DS1 or DS2 ?

kedifare

finally I got all achievements and did also a lot of exra stuff...

I would like to hear what u ppl think now about DS2.

I LOVE THE SOULS GAMES :drunk- but in my oppinion DS1 what slightly better.

what was missing, was this "SHORT-CUT-LEVEL-DESIGN" - there are a few shortcuts in DS2 but nothing compared to DS1.

And the items for weapon smithing are way to frequently.

by the end of my 1st playthrough i had 4 +10 weapons and i guess 12 titanit slabs left... so it makes the player not think anymore which weapons you want to reinforce - you just reinforce all of them... takes out the excitement - specially later on.

so now i m done with my high level critics - what do u guys think?

finally I got all achievements and did also a lot of exra stuff...

I would like to hear what u ppl think now about DS2.

I LOVE THE SOULS GAMES :drunk- but in my oppinion DS1 what slightly better.

what was missing, was this "SHORT-CUT-LEVEL-DESIGN" - there are a few shortcuts in DS2 but nothing compared to DS1.

And the items for weapon smithing are way to frequently.

by the end of my 1st playthrough i had 4 +10 weapons and i guess 12 titanit slabs left... so it makes the player not think anymore which weapons you want to reinforce - you just reinforce all of them... takes out the excitement - specially later on.

so now i m done with my high level critics - what do u guys think?

I thought 1 was far and away more challenging but that's my opinion. I also played DS1 purely pyro and DS2 pure melee and it still felt easier. Having a much better Co-Op system was excellent but made some bosses very easy. So I guess in reality I don't really know how hard some of these bosses are since I've rolled in there with 2 extras.

I feel kind of dirty saying this but I liked the fast travel, and being able to clear an area of enemies if you wanted an easy path to the next boss.

I guess some of the anticipation & fear of new areas is kind of lost with these new features, but the addition of extra boss fights and combat abilities made up for it.

This very well just could be the fact that it's not the first Soul's experience so it will never compare for that reason alone.

I like the direction they went and I will play it just as much as the first. If DS1 was a 10/10, then this is a 9.5/10.

I love this series and cannot wait for the next. Might actually buy a ps3 just for Demons Souls.

I thought 1 was far and away more challenging but that's my opinion. I also played DS1 purely pyro and DS2 pure melee and it still felt easier. Having a much better Co-Op system was excellent but made some bosses very easy. So I guess in reality I don't really know how hard some of these bosses are since I've rolled in there with 2 extras.

I feel kind of dirty saying this but I liked the fast travel, and being able to clear an area of enemies if you wanted an easy path to the next boss.

I guess some of the anticipation & fear of new areas is kind of lost with these new features, but the addition of extra boss fights and combat abilities made up for it.

This very well just could be the fact that it's not the first Soul's experience so it will never compare for that reason alone.

I like the direction they went and I will play it just as much as the first. If DS1 was a 10/10, then this is a 9.5/10.

I love this series and cannot wait for the next. Might actually buy a ps3 just for Demons Souls.

To me, Dark Souls 2 is a chore to play. Rather than grow on me, I like it less every time I play.

Difficulty in this game is broken for the most part. Strike weapons are very powerful. Start as a Cleric so you have a Mace and go anywhere aside from the Forest of Fallen Giants (the first area you are expected to go) and you'll see what I mean. Completely unupgraded, you will still easily take down enemies and bosses with it. I makes bothering with any other weapon in the game more or less a novelty. Infuse it with Lightning and you're set for just about any situation. Couple that with another Mace (or any other strike weapon) and dual-wield power stance them and you will cream just about every boss without issue.

You'll still die, but this is more or less a result of the general slow down to your movement, so you'll often find yourself getting clipped even though you should have been out of range. That and most shields don't offer 100% physical protection. In fact, some of them don't offer much of any protection. More over, deaths feel more cheap in Dark Souls 2 and less like a fault of sloppy play.

The AI is horrendously stupid in this game. I can't tell you how many times I've stood right on top of an enemy while they just stand there for about 5 seconds before they realize what to do and aggro. Some enemies (like the big "mummy" at the top of the stairs in Lost Bastille, just before McDuff's bonfire) will do this 100% of the time.

Dark Souls 2 lacks the feeling of accomplishment that was present in the last two games. I keep trying to give it the benefit of the doubt and hope for a change of heart because I really wanted to love it, but I'm actually kinda starting to hate it.

:(

Edited by XperimntNterror

I prefer DaS1 by a very large margin, I won't go into huge detail since I've done I've covered most of my thoughts on this forum already, but most of what made the first a great game to me was the atmosphere, lore, level design, music and how tight the game felt overall.

DaS2 by comparison feels slow and clunky, the areas don't merge as well in the slightest and I really didn't think the atmosphere held a candle to the first. The music while you fight Vendrick was nice, but it doesn't last and a lot of the game just feels really cheap. Overall it's an easier experience, but with many bosses and even common enemies able to 1-hit you unless you pump up VGR. Poise really grinds me also.

Damn. You guys are harsh.

I preferred Dark Souls 1 for two simple reasons:

1. The world felt more damning
  2. The game was hard, without being cheap.

Those two things alone make the first one superior in my honest opinion. One place that captures everything wrong with Dark Souls 2 is the Shrine of Amana. I won't go into detail, but you know what I mean.

Dark Souls 2 isn't a disappointing or bad game at all. In fact, its an improvement in some areas. It definitely has a better co-op system and a better PvP mechanic. It also has more armor sets, weapons, rings, etc.

Overall, the most damning thing to the game is the cheapness. To me, that's what absolutely destroys this game for me.

I honestly don't get the way that the same people keep bashing this game. Don't like it then don't play it and certainly stop constantly posting why you don't like it, we get it.

To original poster, I love both games. Sure there are differences but they ain't massive. DS1 probably just shades it at the moment, although pvp was nearly always glitchy. I like that more people play DS2 makes co-op a lot easier, let's see if we get any DLC that would be nice.

I think I got more enjoyment out of Dark Souls II. The game was more demanding and I was able to play it on day one rather than a year after release like DS1. There is nothing like playing a souls game completely blind because nobody has any guides out yet. We must have wondered around for hours looking for what to do next.

The PvP was much smoother to me as well. I really hated it until I got to the second game, then I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I preferred the DS Lite.

LOL

I honestly don't get the way that the same people keep bashing this game. Don't like it then don't play it and certainly stop constantly posting why you don't like it, we get it.

Oh, I don't know. Probably has something to do with the original post asking what people thought, so I'm going to guess that this specific person didn't read any of the other threads with people giving their opinion one way or the other. I figure that's a pretty fair assumption and since it wasn't specified to only post if you like it... there you go.

And, as I said, I wanted to like it because of how I loved Dark Souls, so that's why I keep playing it.

Oh, I don't know. Probably has something to do with the original post asking what people thought, so I'm going to guess that this specific person didn't read any of the other threads with people giving their opinion one way or the other. I figure that's a pretty fair assumption and since it wasn't specified to only post if you like it... there you go.

And, as I said, I wanted to like it because of how I loved Dark Souls, so that's why I keep playing it.

No need to take it personally, I'm still allowed to not get why someone visits a forum with regularity to post reasons for disliking a game. Seems a bit weird to me.

At least it was obvious who I was talking about then!

X

It's ok, understanding why someone has issues with a game they had high hopes for but still enjoy playing is hard for some people to grasp, especially when they post in threads regarding that subject. Perhaps you should just stick to a threads topic in future instead of stating your inability to "get" something.

It's ok, understanding why someone has issues with a game they had high hopes for but still enjoy playing is hard for some people to grasp, especially when they post in threads regarding that subject. Perhaps you should just stick to a threads topic in future instead of stating your inability to "get" something.

Oh dear. My apologies for posting off topic, I didn't mean to upset anyone but clearly I have.

Whether some people are being harsh or not, the common factor is we all seem to dislike to the same things about DS2, but to different degrees.

This is sad, but considering I am a new dad with a now 5 month year old I can now really only game in short segments or late night which I wasn't previously able to. I've appreciated the improved co-op and fast travel for this reason alone. New Game+ on this one doesn't seem as inviting as the original either (more chore-ish).

I think a lot of people have issues with the balance too. Some bosses are meant to be annoying with certain builds but can be mitigated by the life ring, co-op, for quick retrys. DS1 it was a pain to die at some junctions of the game.

Harder or not can be up to debate, but the conveniences in this game certainly outweighs any perceived increase in difficulty.

I love the whole Souls series, but my vote for favorite is DS1. The complete feeling of loneliness and helplessness will never be matched. Fantastic combat and bosses that left a huge impression on me that still resonates to this day.

Here's hoping Miyazaki can deliver another gem with Project Beast!

• 2 weeks later...
Dark Souls 2 has yet to impress me, quite honestly. Everything feels wrong. I can't even explain, it just feels wrong.

Honestly, Dark Souls 1 is superior game in almost every way. Every death felt like a matter of sloppy play and in Dark Souls 2 it feels more like a matter of cheapness.

Don't get me wrong, Dark Souls 2 is a great game, definitely. It has it's strengths and weaknesses, but it is overall a fun and worthwhile experience.

I am a huge Souls fan 1000g both and have clocked alot of hours I'm neutral as 1 I loved the world and the bosses but was frustrated with PvP due to lag battles (I'm on good fibre optic and hard wired lol) and backstabs were abit broken and some of the paths you could take to finish the game I didn't like much sadly.

2 I loved the open world well more open than 1 and how when I completed the fast travel grid I was like oh only 9 places then it opened up more like when I found out about Shaded Woods loved that feeling also having 4 rings and better covernants and online felt better. I disliked the the feeling that much of it felt rehashed and the build up was like dark moody places use your torch, I never lit torches at all so meh.

essay over :D but I have no one better than the other I enjoyed both as much now Demon Souls (PS3) that's for another time

Click edit by mistake lol

both games are absolutely amazing

Dark souls 2 seemed a little bit easier to me, mostly due to how many ways there are to negate the effects of death...one of my characters has 5 rings of life and protection...i can literally explore until i get bored without having to worry about anything

Dark souls 1 felt a bit more challenging in that regards but like others have posted already, both games get at least a 9.5/10 for me

if u have a ps3, i'd recommend picking up demons souls also

i recently started it(after playing dark souls 1 and 2 for over 400 hours) and it's just as awesome

i am about 25 hours into my first playthrough and it seems like the most difficult of the three games to me but i love it

Edited by wexsuvslim

• 2 weeks later...