Great remake! Worth getting

We played the crap out of this as a kid and I'm very pleased how this one turned out. The level layouts are pretty much intact with some 3D sections thrown in every now and then. There's also new collectibles to find and a very small HUB to explore. The controls are a bit stiff but you get used to them, like any platformer you need to figure out how the momentum of your jumps work, traction, etc. before you can get really good.

I liked the Genesis music better instead of the new tracks, that is probably just nostalgia talking, but the boss and storm level tracks were some of my all-time favorite on the Genesis. Luckily you can choose to use the old music if you like.

I think this is a very good example of how to do a remake. You give it a fresh coat of paint while keep true to what made it great to satisfy curmudgeons like us kids of the 80s and 90s. Hope this will sell very well to reward the team that did an excellent job on it and QuackShot will be next.

Edited by Ace Attorney 86

They did a great job with this remake. The only parts that were a little off were the 3D platforming sections but it wasn't a deal breaker. That boss fight with the red dragon was a little irritating. I probably died a dozen times botching the cookie jumps between waves fighting him. It's a great remake and a fun trip down memory lane but I think the fifteen dollar price of admission is just a little high unless you really loved this game back on Genesis, which I did. If you're a first timer, I would wait for the inevitable sale.

I remember playing this game for 100's of hours on sega. I never got enough of it. Saw the gameplay footage and couldn't believe how much better the graphics. I hope the gameplay is the same as in the sega days when I finally decide to get it or if they rerelease for one

• 1 month later...

I haven't played it yet on the Xbox 360. But I did brought it and downloaded. I'll try playing it tomorrow.

But I did played it a bit on the PS 3 because I preorder it due to the nice promo they gave to it a bit exclusive. Which was getting the original Sega Genesis/Megadrive version as a preorder bonus. And all I can say is, it was worth it for me. The fact that you can play using the old original songs from the original Genesis/Megadrive is a nice bonus. And the stages are pretty good designed. It still has that old feel to it a bit. :)

Then again I will say/admit that Mickey's Castle of Illusions was my 2nd Sega Genesis game. And so I played it a lot/loved it. As a young/child gamer back then. And it getting a HD special remake/re-imagine is a wonderful and retro feeling I got when it was announced. One of the best 15$ I spent on both consoles.:)

P.S. I am a big Disney fan a bit. Mainly a sucker for Mickey/Donald things mostly. :p.

Edited by Capcom Juri Han

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It was fun, I found the lobby system a bit confusing because I played this over a long period of time and sometimes had trouble finding what room I needed to go in. It was also a little bit easy, it was fun though. I would say 6.5 out of 10. Ducktales is way better but way harder.

• 1 month later...

I was overjoyed when this game was announced and even more happy when I downloaded it. This brought back a lot of Genesis memories. Though the game was good, I felt it wasn't worth the $15 pricetag. I do recommend this game for a relatively easy 400 Gamerscore, but wait for a price drop.

• 6 months later...

I hope they also do other remakes/re-release or re-imagine updated projects of past Disney games of the same time/error as this one. I would be so thrilled/happy if the also remade Quack Shot which starred Donald Duck. And also the other great game which started the duo of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck together. I believe it was called World of Illusions or something on the Sega Genesis/Megadrive.

I'm crossing my fingers it will happen eventually ! :)

• 1 month later...

My small love showed me and introduced me to the original 16 bit version a couple of months ago. And it was so cute and charming to play. I have to buy this game on my love's game console when I get the chance. It's amazing to find out this game is a remade version of a very old game. I really had no idea, since I never owned a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive or a Super Nintendo. :)

• 2 years later...

I'm playing through this game right now on a recommendation from my girlfriend who also loved it. Never played the original myself but a whole lot of fun. From everything I've seen it's a faithful re-imagining of the original game with enough new material thrown in to not make it feel like just cashing in on the name recognition of the original Genesis title.

Also being available on Xbox One backward compatibility doesn't hurt either.