Problems triggering a den defence.

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find it. I'm not keen on the den defence and ever since the one you are forced to do in the main story missions, I've done my best to avoid them. Recently , though I've noticed that there's an achievement based on them, plus successfully doing 3 of them is amongst the assassin guild challenges. So I've been deliberately trying to trigger one. Unfortunately, I've taken over all 6 Templar dens, but I only have one master assassin, so only one of my dens is locked. But, no matter how much carnage I cause, I can't trigger one!! There are no more red Templar dots on the map, so I've been killing the ottomans instead(the yellow dots). Does this still work and trigger a den defence or have I messed it up and missed my chance?! I hope not! Is there any other way to trigger one, once you've taken them all over. Thanks for any help.

i tried the same thing of pretty much killing every guard i see in hopes they'd attack, but after i wasted hours doing that with little luck i read on hear 2 things, first off you can replay the scripted defence in the DNA whenever you want which is the easy way to get the no cannon achievment, an added bonus is doing it 3 times will also complete the assassin mission to defend 3 times. but with that said i've also heard that if you lock all 7 dens with a master that the 3 defence misson auto completes for you, i didn't do it that way so i can't confirm, but seems a few people have had success with it

i've also heard that if you lock all 7 dens with a master that the 3 defence misson auto completes for you, i didn't do it that way so i can't confirm, but seems a few people have had success with it

That is true. I only did 2 den defense missions. Then locked down all my dens with master assassins and a message popped up on my screen saying I completed that part of the assassin challenge.

That is true. I only did 2 den defense missions. Then locked down all my dens with master assassins and a message popped up on my screen saying I completed that part of the assassin challenge.

I can also confirm that it works. The only den defense I did was the story-related one. As soon as I got all 7 of the dens locked down, I got the faction achievement (I had already completed all the other requirements).

first off you can replay the scripted defence in the DNA whenever you want which is the easy way to get the no cannon achievment, an added bonus is doing it 3 times will also complete the assassin mission to defend 3 times. but with that said i've also heard that if you lock all 7 dens with a master that the 3 defence misson auto completes for you, i didn't do it that way so i can't confirm, but seems a few people have had success with it

Thanks for all the responses. I Can't believe I didn't think of replaying the story mission for the no cannon achievement. It's also good to know that the game does't penalise you for not doing the 3 den defences. I think I'll just wait until I've got 6 master assassins to fulfil the guild challenge. I just can't get on with the den defence thing. Not my thing, tower defence/strategy games.

• 4 months later...

I've had this game for just over 2 weeks now and just completed it, but never had a den defence once apart from the one at the begin during the story. What was the point putting them in if they don't happen? How are they suppose to be triggered? I've taken over all of them but only have 3 master assassins so far.

• 4 weeks later...
first off you can replay the scripted defence in the DNA whenever you want which is the easy way to get the no cannon achievment.

Thanks for this! Been looking everywhere for an answer to my question about that achievement but didn't want to make a new thread. :) I only have this a couple more achievements for the 1K so assuming this does work you've saved me some time, thanks!

Sorry for being OT... :(

• 1 year later...

If you actually want to trigger a den defense w/o replaying the "training" memory (maybe you want the upgraded units only available from normal play, or to play the different den maps- after all once they're locked, they're locked for good), get your notoriety meter to full first (obviously); the fastest way would be to just kill a Templar courier or stand around and go afk essentially, letting the Templar assassins stab you and run away.

When you're full (you can also use this trick to raise the meter to full in the first place) go to Fatih Camii or the Janissary Camp just to the NE of Fatih Camii (optionally this can be done at Topkapi Palace with all the Janissary in the courtyard). Just entering the Camii or the camp through the front way(s) (entering the Camii/camp via climbing the walls won't piss off the Janissary/etc. inside) will bring immediate agro. Round up every foe you can in a tight a cluster as possible. Then, either use an arrow storm or bombs to kill the cluster. This should get you about a 33% increase towards a full meter.

Use the nearby quick-travel location to leave and come back and do it all over again. Estimate doing this about 6 times or so (enough to fill the meter again 2-3 times) and a den defense should trigger assuming not all of them are locked. Watch killing the Templar assassins or the officials as this seems to reset all your progress and you will need to bring the meter to full again (even though the meter stays red after reaching full, you can vaguely see the reduction if you look closely since a portion will no longer flash).

If you can keep a den defense open (without completing it) and round up the Templars, than killing them is worth more than killing Ottomans. Using bombs is also supposed to give even more % to the kills, but arrow storms are faster and the enemies are easily reset using a quick-travel.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm confused about a similar topic...my Templar Awareness Meter was full, and I got a notification - "Templars have attacked one of your dens." Not two seconds later, I got another one - "Your Templar Awareness is now Secret", and the den they attacked is now "Locked". What the hell is going on?

• 8 months later...