Subscriber Spotlight - April 2012

Method

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/guides/0-subspotlight.jpg

Happy Easter x360a! This month's subscriber is also our newest staff member. He's old (or so he thinks) and has really found a calling with achievement hunting. Originating from Scotland but now residing in the land down under, I picture him as a sort of William Wallace but with a machete and crocodile skin cowboy hat. Fellow gamers I give you rekikire...

Welcome to the spotlight! Introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about yourself.

My name is Eric and I'm 43. Originally from Scotland but moved out to Australia with my family over 30 years ago. That's why you'll hear a very strange accent if you talk to me on Live.

What first brought you to x360a, and then what made you stick around and subscribe?

Google brought me to x360a. Assassins Creed was my first 360 game and I was missing a few of the collectibles. Googling found the achievement guide on the site and from then I was hooked. After being on the site for a little while I discovered the GSL competition that was going on at that time and thought I'm doing that next year. Not knowing if I would make the requirements at that time I subscribed as that was a shortcut to qualification.

How did you come up with your gamertag?

So as I've said before my name is Eric. If you go back in time to the vikings it was spelled Erik. So I used Erik as the basis of my tags over the years. The great thing about Erik is it's short, and as I found in MMOs people with short names have more friends, much easier to chat to someone with a short name than xXiI!stupidname!IiXx. The other great thing about Erik is that you can shuffle the letters around easily, Keri, Kire, Reki, Rike, Ekir etc. So my many characters were always named in this format. The two most common I used were Reki and Kire. Coming to xbox, both of those were already used so I mashed them together to get rekikire. the x360a part was added after I became a representer for the site.

Is the 360 your only current console? What others have sharpened your gaming skills over the years?

My first console was the good old Atari 2600. I got one brand new when they first came out, remember, I'm old. My next console was an Xbox 360 slim. Bit of a gap in there. I've always been a PC gamer but Red Dead Redemption intrigued me and it was never coming out on PC. So I had to buy a console, which to get 360 or PS3. Seeing I already had a gamertag with Fallout 3 PC on it the decision was already made.

What is your gaming setup?

2 x PAL 360 S 250 GB, 1 x NTSC 360 S 4 GB, 1 x NTSC-J 360 S 4 GB. All hooked up to a 60" LG 3D tv. Sound goes out through a 7.1 surround system if I want to piss off the neighbors.

When you're picking the next game to grace your console, do you go for game play or achievements first?

Bit of both, I'm a bit choosy about new games to purchase at the moment. I've got almost 150 retail and arcade game waiting to start. I buy games for game play mainly. The buy for achievements is for GSL.

Everyone has a 360 game they can't get enough of. What’s yours?

Actually once I 100% a game it's deleted from the console and the game traded in or sold. I've got so much new stuff to play I don't really go back. For me it's more genre based. I can't get enough of driving games or RPGs.

And the game that makes you scream?

The only game that made me scream was Brave A Warrior's Tale. There is a glitch about half way through that if it happens you've got to delete your save and start again. I hit that glitch 3 times before it finally let me past.

What achievement(s) are you most proud of?

Right now, Maule M-7-260C Landing Master in Microsoft Flight. There are 6 challenges of increasing difficulty, the last three are very hard.

We all know gaming goes on till the early morning. What do you eat and drink to keep the reflexes sharp all night?

I drink Coke Zero, I normally forget to eat.

You've played through a lot of games during that time. Out of all of the games you played, which was your favorite?

Just for Minty, My Horse and Me 2. It was one of the better games that I played during the GSL.

Well, there has to be a few games that you didn't like. Which ones were the worst?

The previously mentioned Brave A Warriors Tale is undoubtedly the worst game I've ever played. In addition to the glitch that destroys your game there is a platforming section further up where the game automatically moves your camera so you can't see where you're jumping to. Ask Capn Doug x360a and KillerBea107 what I was sounding like on party chat while playing this steaming pile.

Everyone has their games that they just struggle with. Which games did your head in?

The sports games have done my head in. Madden and Fifa. In Madden I can do throwing plays easily, but every time I try running plays I can't make any progress. Fifa I can't seem to score a goal. What these two franchises need is a better tutorial system, teaching new players how to play because I have no idea what I'm doing. It's so bad in Fifa if I put the controller down and don't control my team the CPU scores less goals against me than if I'm controlling my team.

Not every game with quick points are easy to complete. Are there any games that you are giving up on?

Giving up on games!!!! Heresy.

What was the last thing you purchased on the arcade? Was it worth it?

The 4 Wallace and Grommet games were the last things I purchased, I got them so that I could be number 1 in Australia for Adventure games over on TA. They were fun, even though I stuffed up and had to play through them twice. And now I'm number 1 in Australia for Adventure games.

Which game(s) are you most eagerly awaiting?

Probably Assassins Creed 3. I've got all the others complete (except for two stupid first person platforming dumb achievements that should be no part of AC)

If you were Admin of the site for a day, what would you do?!

I'm going to sound like a grumpy old man here but I'd ban all signatures on the forum. They're a waste of space needlessly making a page longer than it needs to be, and slower to load. I've got them turned off so I can't see them. Anyone else that doesn't want to see them. Go to User CP, Edit Options, then untick Show Signatures in the Visible Post Elements section.

Any closing remarks?

Glad to be here and help out on the site and I'm looking forward to the next GSL.

Edited by Method

The Scottish accent comes back more after a few drinks. It's funny people in Australia say I have a Scottish accent, people in Scotland say I have an Australian accent.

Doug it's been long enough from the trauma that I can think or talk about Brave without rolling up into a ball on the floor sobbing. It's slow but time heals all wounds.

Doug it's been long enough from the trauma that I can think or talk about Brave without rolling up into a ball on the floor sobbing. It's slow but time heals all wounds.

Well, they say that's the first step on the road to recovery.

Anyway, Great Interview! It's always fascinating to find out more about our fellow forum members.

Good interview Rekikire, don't worry, i'm shit at FIFA too.

Oh and thanks for setting up those NFS Carbon boosting sessions for the Beat a Moderator achievement in May and June. You're helping a lot of people out, including me and i'm very grateful :)

Edited by xI WARFARE

good read its good to be able to get to know people you see on forums and as for being old im 40 and im sticking to the saying "life begins at 40".i too had a atari 2600 with the posh wooden finish.we had it good in the old days lol