Couple of Questions before I start.

I see that theres chapter select, and that you need a minimum of 2 playthroughs, I'm just curious whether you can go back to chapter select to change difficulty in order to get Paladin related achievements. (Thereby keeping collectibles, upgrades, experience etc.) Because if so, maybe ill do a speed run on easy first, and gather everything.

Also are the trials difficulty based? Are they easier on lower difficulties?

I see that theres chapter select, and that you need a minimum of 2 playthroughs, I'm just curious whether you can go back to chapter select to change difficulty in order to get Paladin related achievements. (Thereby keeping collectibles, upgrades, experience etc.) Because if so, maybe ill do a speed run on easy first, and gather everything.

Also are the trials difficulty based? Are they easier on lower difficulties?

You need to change difficulty modes before entering a stage if you want that difficulty mode counted after finishing that stage. So yes, you can re-enter a stage anytime to get the higher difficulty mode achievements.

If you change difficulty modes inside a stage, only the lower/easier mode will count. So if you enter the stage in Knight mode, then change to Warrior mode, Warrior mode is the one that will count at the end.

You can collect items, upgrades, experience, in any difficulty mode. They get saved if you encounter a save point. You can then exit out to the World Map to go to another stage, the collectibles will still be counted.

Yes, you can do the speed run on Squire mode, finish the game all the way, then Paladin mode will get unlocked for all stages, only after finishing the final stage.

Just remember that the post credits comes before the status completion save point of the final stage so don't turn off the console until after you see that Stage Completion page.

The Trials are not difficulty mode based. You can complete them in any difficulty mode.

They are easier in lower difficulty modes, in the sense, that Gabriel will take less damage.

That's about it. Lower difficulty does not mean easier Trial though.

If you need help with the Trials, I have a complete walkthrough,

http://www.youtube.com/On3ManCr3w