Bioshock 2 Multiplayer Farmed Out Because It Wasn't "A Strength"

Pheonix_Assassin

http://media.1up.com/media?id=3715659&type=lg

2K knew that they could handle Bioshock 2's single-player, but the new multiplayer? They decided it was best to hand that aspect over to the experts.

"You have to play to your strengths," 2K Australia senior designer Dean Tate told Gamespot.

"Digital Extremes has a long history in the multiplayer gaming arena, they're proven experts in the field."

Digital Extremes' resume includes Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Dark Sector. In the meantime, work continues on the single-player, which 2K calls "their strength."

Look for Bioshock 2 on November 3.

Source

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how others feel but this is simply the latest in a ridiculous trend of outstanding single player games that are tacking on multiplayer. For some unknown reason...Microsoft thinks that every single game that comes out now has to have some form of multiplayer. This couldn't be further from the truth. Now if this is simply a campaign co-op...then I can live with it,...but when I hear the word multiplayer...I'm thinking competitive.

Now,...as for Digitial Extremes...did any of you actually play Dark Sector? the single player campaign was severely underappreciated...but the multiplayer...again...should have been wiped across someone's ass and flushed. It was simply a case of money that they spent to develop...that should have been re-allocated to the single player development. This announcement regarding Bioshock 2 is not a good one. The best announcement they could possibly make is that they are scrapping it all together.

(this marks the end of my uber-truthful speech...)

Edited by Deathblow23

I don't know how others feel but this is simply the latest in a ridiculous trend of outstanding single player games that are tacking on multiplayer. For some unknown reason...Microsoft thinks that every single game that comes out now has to have some form of multiplayer. this couldn't be further from the truth. Now if this is simply a campaign co-op...then I can live with it,...but when I hear the word multiplayer...I'm thinking competitive.

Now,...as for Digitial Extremes...did any of you actually play Dark Sector? the single player campaign was severely underappreciated...but the multiplayer...again...should have been wiped across someone's ass and flushed. It was simply a case of money that they spent to develop...that should have been re-allocated to the single player development. This announcement regarding Bioshock 2 is not a good one. the best announcement they could possibly make is that they are scrapping it all together.

(this marks the end of my uber-truthful speech...)

... I couldn't have said it better myself. Dark Sector's campaign was alot of fun, the multiplayer just made the game unbarable... hopefully this won't be the case for Bioshock 2. I loved the first one, and hopefully I will love the second, but if they destroy Bioshock 2 the same way they did Dark Sector. I will be very upset with 2K if it sucks and they still release the multiplayer aspect, especially if it has achievements. I would prefer, if it is not their strength, they just leave out multiplayer. The first was only single player and there was nothing wrong with that. If it ain't broke, don't break it... or fix it, depending on how you see it.

The way I see it, this game needs no multiplayer. The original didn't have one and I didn't feel it needed one, either.

Indeed and I agree. But it's a tough market out there and while the first BioShock was critically acclaimed and sold rather well, it didn't receive as much credit and visibility as some other games, which were not as good, but had multiplayer.

Whether we like it or not, this is the time for online gaming and with the economy being what it is, I can understand if a company wants to add an additional feature to one of its game, in the hope of selling a few more copies. And though Digital Extremes doesn't have the best track record, they do have more experience with multiplayer than 2K. I think its a good idea for 2K to go out and have someone else do the multiplayer while they can fully concentrate on the single player aspect of the game.

And lets not forget, BioShock is 2K's baby. They like that IP. I'm sure they'll keep an eye (or two) on what Digital Extremes is doing to their game.

I think its a good idea for 2K to go out and have someone else do the multiplayer while they can fully concentrate on the single player aspect of the game.

You'll change your mind when you see the achievement list and D. Extremes has some God-awful...retarded online multiplayer achievements for you to have to suffer through to max out the game.

So many games try to 1-up each other...you had "Seriously"...then the cheevo from the The Club...then the 10K kills in Battlefield:Bad Co....then Seriously 2.0...the 53K+ kills in Dead Rising...then the knock off cheevo from L4D...etc., etc. BioShock 2 will prolly have some of the most terrible multi cheevos ever created... especially with D. Extremes at the helm. If you doubt that...go play Dark Sector online and then get back with me on it.

Aw man, you got my hopes up. I read the topic title and thought you meant they were cancelling the multiplayer. The fact that they're delegating the multiplayer to another company is good news though. This means the single player won't suffer. The only thing we have to worry about now is if they add terrible achievements for the multi. I really hope this is maxable in campaign.

I don't particularly want this game to have a MP mode, but if it does IT BETTER NOT HAVE MP ACHIEVEMENTS!

I agree. I don't think this game needs multiplayer and if it does and has multiplayer achievements then I will be really mad. Unless it is just co-op achievements, those aren't bad.

I agree. I don't think this game needs multiplayer and if it does and has multiplayer achievements then I will be really mad. Unless it is just co-op achievements, those aren't bad.

Agreed, if it is Co-op MP achievements that might be cool.

But if it is Deathmatch achievements (get 10,000 kills, etc...) then I will be pissed.