What is this game like?

ByakuyaSZ

It is indeed unique, there is nothing else you can really compare it to. Even the sequel seemed to have missed what it was that made the original work so well.

That said, and judging by some of the reviews I've read, players who haven't played it previously have not been impressed, whereas those that remember it fondly love the HD release anew.

So it's possible it will polarise opinion for the new generation and only appeal to the old. Will be interesting to see what the uninitiated make of it.

Regardless, it's a day one purchase from me. I've already stocked up on MSP in preparation. Only hours to go now :)

Ahh. Thanks for the reply guys! :) I had a feeling it was going to be too unique to compare, but I just wanted to ask anyway. I guess the best way to tell if I like it or not is to play that demo huh? Well then, let the wait begin! I'm excited to discover something new :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's really hard to find any game to compare it with, but a lot of the rules in this game began to later apply to the 3D sonic games, starting with Sonic Adventure 2.

You basically have this open 3D environment but your restricted to a small area of it until you can collect 20 blue orbs to destroy the giant capsule in that area, the idea is to bring each ideya orb the capsule is holding to the start of the level in order to complete it but what the game really wants you to do is to keep running laps around the stage scoring as many points as you possibly can before the timer runs out.

It's really complicated but you'll get the hang of it in time.

• 8 months later...

As someone who didn't have a Saturn when I was a kid and never played the original release, I can say that this game honestly frustrates me. The controls as NiGHTS are as loose as a Vegas hooker, and somehow, the simple goals (get 20 blue chips, touch the Ideya Capture, get to the end) seem complicated when the time limit is brought into account.

So...yeah. I, too, am not impressed.