Fallout 3 will have over 200 endings

DreadfulCorpse

Quote:

Okay, I've played games with two, four, even six or eight endings. That's fine, it's kind of fun to see them all, especially the "easter egg" endings like in Silent Hill where the UFO comes. There comes a point where enough is enough though...right?

Bethesda's Todd Howard recently did the official Xbox podcast and talked about Fallout 3, and revealed somenew tidbits, including the boggling new number of endings available. The highlights list:

-”Fans sending death threats” says one of the OXM guys. Another one calls Fallout fans”rabid Right Wing kind of fans”.

-Over 200 endings, since last week. The 12 endings was surpassed sometime ago.

-The game is twice bigger than what they thought in the beginning.

-Always just one humanoid-type companion, and another NPC like Dogmeat.

-Dogmeat can die, but they are working on his health and how you maintain him.

- Dogmeat can be given assignments, and will try to follow them with his Radiant AI.

-Brotherhood of Steel doing their own thing; already in finished state on the game; they are on the verge of extinction, you’ll interact with them a lot more after a determined point in the game.

-The game is finished, but needs a lot more polishing and testing, they are doing many playthroughs; they keep adding stuff, sometimes it takes 100 hours to play, just the main quest takes about 20 hours.

-Absolutely tracking at fall 2008.

Two hundred endings. See, I love me some Fallout, but this is the kind of sh*t that gives gamers a bad name. Of course, I applaud the creativity and time it must take to create two hundred endings to a game, but you know hardcore Fallout fans are going to try to get as many of those endings as they can, which means no life outside of playing the game and maybe going to a day job if you don't quit the damn thing so you can have more time to play Fallout.

What's your input - are hundreds of endings too daunting a goal to consider meeting, or merely a fantastic challenge worth bellying up to the bar for?

Fallout 3 will have over 200 endings, you will never have a life again. Destructoid offers reviews, previews, trailers, cheats, and more.

Loads of endings is nothing but a good thing for me. If it's anything like the original i'll still be playing it 5 years from now, not for the different endings but because it's the only real "open" game in town.

The second had loads of endings too didn't it? Not 200 but two or so different endings for each town/faction etc.

If they do it like how the previous games did it then yes, 200 endings sounds about right. Like highpass said, the endings used to consist of an explanation of what happened in all the towns you visited, with this changing depending on what quests you did and how you solved them. This effectively gave each playthrough like 20 "different" endings.

I think this is what they mean, not necessarily 200 traditional endings where there's only 1 resolution. So if there's a lot more towns and quests and if they follow the same template I can see there being around 30-40 resolutions per playthrough and with these having different choices along the way.

But if they do mean one ending per playthrough then I think they're just wasting their time, personally I would only try getting 5 at the most, and I consider myself to be a fallout fan. The average person, who will form the bulk of the purchasers, will probably would only go for 1 or 2 at the most and all the time and resources spent doing all 199+ endings will have gone to waste.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i think thats awesome, im not that big of a fallout fan, ive never played any of them, but this one looks amazing,and i will probly play at least two, one very good, one very bad (good vs evil type stuff) and then one where i try to mix it maybe??? im not sure

I'm wondering if all these "unique" endings are actually just mix and match endings similar to what Marvel: Ultimate Alliance had. In that game you had 10 or so choices to make during the game and, depending on what you did, the ending had a little blurb about how that affected things. Technically, if you played the game, then played it again and did just one thing differently...they could call it a "unique" ending. It wouldn't be hard to add up to 200 "unique" endings then, even if there are only 20 or so cutscenes or whatever and the 200 comes from just mixing and matching them.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't the point of multiple endings (like in the hundreds) not to act as a goal for people to reach, but so everyone's play through is more personal? So it kinda feels like your game? (or some other well- strung advertisement phrase).

• 1 month later...
...The average person, who will form the bulk of the purchasers, will probably would only go for 1 or 2 at the most and all the time and resources spent doing all 199+ endings will have gone to waste.

Not a waste. It means each player makes different decisions that have a more real impact on the world. Sure, *you* might not get to see every ending, but they will all be seen by someone.