Problems using Romanies, Thieves & Mercenaries

So when I go to use the Romanies, Thieves and mercenaries on guards, 98% of the time I don't have the option to...It will not let me target the guards and :bbut: simply causes the group to follow me/stop following. I believe this is a bug because when I call in my assassins or air assassinate a target, my "target" doesn't even become highlighted and my assassins simply attack the guards that I am looking at (i.e. center of the screen). Now I am either overlooking something painfully obvious here or is this a bug that other people are experiencing? It is getting frustrating because I can't complete the faction challenges with this problem.

I had a similar problem (I think) yesterday. For some reason all of my :bbut: prompts went away (e.g. it wouldn't say when I could loot/grab/etc). It didn't bother me because I could still use them, until I tried to use a thief group. I could target them and Ezio would wave his hand, but they wouldn't do anything.

I fixed it by just quitting to the main menu (if you're worried about saving just go in and out of a building or open a chest or something) and when I came back it was all back to normal.

• 2 weeks later...
I had a similar problem (I think) yesterday. For some reason all of my :bbut: prompts went away (e.g. it wouldn't say when I could loot/grab/etc). It didn't bother me because I could still use them, until I tried to use a thief group. I could target them and Ezio would wave his hand, but they wouldn't do anything.

I fixed it by just quitting to the main menu (if you're worried about saving just go in and out of a building or open a chest or something) and when I came back it was all back to normal.

Tried this and it still doesnt highlight the guards. im stuck on a mission for this

This may be a silly question but you are doing the following right?:

Walking close enough to a guard that they become highlighted and then pressing the left trigger to target them (which causes their health to appear over their head)

And then pressing B to use the factions.

Thanks mate, too much pineapple express!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... the answer given is STUPIDLY unclear!

If you are having trouble getting the "lock-on" to work... it's because you are "squeezing" the left trigger. DON'T DO THAT! Just "tap" the left trigger and you will be amazed how easily you get the lock (and then the prompt for pressing the "B" button will show-up).

This will solve the problem you are having with getting the lock-on function to work; whether it be for assigning a faction action (hey... I made a rhyme), or for one of your own attacks.

EDIT: Just to clarify about "tapping" vs "squeezing" - it's that you need to pull the

trigger FAST (and release it just as quickly)! If you do it slowly, it becomes more hit-and-miss, whether the lock-on will engage or not. For some reason, it didn't seem to matter on Mercenaries, as it always seemed to lock-on for them (perhaps they're just eager to fight)!

Edited by Restricted-Access

If I remember right you need to be on flat ground be able to see the target clearly with very little view obstruction.

I assume people are having the most trouble with this on the mission where your supposed to lure out the rich guy for the Thieves guild before killing him. I had trouble with this too because I was always on the ledge above him. Up there it would let me lock on to him for whatever reason. However, after I went down and looked in through the doorway I could lock onto him and lure him out.

I'm just assuming it was because there was a ledge partially in the way or I might have been too far away, idk, but looking through the door down by him worked. Hope this helps

• 3 months later...

If you are having trouble getting the "lock-on" to work... it's because you are "squeezing" the left trigger. DON'T DO THAT! Just "tap" the left trigger and you will be amazed how easily you get the lock (and then the prompt for pressing the "B" button will show-up).

FANTASTIC! I don't recall if it was the same in the other games. I guess its because of all the other stuff that you have to hold the button down for, like aiming, guarding, and "fighting in the shade."

• 2 years later...

This will solve the problem you are having with getting the lock-on function to work; whether it be for assigning a faction action (hey... I made a rhyme), or for one of your own attacks.

EDIT: Just to clarify about "tapping" vs "squeezing" - it's that you need to pull the

trigger FAST (and release it just as quickly)! If you do it slowly, it becomes more hit-and-miss, whether the lock-on will engage or not. For some reason, it didn't seem to matter on Mercenaries, as it always seemed to lock-on for them (perhaps they're just eager to fight)!

You my friend are a genius!! I know this is from 2011, but I've just gone back to the game to pick up some achievements and have been trying to get those dam factions to get the guards for hours!! The trick is in the tap! Not holding it down! :))))) thank you thank you thank you!

• 1 month later...