Colour Coding Achievements

ezekiel 08

I had this great idea; what if the achievements on the main page were colour coded to represent the type, or 'genre', of achievement it is. Colour codes can include:

• Single Player only achievements
  • Co-op (online and offline) achievements
  • Xbox Live only achievements
  • DLC only achievements

I feel that this system will make it easier when people browse the achievement list and can instantly see which achievements are online or single player of if any DLC is required.

Instead of everyone trying to imagine what this will look like, I made some mock-up images of what the system could look like. These examples are broken into the respective achievement 'genres'. These are pretty close to what the final system could look like, though the colours used are up to the people who edit this site of course.

Example #1: Single Player achievements (Beautiful Katamari example)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd211/thexboy_8/x360a/7aadcf3d.jpg

Note: Single Player achievement colour stays the same as they are the majority of all achievements released.

Example #2: Co-Op achievements (CoD: WaW example)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd211/thexboy_8/x360a/e8d2e8ea.jpg

Note: There could be 2 different colours separating online co-op achievements from 'couch' co-op achievements. This is just an example.

Example #3: DLC achievements (Lost Odyssey example)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd211/thexboy_8/x360a/2447d437.jpg

Notes: None that I can think of.

I understand that this idea would mean more effort to the person(s) responsible for adding the achievement lists to the main page, but I believe that this would be an immensely helpful system that would help everyone in the community. It may even draw more people to this site as other site do not have this system.

I remember before I had Xbox Live, I would go through all the achievement lists and count how many achievements were Xbox Live related and then get the games with the least online achievements. This was a tiresome experience as some achievements don't say whether they are online or not and reading all the descriptions took quite some time. This is just one example of where this system will help.

Plus, who doesn't want to know straight away which achievements are online, offline or DLC without reading?

Please posts your comments or ideas below. Do you think this system will work? How could it be better? Would you like to see it implimented?

Hope to hear some good feedback!

~ ezekiel 08

Edited by ezekiel 08

Thanks for the support guys, I didn't think this would have suck a fast response :-).

I love the idea, but I imagine it would take too long to implement.

If someone gave me the job, I'd happily do this for every game currently listed. I'm not so sure about web page construction, but graphics I'm good with.

Already got the idea in your sig eh? :p

I can't really see any reason it hasn't been implemented though...

Yeah, I want to spread the word, try and get more and more people into the idea. That's how this great community gets better and better, user input :p. You should spread the word too!

I also can't think why this wouldn't have been implemented, it's not a very complex thing and once put into practise, it wouldn't take much more effort to maintain.

Well it would require someone (Routine) going through every single achievement on the 360 to mark it as either SP, MP, online etc.

What if someone was assigned (or a group of people) to going through each achievement (people could be allocated from say A-J, K-T etc) and writing down the genre of each achievements. You wouldn't have to write down each achievement, but just follow the order that they are listed on here and assign each achievement a number. Then you can just use a letter to tag each achievement: S for single player, C for co-op, M for multiplayer and D for DLC.

This would be a very fast and effective way of getting an index ready for Routine so he wouldn't have to do any of that himself.

I'd be glad to start making index of current released Retail games.

Maybe this could be applied to new game and if people like it, it could be added to the older games too. Or maybe just add it to Arcade titles for a trial as there aren't as many as retail games.

There's still 500 achievement lists currently, with that number growing rapidly all the time. Each game has 30 odd achievements as an average, each one has to be done individualy. Going through and working out if its MP or SP doesn't take that long, it's going through and adding all of the data onto the database that takes the time.

It's still adding 15,000 lines of data in currently, and a non-stop job for the future.

There's still 500 achievement lists currently, with that number growing rapidly all the time. Each game has 30 odd achievements as an average, each one has to be done individualy. Going through and working out if its MP or SP doesn't take that long, it's going through and adding all of the data onto the database that takes the time.

It's still adding 15,000 lines of data in currently, and a non-stop job for the future.

I understand that it would take a LOT of time, but surely it's worthwhile? And as it says in the original post, it's a feature that no other achievement sites have which would put us even more ahead.... right?

Peace

Also what if the achievement can be aquired online and offline do we colour them 2 colours?

I originally meant that if an achievement had to be acquired online, it should be coloured. If it can be gotten offline, it could stay the default green.

Then again, a different colour could be used, it's up to the staff really :-).

To those with power (Minty etc), could this idea be trialled somehow? Knowing the time and effort required to go those all those achievements lists, it would be smart to add this feature to a select few games (eg, the blockbuster titles with most players) or to new releases. Then you can gauge the reaction from the communty. If there is enough demand, maybe it could be added to the massive "to do" list?

Just some ideas...

Edited by ezekiel 08

Search this forum for the word "tagging" -- this idea has been suggested dozens of times and I've responded dozens of times saying that we are working on a way to distinguish the different ways an achievement can be earned. It is extremely difficult to code and will take a long time to implement, but it is something we'd like to have in the future.

Well it would require someone (Routine) going through every single achievement on the 360 to mark it as either SP, MP, online etc. And that's after he's worked out the coding for it.

Would be nice, but he also has a lot more stuff he's working on.

Everyone on this site finds out what th SP, MP, Secret, and DLC achievements are and submit them while Routine gets the coding, that will be a handfull of of him.

I support this idea.

Search this forum for the word "tagging" -- this idea has been suggested dozens of times and I've responded dozens of times saying that we are working on a way to distinguish the different ways an achievement can be earned. It is extremely difficult to code and will take a long time to implement, but it is something we'd like to have in the future.
The search engines have been broken.... for a while now actually. I havn't been able to use them in over 3 months, and I have asked a few others who are having the same problem... They submitted something to say it is not working...

You can't color code the difficulty of achievements because I for example can do Mile High Club on Veteran difficulty on CoD4 over 100 times day, but you may not be able to do it once. So if I were to get the difficutly of that achievement, than I wouldn't pick 7-10, and I would be easy on you guys so I would pick something like 6, while you may think it is 10. This would be an argument for all achievements, while it is hard enough making the road map difficutlies.

I also saw another thread that had some like this:

The achievements are better organzied.

There would be SP achievements, than MP, than a Secret achievements section, with SP Secret and MP Secret. With that included with the color coding, the achievement guides would put this site even more over the top.

Here is the link to that thread: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=115957

Also, the search engines work again :).

Edited by Evil Demon55

This is a really good Idea. I also had an idea similar to this but it was to colour code the achievements by difficulty. I don't know how this would work out but it would show how much of the games achievements would be easiest to get and which would take longest to get or needed the most skill.