulty/hard puzzle difficulty was extremely hard for me. I got stuck there and eventually sold the game, although if I got past that then, I would have completed most of the stupid side missions that are only worth 5 Gamerscore. The difficulty in the game affects the location of puzzle items, that you need to find, and how difficult it is to beat a boss in the game. For example on easy difficulty, when I fought the bogeyman, I had a handgun, and lots of health, on hard dificulty I had a fireaxe, and barely any health, it was impossible. At least Silent Hill Homecing still has the creepy survival horror feeling, that game was slighty better, than Downpour.

I've started playing the HD Collection, myself so far it is good. If you like survival horror games then you'll like this series and resident evil among others.

Edited by Catwoman

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you played the original games 1, 2, 3, 4 and then you play Downpour, you'll notice a big change from then to now. I believe the newer Silent Hill title are developed by a different company along side Konami of course but the changes in Downpour are noticeable. Downpour to me seemed more action filled and had you using weapons alot more often as for the older ones were more like a puzzle solving mind F game. Anyway enough of my ranting. Play the HD collection their classics but also play Downpour. Their all great games. ;)