Alpha Protocol needs 100+ hours

KFZ Scrubs

http://www.ps3attitude.com/new/2009/08/gc09-alpha-protocol-100-hours/

http://www.ps3attitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Sega_Screenshots_17948AP_Screenshot_20090803_15.jpg

EGA gave PS3 Attitude a preview of Alpha Protocol, their forthcoming ‘espionage RPG’, this morning at Gamescom in Cologne.

The first thing that impresses in this espionage RPG is the level of customisation, combined with a slick graphical style that screams of your favourite spy movies.

But what surprised us is the depth of the game and the amount of time you’ll need to find everything it offers.

How you load your character out determines how you play through that mission. If you choose gadgets and weapons that require stealth, you are required to play through the mission without being detected. Load up with guns and grenades, and you can cause merry havoc.

There are also several factions within the game and a range of different people you can align with to ensure your experience of Alpha Protocol is different from other people. You won’t be able to complete every single mission in one play-through (which will take you around 30 hours), so if you want to play everything you are going to need around 100 hours of spare time.

We were treated to a preview of a stealth mission. The third person view suits the game well, and when you’re playing you can use a number of special attacks to ensure you stay undetected. We saw a ‘cloaking’ mode that allows you to pass silently (in reality, this is a representation of your stealth skill rather than an MGS-style suit) and the ability to pause time in order to line up a volley of shots using your silenced weapon (again, a representation of your sniping skill).

After a short cut-scene, we were treated to a fire-fight where we witnessed the ‘overclock’ skill, which lets you ramp up the power of your weapons and items for better effect. In fact, the only time the realism we’ve seen everywhere else in the game is broken is within these ‘boss battles’. The enemy was shot so many times at point-blank range using a shotgun without dying that it became almost comedic.

Once the boss was beaten, the game gave us a moral dilemma – let them live, or finish them off. By leaving the character alive in this case, the game offered a special perk and the story took a different turn than it would if we had killed the boss off. In fact there are many paths that can be taken in the game based on the various decisions you make, and each decision increases or decreases your reputation with key characters, further changing the story as it progresses.

We asked Andy Alamano, Associate Producer for Alpha Protocol, what his three favourite gadgets were.

“First of all, I love the Sound Generator. You can target a position on the map and it will make a sound at that point, making AI characters go to that point for mass extermination or just to bypass the enemy. Scondly, I love the Incediary Grenade; it creates a ball of flame, and useful to throw in when using the sound generator! Lastly, I’d pick the Shock Trap – a proximity mine that can be attached to a wall to stealthily take the enemy down”

Other than the small issue of the unrealistic boss battle, Alpha Protocol is shaping up to be a really impressive game, with a huge range of special abilities, weapons and gadgets that would make even James Bond jealous. Alpha Protocol is due in October.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The 100 hours thing is if you want to do ALL the side missions and stuff, at least thats what it says in the article. It also says the main questline is only 30 hours, which is about the same as Mass Effect. Im assuming the 100 hours requires multiple playthroughs, so you would have to be a "good" guy one time and a "bad" guy the next and so on.

I'm happy with 100+ hours, considering I put about that in 1 playthrough on Fallout 3, and am currently at 73hrs on Borderlands (not yet Level 61, and still plenty of missions on playthrough 2 to do).

I like the prospect of playing through twice, once as a good guy, the other as a bad guy, I like seeing all possible outcomes, and with the amount of choices/decisions in this game, i'm really looking forward to it.

Just hope I have enough money seeing as my new job starts at the beginning of May X-D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Not really, especially for a good RPG. It is only a little over four days, and if you play any multi player games for fun, 4 days is nothing. It just seems like a lot.

OMG :eek: That's not RPG game !!! Alpha Protocol is a TPP shooter with elements of RPG just like Mass Effect 2 !!!

Alpha Protocol is a mix of Mass effect 2 (elements of RPG) and Splinter Cell (game mechanic) and is really worse then both of two games above.

You want to play RPG? Play Baldur's Gate II lol! And yeah these 100h ara also bullshit, check achievements list.

hate to be this guy but it's really not 100hours.. i played it trough in.. i think 9hours each.. i played it twice now. no real need for money either, the game is very easy i hardly upgraded anything. but then again, i play like a rusher.

dont care about story that much, i RAN away from 70% of all the enemies in the game (when you get to checkpoint there is progress movie and the enemies are gone).

My first playthrough was around 16 hours. That was making sure I found everything on every level and a lot of reloading as Bosses killed me loads of times.

There is a lot of replayability, but the main game isn't that long.

To compare, my first playthrough of Dragon Age was 80+ hours and Mass Effect 2 was around 45.

Crikey almighty! How did it take you 80+ hours to finish Dragon Age, I did a vast majority of the side quests AND read all the dialogue and did it in 32 hours.

Did absolutely everything, spoke to my companions constantly, read every single codex entry, you get the idea.

I also just took my time. I do in every game I play. That's why I was surprised when I finished AP after 16 odd hours. The way I play, it should have taken longer.