Foxiest of the hounds

Does tripping mines or panacea people turning hostile block off getting the achievement at the end? I tripped one emp on my current playthrough but all there was near by was a camera and nothing went hostile, and last playthrough I never got caught but I did walk through a laser wire but it only alerted the guards not hostiled them, guess it was still bad, what about explosive mines? And finally can I just run through panchea, it was a bitch trying to sneak by them all especially on the catwalk (I did manage it though)

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't trigger any alarms you're fine. Guards can be alarmed and even hostile just don't let them trigger the alarm system. If they do just reload last save. Be careful with cameras/turrets and try not to fail when hacking safes/computers/doors because some will trigger the alarms.

About Panchea, I ran through it and still got the achievement.

Cheers

I recently unlocked 'Foxiest of Hounds' and this is what I discovered:

- Cameras can become suspicious but NOT hostile (green is regular; yellow is suspicious; red is hostile)

- Robots can go hostile if they don't alert other guards or sound the alarm

- Tripping mines does not void the achievement so long as it doesn't alert other guards (be wary of frag mines)

- The crazy people on Panchea can go hostile because they are incapable of enabling the alarm (they just want to kill people :))

- Certain parts of the game where the enemies are supposed to be hostile (Saving Faridah, etc.) do not affect the achievement.

Funny thing is, I didn't even intend on getting 'Foxiest of Hounds'; I was working on my 'Doctorate' playthrough (reading all experience books) and was always taking the stealthy approach in preparation for the next playthrough on the hardest difficulty. After acquiring my last Ebook, I figured I might as well finish the game to get the Pacifist achievement and possibly 'Foxiest of Hounds' and I luckily got them both.

• 1 month later...

I just got this achievement yesterday and the ONLY thing that counts are alarms set off by soldiers using control panels on the wall (they have hand icons on them), failing hacks, and by cameras spotting you.

I did this on my 2nd playthrough let me explain the things I did which still allowed me to get the achievement:

I murdered EVERYONE. Every mofo I came across. Seriously, doesn't matter if they spotted me and went hostile as long as I killed them before they touched the alarm on the wall. Doesn't matter if one of them came across a body and were "alerted" I killed them as well.

Many cameras spotted me and were "suspicious" but they didn't set off the alarm. If they turned red (or spotted a corpse) I would reload, but otherwise I moved on.

Turrets spotted me and beeped, but didn't raise the alarms.

I threw many EMP grenades at cameras and turrets to destroy them.

I disconnected a hack if I felt I was going to fail it. (failing a hack will set off the alarm).

I almost never got the "Smooth Operator" bonus.

I killed all the crazy people at Panchea.

I also triggered a lot of frag mines and threw frag grenades whenever I wanted.

About the pacifist one, I think the best way to be sure to get it is to no interact with ennemies at all (except boss) which mean to not kill them or even knock them (if you don't knock any enemy, you are sure to not have someone killed because of a bug).

As long as you don't do "Foxiest of the hounds" and "Paficist" as the same time, might be pretty easy in easy mode (just need to use the coating function to avoid most of the ennemies without caring about alarms as long as you don't die) and do the contrary for "Foxiest of the hounds" (take any time needed and reload when you hear an alarm).

Apologize if this was mentioned before, but if I failed a hack in an area but didn't hear alarms go off.

Specifically, in the first level after the prologue where you come across an office with 7-8 desktops, I failed one after I took out all the guards in the area.

The computer locked me out but I didn't remember see the radar indicate that it set off any alarm.

Would this fail the Foxiest of the Hounds achievement?

Apologize if this was mentioned before, but if I failed a hack in an area but didn't hear alarms go off.

Specifically, in the first level after the prologue where you come across an office with 7-8 desktops, I failed one after I took out all the guards in the area.

The computer locked me out but I didn't remember see the radar indicate that it set off any alarm.

As long as no alarms were sounded or any additional guards were sent to investigate then you should be safe. If I were you I would've immediately reloaded a previous save just in case. If you're far enough in the game, though, then just keep going and see if it unlocks at the end.

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that having ennemies sometime goes hostile don't fail the achievement.

I followed this guide : [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsP9-jj_BIs&feature=relmfu]Deus Ex - Part 37 - End - Legend / Doctorate / Pacifist / Foxiest Full Walkthrough - YouTube[/ame]

And contrary to this guy, I didn't get as often as him the smooth operator bonus which made me though I had failed the achievement (I was doing the e-books, hard difficulty and pacifist at the same time and said to myself I would do another playthrough without doing the sidequests in easy mode to get "Foxiest of the hounds" but I got it when I finished the game (I heard an alarm once but I reloaded the game and never failed any computers hacks).

So I don't think the smooth operator is really needed, you can probably never get it and still get the achievement. The achievement description just talks about alarm, not the other things.

• 1 month later...

Hey I'm also doing the game for the first time and I've got a question...if a turret or enemy goes hostile for a split of a sec, for instance, the soldier sometimes, when I shoot him with the electric pistol goes hostile for a split of a sec before being knocked out, or the turret, while Jensen moves from a cover to another one, goes hostile for a split of a sec but doesn't cause any alarm to go off or the soldiers to go on a hunt...can it void the achievement ?

Thanks.

Hey I'm also doing the game for the first time and I've got a question...if a turret or enemy goes hostile for a split of a sec, for instance, the soldier sometimes, when I shoot him with the electric pistol goes hostile for a split of a sec before being knocked out, or the turret, while Jensen moves from a cover to another one, goes hostile for a split of a sec but doesn't cause any alarm to go off or the soldiers to go on a hunt...can it void the achievement ?

Enemies can go hostle so long as they don't set off an alarm. The achievement is void if a turrent goes hostle or a camera turns red on you so reload a save. Also if you fail a hack it will set off an alarm so reload a save even if it's a hack that doesn't set off an alarm like in Jenson's office building just to be safe.

• 4 weeks later...

As I was traveling up the elevator and that guy who gives you credits was talking to me and the status randomly said alarmed. I reloaded it and it did the same thing. Is that supposed to happen? Should I worry about it voiding the achievement? Also, just made it up to the boss fight in Montreal. When she saw me, it turned hostile. I'm assuming this is okay since it's next to impossible not to be seen since that's kind of how you beat her.

Edited by Scorpion485

I recently unlocked 'Foxiest of Hounds' and this is what I discovered:

- Cameras can become suspicious but NOT hostile (green is regular; yellow is suspicious; red is hostile)

- Robots can go hostile if they don't alert other guards or sound the alarm

- Tripping mines does not void the achievement so long as it doesn't alert other guards (be wary of frag mines)

- The crazy people on Panchea can go hostile because they are incapable of enabling the alarm (they just want to kill people :))

- Certain parts of the game where the enemies are supposed to be hostile (Saving Faridah, etc.) do not affect the achievement.

Funny thing is, I didn't even intend on getting 'Foxiest of Hounds'; I was working on my 'Doctorate' playthrough (reading all experience books) and was always taking the stealthy approach in preparation for the next playthrough on the hardest difficulty. After acquiring my last Ebook, I figured I might as well finish the game to get the Pacifist achievement and possibly 'Foxiest of Hounds' and I luckily got them both.

I'm so glad I found this!

Now I know what I can and can't do. I love you all! You just made my next few days a little less stressful ahaha!

• 1 month later...

I congratulate all of you who got it. For some reason, I didn't. I had some guards get to alarmed state, but always reloaded if I tripped an alarm or they went hostile. I even hid on the last boss fight and didn't let the crazy people on Panchea go hostile, yet I didn't get it. Next playthrough will be on Hard. Will try for it again, but I am already preparing myself for not 1k'ing this one. I also missed one of the side missions by mistake and am not sure I have the stomach to do the whole thing again on Hard...

I'm just starting and it's so difficult to tell what an alarm is. I'm going through the manufacturing plant and I just passed a room of 4 guys without ever alarming any of them. Right after I walk through the next door there is a red flashing light and an alarm like sound going off. None of the enemies are alerted, though. Is this an alarm that I set off? Or is this just an alarm that the enemies set off an are ignoring now?

Its the part with the tutorial on security systems.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Dumb question, so maybe need clarification. But, does failing a hack mean if you failed all available attempts? Like above I failed one attempt on a computer. I was too tired so I didn't reload a save, just left the computer with 4 attempts left to hack and went on to finish the level. I don't recall hearing any alarms and I had already knocked out all of the guards. I can't find any information to clarify my situation. Can someone help?

• 2 years later...

So my major beef with this achievement is that Deus Ex is not tuned to be a pure stealth game. I think of the first Thief games as optimized for stealth because your character was too weak to fight his way through and certain missions would fail if you were detected. As such, pure stealth games are set up to make a 100% sneak run reasonable. Deus Ex is equally weighted between combat and stealth and as a result, sneaking through some areas is just ridiculous. A medium sized room with only one entrance and one exit and 5 enemies with overlapping patrol routes requires multiple attempts to get through either by stealth or covert take downs. And even with the game installed on my HD, reloading a save still takes nearly 40 seconds. By the time I'm done (if my patience lasts) I bet all that waiting for loads will add 2 hours to my game time.

• 1 year later...

I made Foxiest my goal for my first run of the game, and it was not easy. Most of it comes down to me not being the best at stealth games, since big gun diplomacy has got me through many a shooter and RPG in the past. Many times I was nearly through a section, almost at a checkpoint, when I'd turn a corner and be face-to-face with a guard. Reload checkpoint, try again. I'm somewhat surprised I didn't give up halfway through and go for guns-blazing instead, but I stuck it out and finally got it done. The time I wasted could probably cover another run of the game but that's a separate matter.