New system for 2013?

Cmpunk

NOT a 720 Thread! No fear, we get enough of those already.

Well basically I just need some tips from xbox vets on opinions on my system and if I should get a new system for early 2013.

My system red ringed for thirty seconds today and it froze during an online game (doesn't happen often but still does rarely). My disc tray often gets stuck without a game inside, but has never gotten stuck WITH a game inside. Are these signs my system is dying? While I have money should I get a new 360 system or tough it out until it gets worse? Thanks.

My system red ringed for thirty seconds today and it froze during an online game (doesn't happen often but still does rarely). My disc tray often gets stuck without a game inside, but has never gotten stuck WITH a game inside. Are these signs my system is dying? While I have money should I get a new 360 system or tough it out until it gets worse? Thanks.

I would do neither actually. Take your system that is causing you fits and trade it in to Game Stop. Get store credit.

Wait a day or so, or go to a different Game Stop and get a different Xbox. ;) You're not out all the cash a new one would take and you have a 30 day window if anything goes wrong with it, unless you get the year warranty and that should get you to the time the new Xbox comes out if rumors are to be believed.

Sad, but it happens to all of us eventually. i recommend putting all your important stuff on a flash drive, it'll make your transition to a new console much easier. :)

i'd get a new console as soon as your current one powers up for the last time. -hint- unless you wanna have a fat guy break into your house and put one under a tree -hint- that or you can play on a friend's console until you get a new one. or do what Wildmn34 said.

I've been grinding mine out for a year, not sure how much mine has left in the tank. It's mainly disc reading issues. Some games will be perfectly fine, some games it will read after ejecting the disc tray and putting it back in.

Today for instance, I got my copy of Lost Odyssey through the post that I ordered from amazon because I had thought my copy was worn out and seemed to crash and freeze during this certain loading point. It wasn't necessary to go through to this room I wanted but doing so would of helped me alot.

So yeah, stuck in my newly arrived copy and had the same thing happening. I was worried at first because It would of stopped me from reaching full 100% in the game. The game has 4 discs, for some odd reason I can't go through this room on disc 2, decided to load up the save on my other gamertag and stuck in disc 4. Worked fine.

Strange thing is, both discs I encountered the same problem with are in good condition, then I thought about another game I ordered months back that wouldn't load and games that I have to keep ejecting and sticking the tray back in to work. I've had my xbox for years, on it's last legs and don't want to buy another due to not having enough spare money.

I'd say ride it out and if you feel it's getting worse and it's irritating you, just do what you can to gather enough money. I'd say your best bet would be to get a pre-owned console.

NOT a 720 Thread! No fear, we get enough of those already.

Well basically I just need some tips from xbox vets on opinions on my system and if I should get a new system for early 2013.

I would say stick it out for the moment unless you are really worried and want to play it safe.

I play on a 50 month old overused and abused 60GB Falcon (how it is still going after all this time I shall never know. The top of my Xbox is covered in dust, dirt, hair, crumbs and coffee stains) and it has given me the odd couple of scares over time.

It has never RRoD'ed on me but like yours it has frozen up on me a few times worrying the crap out of me and few months ago whilst playing Forza 4 the sound completely went.

Edited by ILOVEBAY0n37T4

Mine has the same disc tray problems, but it's not red ringed at all yet and pretty much never freezes. I'd say trade it in and get another rather than stick it out. The tray I can deal with, but if mine started red ringing I'd be looking at replacing/repairing it. Repairing might be cheaper than a new one btw, I've done an RROD console for a mate and it's a piece of piss. Cost me bugger all for the kit and instructions, took a couple of hours of time (1st time, could be done in about an hour-ish) and works fine. New disc drive can't cost too much either.

Open up the Xbox, use compressed air on the motherboard to clear it. The freezes could relate to the xboxs HDD failing or due to the CPU/GPU overheating. Which can be fixed by clearing dust. The CD drive is simple gear mechanics, if you aren't afraid to open up a cd drive look around on the internet on how to fix the gears.

I'd get a new one if I were you, I wouldn't want to risk something happening to all my data or a disc getting stuck in the tray.

My disc tray sometimes fails to open and I have to wedge a knife in the gap to open it and it continuously freezes or won't install games to the HD. I'm currently saving up to get a new one, so yeah, do the same!

I would do neither actually. Take your system that is causing you fits and trade it in to Game Stop. Get store credit.

Wait a day or so, or go to a different Game Stop and get a different Xbox. ;) You're not out all the cash a new one would take and you have a 30 day window if anything goes wrong with it, unless you get the year warranty and that should get you to the time the new Xbox comes out if rumors are to be believed.

I did just this....

My old pro started having disc read issues....not all the time, but every once in a while. So I took it to gamestop, crossed my fingers and it worked when he checked it out. Also my controller's anolog stick would get stuck in the up position sometimes. That worked as well. They had a $30 bonus for trading in an xbox and I just upgraded right then and there to the slim with no questions asked. The slim came with Skyrim and Forza 4 so I sold both of those for $50. I also got to keep my old HD and sell that too for $40.