The Walking Dead

Tussell

So, I searched, and actually found a thread relating to this, however, it died nearly two years ago, which means that there's no comparison back and forth to the comics and the television show, and there have been releases in both mediums since.

I just recently got into them on my ride home from Florida over the past weekend. I bought the first two paperback volumes, and now bought 3-5 and 8. So far, I've only gotten through the first two, and have only seen episodes 1, 5, and 6 of the first season.

So far, I'm way more interested in the comics than I am the television show, but I need to finish the comics before I dive deeper into the show.

What is everyone else's opinions on the comics? I personally like the pacing, the story, and the events that take place in the comic more than I do the show.

The comics I felt were more in-depth and more interesting. I mean everything is different when you go digital but I would say the comic does it more justice.

Although I do believe that the T.V. shows portrays emotions a little bit better and especially the relationships it forms on the screen. Either way they are both really enjoyable and I am excited for the next season.

The comics are definitely the way it was meant to be delivered to your brain. The show is equally as awesome, though you will find it deviates from the comics. It is sad that the show is "censored" in comparison to the comics (i.e. vulgar language).

Regardless, I am a huge fan of the Zombie genre.....and both are excellent mediums (show/comic) in their delivery.

The comics are way better than the show, which is great in it's own right, but it can never live up to the visceral nature of the books.

The last page of issue 48 is one reason the show will never have the emotional impact of the books. I stared at that page for like 5 minutes, even going back to make sure it was who I thought it was because of the similarities between the characters in black and white. Gut wrenching.

Honestly, the first 30-some issues are really excellent (especially 1-6, but don't hold out hope for Tony Moore ever coming back to do the art) but it really runs off the rails right around issues 48-50.

Kirkman writes himself into a corner (that he wouldn't have done if he were a deeper, more thoughtful writer) and makes some really poor decisions just to try and get an emotional reaction out of the readers. He wanted to "shake things up" and did it in a very ham-fisted fashion. If you've read 48-50, you might know what I'm referring to, if you haven't, I don't wanna spoil anything.

I stopped buying the comic around #50 (looking forward to selling my 1st prints at SDCC for gobs of cash) but have read the series all the way to the current issue, #99. And I'm sorry, but Kirkman just seems to write himself into ruts and then lashes out at the characters to manufacture some drama. It gets a little old...

I don't want to spoil anything for new readers, but if you wanna know some of the stupid shit Kirkman has in store for you past issue 50, send me a PM... ;)

Honestly, the first 30-some issues are really excellent (especially 1-6, but don't hold out hope for Tony Moore ever coming back to do the art) but it really runs off the rails right around issues 48-50.

THIS made me so sad. Tony Moore > Charlie Adlard ALL day.

Tony Moore's art REALLY helped develop the story and emotions... Now we're forced to look at mediocre drawings with black backdrops. :mad:

I enjoy the books more but I read the books long before the show came out. It kid of makes me more partial to the comics. Most people I talk to still don't have an idea there are books. Like the others said the comics are in-depth and have some pretty interesting characters that the show probably isn't going to use.

The only thing the show has on the comic books is Darryl. (I swear I saw that Kirkman was going to work him in eventually)

I definitely agree with Jack Frost on where the comics went downhill. I haven't read the last few issues because I've gotten really bored with the series. It just isn't enjoyable anymore. I also agree with whoever said the show portrays emotions much better. The art is slightly at fault here - I hate the art, but I'm not going to start ranting about how much I love Tony Moore - and probably the fact that we can see how people animate their emotions in the show.

I like how the show is like an alternate universe and ultimately enjoy the show more. I hope what happens around issue 45 or whenever it was doesn't happen in the show. When I read that part Jack Frost is talking about I just set the book down for a while shaking my head.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone read issue 100 spoilers

[spoiler=spoiler]Damn done killed Glen. Pretty much if they kill Michonne then they won't have any characters left that I give two shits about. Well until they bring Daryl into the comics but we'll see how they write him. Also killed the only newer character that I liked Abraham just a few issues before and now this.

• 4 weeks later...