Dare Devil

Aphrodite1

Has anyone out there managed to get the Dare Devil achievement yet? Any tips out there? Now that the Beam Me Up! cheevo has been sorted this is probably the toughest offline achievement IMO in the game.

I can do level 2 fine using rapid fire. Here are my tips for level 2:

It a case of firing like mad and dodging like crazy. Thankfully there aren't any aliens that fire shots at you on this level apart from the snake thing on the run up to the boss and the boss fight itself. However shooting out its body parts destroys its ability to fire at you until it regenerates once it goes back into the alien hive. For the boss on level 2 you need to plant your ship at the top of the blue thing that pops out of alien hive just off to the left a bit and fire like mad. This will put you out of collision range with the snake as it loops about. You may need to dodge the odd occasional shot from the snake though.

It's level 1 that is the problem for me. It's the 2 large orange dudes that fire rockets that you have to face just before the boss fight. Problem is one of them stays with you and remains on screen on the left during the boss fight. And they take a huge amount of shots to kill off. In fact I've yet to destroy one yet. Any tips for this bit, as the rest of level 1 is fairly straightfoward with practice?

Please take a look, I just get the "Beam Me Up!", but this one is really HARD for me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feuxKV2mqeo]YouTube - R-TYPE Dimensions 命知ら㚠(Dare Devil)[/ame]

Edited by levistone

Thanks for this video, this should prove very useful.

Looking at it I think he made it a bit harder for himself than I found myself on Stage 1 travelling through the base. It's the section with the 2 orange rocket firing bastards that looks to be the bit that makes or breaks this achievement. I think a fair degree of skill and luck will be needed to get through that bit.

Stage 2 in comparison I reckon is a lot easier. On stage 2 at the bit just before you fly through a narrower section just before the snake first appears you hit a checkpoint. So if you can get to where it narrows and you die, its not so tough as then you have a clean run through to the boss fight. With the stage 2 boss I'm wondering if you can just concentrate on the snake only, so if you don't destroy the boss the level should end anyway. This may still award the achievement without having to risk sitting on top of the boss like he does in the video?

Regarding the continuing question, good point. I guess will have to try it out and see. In the process of trying I suppose you can refine your technique!!

I saw this earlier when it was the OP. I see someone beat me to the punch. I do quite a few things "easier" than the other guy who posted a video. So maybe collect info from both and use it to the best of your knowledge.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC_6d6EwX18]YouTube - R-type Dimensions Dare Devil Achievement[/ame]

for those interested. Also on the 2nd boss, a lot of times your fire disappears on the eye. I was trying to get it so the beam would go through the eye. Thus dying.

Well, I finally got it. God. This one of those achievements that I hate. While you are trying to get it, you are telling yourself, "why am I even doing this? This isn't fun. It's just pissing me off." And when you get it you tell youself, "I'm glad that shit is over with." There are just too many random things that could happen. Especially with the two robots near the end of stage one. It's hard to come up with a strategy when the missles could home, or they might not. Or the robots might shoot two bullets in a row. Or they might space them apart. I even noticed that the stage one boss has a random period of invincibility when the head first pops out. Sometimes you can damage him right from the start but othertimes your bullets won't do anything for a little whil.e If it lasts long enough (about 2.5 tail swings) then you're screwed because by the time he gets close enough to you, you die and you didn't get a chance to do enough damage. It's so frustrating to make it past the two robots (the hardest part of this achievement imo) and die to bullshit like that.

Oh well, like I said it's done and over with. I just played a that dealt me the right cards.

Well, I finally got it. God. This one of those achievements that I hate. While you are trying to get it, you are telling yourself, "why am I even doing this? This isn't fun. It's just pissing me off." And when you get it you tell youself, "I'm glad that shit is over with." There are just too many random things that could happen. Especially with the two robots near the end of stage one. It's hard to come up with a strategy when the missles could home, or they might not. Or the robots might shoot two bullets in a row. Or they might space them apart. I even noticed that the stage one boss has a random period of invincibility when the head first pops out. Sometimes you can damage him right from the start but othertimes your bullets won't do anything for a little whil.e If it lasts long enough (about 2.5 tail swings) then you're screwed because by the time he gets close enough to you, you die and you didn't get a chance to do enough damage. It's so frustrating to make it past the two robots (the hardest part of this achievement imo) and die to bullshit like that.

Oh well, like I said it's done and over with. I just played a that dealt me the right cards.

I agree. Just got mine too and it was just a frustrating and boring experience. The thing I like the least about this kind of achievement is how they force you to play the game wrong. I'm not supposed to be afraid of powerups!

If you look at my video, you can actually sit under the missiles and they will go behind you. I didn't do this every time, but it does work, even when they home. They should have made 1cc clear achievements. I think achievements are stupid when they do not pertain to the gameplay.

Edited by Todaysforgotten

Just got it. PsychicSandwich, I'm with you, this achievement was horrible. Also a word of advice, guys: if you screw up early in the first level, do NOT select the restart stage option -exit the game and then start again instead. You won't get the achievement if you restart.

God knows how many attempts I had at this but finally got it! Horrible achievement. Why is that when you're having a good run you die at a simple bit that you know you can do over and over again perfectly normally!!!

Thanks to the Todaysforgotten for the video. It helped immensely with the rocket guys on level 1

I agree. Just got mine too and it was just a frustrating and boring experience. The thing I like the least about this kind of achievement is how they force you to play the game wrong. I'm not supposed to be afraid of powerups!
These types of achievements are there to make you approach the game in a different manner than you would normally. Get more mileage out of your purchase, "variety is the spice of life," and stuff like that.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is fucking fantastic. I just spent hours trying to do this achievement, finally did it, lo and behold, no achievement. I swear to fucking god, why can developers not have an ounce of fucking competency in making achievemenets. This is so fucking stupid.

EDIT: Just did it for the 2nd time in a row and it unlocked. The first time played, i switched between 2d and 3d few times, but the second time when it unlocked, i left it on 3d the whole time. I don't know if that effects it.

Edited by MachineAres

• 5 months later...

This will be my last achievement in this game.

I have tried many time to pass stage 2 using "B" button rapid-fire only, except a single life pass, but achievment never pop-up. I have already restarted the game form main menu if game over.

Is there an achievment glitch?

Edited by Kenmaster360

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I got this achievement today. :woop:

Sure, it´s a bit late, but who knows.

I found a really easy way to destroy these two orange robots. I tried it several times and it worked always the same. So it has nothing to do with luck or anything like this.

I made a video. Maybe it will help someone who stuck on this two robots. The scene is two times. One on normal size and a second try a bit bigger. But you see it is always the same procedure.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj5bkIeLqow]YouTube - R-Type Dare Devil orange robots[/ame]

Edited by Leviathan1348

• 2 weeks later...