DLP #5 Information

Lucent Beam

Here's a compilation of the fifth paid downloadable patch for Defiance:

EGO Rating Cap Increased and New Perks Added

While you’ve been hunting and modding the finest extraterrestrial equipment arkfalls can provide, your EGO has been working on upgrades of its own. Arktech Revolution introduces an increased EGO rating cap to reach along with new powerful perks on the EGO grid and a higher EGO unit cap to claim them. We’re just getting started, read on to learn how EGO is changing in other ways!

EGO Rating Progression and New Enemy Difficulty Tiers

EGO rating is about to mean more than ever before. For ark hunters, a higher EGO rating will now impart a much larger effect on damage, health, and shield capacity. Similarly, the damage output of weapons will now scale based on their power rating. Got your very favorite gun already modded with epics? We’ll also be adding a new Salvage Matrix function that can increase a weapon’s power rating!

You pay for EVERY 100 EGO LEVELS.

Not to be outdone, enemies will now be more difficult to match players’ new DPS potential. In addition to the difference between standard and elite enemies being more pronounced, new enemy difficulty tiers featuring enhanced abilities and updated designs will be introduced. Ark hunters aren’t the only ones who have been benefiting from arkfalls! (Did we mention they drop better loot too? Because they do.)

Expert Co-Op Maps and Dynamic Event Scaling

With all-new levels of raw power at your disposal, team up with your fellow ark hunters to tackle new expert versions of all co-op maps featuring the new enemy difficulty tiers! Defeating these challenging instances will not only reward you boasting rights but also new special tokens that can be spent to purchase legendary weapons and mods directly from certain vendors.

Looking to mentor your lower-level friends returning to Defiance to sample the changes in Arktech Revolution? We got you (and them) covered! Events will now dynamically adjust their difficulty based on the players participating in or joining them. Enemies will not only adjust their levels and quantity but their difficulty tier as well with upgraded enemies changing how they look for easier identification. Low EGO rating players will be able to stand in fights with these high-level foes by means of a special temporary buff.

Damage Type Overhaul and Armor Plates

We’re not done yet, wasteland warriors! Prepare to theorycraft because your equipment loadouts just got a little more complex. Defiance’s weapons damage types are getting a major overhaul to increase their impact on gameplay.

• Incendiary: Deals increased damage to health and less to shields.
  • Electric: Deals increased damage to shields and less to health.
  • Syphon: Steals some health from shield damage and lots from health damage.
  • Radiation: Deals a percentage of damage directly, bypassing armor plates.
  • Bio: Deals increased damage to armor plates.

Wait, what are armor plates? We’re glad you asked! Armor is a new damage-mitigating buff granted passively by shield equipment and temporarily by perks, stims, or spikes. Unlike shields, armor does not regenerate when excessive damage breaks it but it can be repaired at extraction points. While temporary armor does not stack and expires with the effect that granted it, it does stack with passive armor. This is good news because you’re going to need both sources to take on your new enemies.

Universal Grenade, Spike, and Stim Charges

Last but not least, when we said we weren’t done tweaking how grenades, spikes, and stims behaved, we meant it! As of Arktech Revolution, enemies will drop universal consumables (called “charges”) of each type that refill one use of the specificied item type in your current loadout. Can’t carry any more of that item? Don’t fret: you’ll automatically salvage any excess charges upon picking it up.

You Say You Want a Revolution?

We’ve only scratched the surface of this game-changing update! Technical Design Director Peter Ju and Creative Lead Trick Dempsey will be expanding the individual changes revealed here over the course of the next few weeks. Meanwhile, we’re very eager to hear your constructive (even if critical) feedback on the forums about what’s been announced! The Arktech Revolution begins in Defiance on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 this April.

“Make the numbers go up!”

Until now, the only things that increased with EGO rating were the value of shields and, to a lesser extent, player health. Weapons, enemies, and grenades were completely unaffected by EGO or power rating. Aside from the addition of a common rarity bonus, high-rating weapons were no different from low-rating weapons. This could make collecting weapons unsatisfying, as new weapons often did not compare favorably to old ones. The chase was limited to rarity alone, or for the very hardcore, the chase of specific rarity and mastery bonuses. While exciting in its own way, this limited the joy of the hunt.

http://community.defiance.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/scaling_comparison.jpg

“We’re going to need a bigger boat.”

Making players more powerful meant that we needed to make enemies bigger and badder, too – and not in name only. No one wants to rely on the UI to tell them that something awful is coming. With Arkfall Revolution you’ll see them coming, with a host of new (larger, tougher) enemies built to go toe-to-toe with the best ark hunters and deadliest groups.

Additionally, enemies need to be able to mitigate some of the advances in player skill by employing new tactics. The minigunner mutant, for example, might develop a propensity for rushing players in melee, drastically altering your strategies for dealing with it.

“But I want to play in the sandbox!”

Many of you will notice a problem with the plan above: if all of the enemies have been made deadlier, how are new players supposed to catch up? What if I want to play with my high-level friends?

Ladies and gentlemen of the New Frontier, I’d like to introduce you to Dynamic Scaling and EGO boosting.

Using the power of math, we’re creating an event “Threat Level” that scales content based on the number of participating players and their combined EGO rating. This Threat Level does two things: it changes the number and type of enemies that spawn, and boosts the minimum rating of all participants in an event (a boost that affects players and enemies alike). This may not make you equal to the content if you have a low EGO rating, but it will keep you from being wiped out by top-tier opponents.

Dynamic scaling is something we’ve been working on for a long time. You may have caught hints of it in some unusual UI issues with the display of EGO ratings when Gunslinger launched, or in the recent addition of a seemingly meaningless Threat Level to certain events. There are two reasons we’ve held onto it for so long: We want to get it right, and we want to make certain it is adjustable. Scaling is dangerous in any game, and a number of other open-world games have handled it poorly (which results in the lack of a feeling of progression. (“Why the hell do all these roadside bandits suddenly have magic armor or … tanks?”)

We took the time not only to assure that the upgraded enemies provided a rewarding experience, but also to be sure that we can alter the scaling rules as we gather more data from player experiences.

“Well, I seem to have a lot of old, low-rating stuff.”

Ark hunters who find themselves with legendary weapons they’ve been holding onto since the early game will not be left out in the cold. Arkforge, a new currency available from lock boxes and events, can be used to increase a weapon or shield’s power rating, so you can level up your favorite gear. Arkforge Caches can also be purchased from the store in the following quantities:

• 50 Arkforge Cache – 200 Bits
  • 300 Arkforge Cache – 1200 Bits
  • 500 Arkforge Cache – 1600 Bits

You’ll get 1,000 Arkforge as part of the Chimera Arktech Kit that comes with the purchase of Arktech Revolution, along with a special outfit, title, new Chimera contracts and vendor, pursuits, perks, and more. Arkforge will also expand to have new uses in the future, such as rerolling weapon masteries.

We’ll have more updates coming soon as the Arktech Revolution nears. Keep your eyes peeled for upcoming updates about the opening of our alpha servers, more game mechanic updates, and fifth DLC release date!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More disappointing information about stuff here:

Defiance Arktech Revolution Community Q&A Hello ark hunters,

The team has been reviewing your questions over the past few weeks and is working to answer as many of them as they can between getting Arktech Revolution ready for launch. Also, I'd like to personally apologize for the delay in getting this information up on the forums. We'll be adding to this thread as more questions are answered.

What is the paid portion of the Arktech Revolution DLC going to entail?

Owners of the Arktech Revolution DLC will receive:

• One Chimera Arktech Kit containing:

◦ 1000 Arkforge.

◦ The "Arktech Revolutionary" title.

◦ The "Chimera Ark Hunter" outfit.

• Access to the Chimera daily contracts which reward Caeruleum Cores for completing expert tier co-op maps.

◦ Caeruleum Cores can be acquired in lesser numbers from weekly Paradise contracts.

• Access to the Chimera vendor offering:

◦ A unique line of legendary weapons and legendary mods purchased using Caeruleum Cores.

• The Chimera mod synergy.

• Six new pursuits offering unique titles and EGO rating increases that reward three pieces of legendary equipment:

◦ The Chimera Claw (shield).

◦ The Chimera Horn (rocket launcher).

◦ The Chimera Fang (charge blade).

• Access to fifteen new perks:

◦ Conflagration: Increases damage to health from your incendiary attacks.

◦ Flash Point: Increases damage to shields from your incendiary attacks.

◦ Heat Shield: Reduces incoming damage from incendiary attacks.

◦ Corrosion: Increases damage to armor from your bio attacks.

◦ Virulent: Increases armor penetration from your bio attacks.

◦ Immunized: Reduces incoming damage from bio attacks.

◦ Bloodsucker: Increases health and shield damage stolen from your syphon attacks.

◦ Deadly Apparition: Increases damage from your syphon attacks.

◦ Strong Soul: Reduces incoming damage from syphon attacks.

◦ Live Wire: Increases damage to shields from your electric attacks.

◦ Electrical Fire: Increases damage to health from your electric attacks.

◦ Grounded: Reduces incoming damage from electric attacks.

◦ Gamma Rays: Increases armor penetration from your radiation attacks.

◦ Radiation Burns: Increases damage from your radiation attacks.

◦ Lead Lined: Reduces incoming damage from radiation attacks.

Will the new DLC let us upgrade power ratings of weapons or just permit us to up their damage the higher ego the player becomes?

You will be able to use a new resource, Arkforge, to raise the power rating of weapons. Increasing the power rating will raise the rating of the weapon 100 units at a time, and the Arkforge cost of this process is determined by the rarity of the weapon.

Will we be able to level up our shields in much the same way we can weapons, that is, the new ability to level guns to our EGO?

Yes, you'll be able to raise the power rating of shields in the same way you do for weapons using Arkforge.

Worse news:

Per 100 Power Rating Increase

Common: 2 Arkforge

Uncommon: 4 Arkforge

Rare: 10 Arkforge

Epic: 20 Arkforge

Legendary: 50 Arkforge

Response from community member:

For those interested in leveling their orange EGO 1000 gun to 5000+, here's what it's going to cost you.

4000 EGO levels = 2000 Arkforge = 4x 500 caches * 1600 bits = 6400 bits = ~$60 (5200 bits is $50 - at the cheapest).

And yes, again, that is per gun

That currency better be easy as hell to farm.

Looking at all of that gibberish I can only assume the achievements will be one of a few things:

1. Reaching the ludicrous new EGO cap (please NOT this)

2. Completing all of the new pursuits (likely)

3. Completing the new EXTREME co-op maps (probably tied into the above)

4. Getting enough of the new Chimera contracts complete to be max level

As long as it's not the first one I'll be fine doing EXACTLY the same tasks we have done for every other DLC. The innovation, it blinds me.

Looking at the pursuit for all the kills, are those the top tier version of each of those enemies? I hope so, cause don't they scale up based on our ego now? Would be a pain to not be able to encounter the correct kind because of ego being to high, or some one with a higher ego comes along and causes the one you are fighting to scale higher and it no longer counts.

Just looked at the list again after reading your post, it actually doesn't include any of the major arkfall only bosses. The Hellbug Monarch CAN be the boss of the hellbug arkfall, but she's also the boss of the Lost Island co-op map. So I would assume it would be much easier to repeatedly run it and keep killing her apex level. I hope this doesn't require 5000 ego to spawn, cause I'm not even 4k yet *fingers crossed*

Just looked at the list again after reading your post, it actually doesn't include any of the major arkfall only bosses. The Hellbug Monarch CAN be the boss of the hellbug arkfall, but she's also the boss of the Lost Island co-op map. So I would assume it would be much easier to repeatedly run it and keep killing her apex level. I hope this doesn't require 5000 ego to spawn, cause I'm not even 4k yet *fingers crossed*

Just rechecked it, nice catch. I saw the hellbug matron and just immediately facepalmed. But yeah I guess that means 25 playthroughs of that co op map with a group of friends, at least one of whom *might* need to be Ego 5000. Let's hope not lol.

Edited by lifeexpectancy

That's a MATRON, you guys. Monarchs are all over the map in emergencies and spawn in Diablos.....

If there is an achievement for this pursuit, it is 10 weeks of playing every day....

Chimera Tier II Reputation

10 Caeruleum Cores per week (1/day 3/week).

10 Caeruleum Cores for the cheapest item.

70 Rep per week (10/day)

30 Days to hit reliable (300 rep)

25 Days to complete daily contracts

10 WEEKS to buy 10 items.

Total time Until completion: 10 weeks of daily completions.

AND:

The Snakes Bite and The Snakes Bite II

Currently there are no "Apex" level hellbugs in the game (as far as I have seen, even in threat level 10 - they are "Evolved"). This makes these 2 pursuits currently impossible to complete as there are no Apex Hellbug Monarchs in the game to kill.

Edited by Lucent Beam

Lol oops, you're right. I totally misread that. Man I hope this doesn't get out of testing in this state if what you just posted is accurate, and I have no reason to believe it isn't :(

edit: Are the cores going to be sold in the store? Or am I thinking of arkforge?

That's a MATRON, you guys. Monarchs are all over the map in emergencies and spawn in Diablos.....

If there is an achievement for this pursuit, it is 10 weeks of playing every day....

AND:

Lol yeah I meant Matron which was why I mentioned running that co op map with friends. Dunno why I kept referring to it as Monarch.

With regards to the guy saying there are no Apex level monarchs, my guess is that they just didnt have enough high ego players in the area? The scaling thing makes me think you need a) over a certain minimum player count in the vicinity and b) a high enough % of said players over a minimum ego rating. This is just my theory though.

Edited by lifeexpectancy

My hunt for good 5k EGO weapons just came to a screeching halt.

Check out the difference between 5k and 5500.

http://i.imgur.com/ZXJI6sB.jpg

I think the crit increase on the 5000 one may offset the diff if you crit a lot. If you got that 5500 one with assassin synergy itd be niiice. I still dont have an OJ VBI TACC with syphone, but my blue one suffices. Let's hope next week's DLC functions as intended and apex enemies show up.

For those interested in leveling their orange EGO 1000 gun to 5000+, here's what it's going to cost you.

4000 EGO levels = 2000 Arkforge = 4x 500 caches * 1600 bits = 6400 bits = ~$60 (5200 bits is $50 - at the cheapest).

And yes, again, that is per gun

This person sucks at math. 5200 bits is $65.

It says you can get arkforge from lockboxes and events. If you want it any faster, you have to buy it from the shop. Yeah, Trion is up to new tricks to rake in more money since nobody is buying the game anymore, but what do you expect? You can't maintain a game like this for free.

The "new" pursuits are stupid. It's the same old "buy x amount of items from vendor" or "kill x amount of enemies" bullshit like in the last DLC's. If you say it's going to take 10 weeks of straight playing to get these achievements then count me out of being the first person to get them all. God damn real life getting in my way...

This person sucks at math. 5200 bits is $65.

It says you can get arkforge from lockboxes and events. If you want it any faster, you have to buy it from the shop. Yeah, Trion is up to new tricks to rake in more money since nobody is buying the game anymore, but what do you expect? You can't maintain a game like this for free.

The "new" pursuits are stupid. It's the same old "buy x amount of items from vendor" or "kill x amount of enemies" bullshit like in the last DLC's. If you say it's going to take 10 weeks of straight playing to get these achievements then count me out of being the first person to get them all. God damn real life.

5200 bits, when purchased in such quantity, is in fact $50 (aka 4000 MS Points as the store still shows). A bulk purchase results in a 30% bonus.