Achievement Discussion

Krazie

• 3 weeks later...
For the Defeat a chess personality with an ELO rating of 1000 or more, I wonder if its going to have to be online or if it is an offline achievement.

I believe "personality" refers to the AI profiles, so it should be an offline achievement.

25 GS for that? sweet.

Boosting will be interesting for this game. Thinking about it, though, as long as you have two people who know what they're doing, you can alternate losses fairly quickly:

1. f3 e5

2. g4 Qh4#

Most of them shouldn't be that hard. It'll take a while to play 100 games, though, even if you pick the weakest profile and play it (unless one of the quick mates works against it).

I suppose it also depends on what happens when someone quits, because you can probably expect that to happen a lot in chess. The one nice thing is that there aren't any consecutive-wins achievements, so you shouldn't have people quitting on you just for that. (Suck it up and take the loss unless you've agreed to boost with someone, people.)

The puzzles might be a challenge as well, depending on how many there are and how quickly they go up in difficulty.

EDIT: Apparently they're not a challenge. You need to catch that guy in first, though. 100 wins, you can do it!

Woo first 200 in the world :) very easy 200, the only tricky one may be the online rank of 1200 unless you know someone with a rank that high already, it took me 6 profiles and a good half hour because after beating a profile a few times you can get no more points off it. The best way is to boost 2 other accounts up, then one off the other then yours off that one. That's only if you don't know someone with 1200ish points anyway.

100 games, just forfeit or let the time run out on hourglass, 20 wins won't take as long as it sounds, probably 3/4 of an hour tops.

The ai isn't too hard, the first game, providing you play the right person, you should get:

1 win

win in 5 mins

win against a personality of 1000 person

take all pieces

without too many problems!

Easy, enjoyable 200

The ai isn't too hard, the first game, providing you play the right person, you should get:

1 win

win in 5 mins

win against a personality of 1000 person

take all pieces

without too many problems!

Easy, enjoyable 200

As a skilled player, I totally agree. However, someone without much chess experience won't be able to knock out all those at once - the win over a 1000+ personality can be quite challenging for someone new to chess, and they may have trouble with the time constraint as well.

I wonder if you can get that achievement (win in 5 minutes) using the Fischer time settings?

Well, to really make the comp. run out of time, when its ur turn u have to move a piece really fast because if u take too long then when ur times going down his will b going bac up. Also make sure ur playing Stanley the monkey, then everytime he should run out of time, atleast when i play him he does. Good luck on getting that achievement

Also to answer your question jipettybones (above), yes it does count as a win if ur opponent quits out

Well, to really make the comp. run out of time, when its ur turn u have to move a piece really fast because if u take too long then when ur times going down his will b going bac up. Also make sure ur playing Stanley the monkey, then everytime he should run out of time, atleast when i play him he does. Good luck on getting that achievement

Also to answer your question jipettybones (above), yes it does count as a win if ur opponent quits out

no no im talking about the champ achievement, the one where you have to beat a elo level 1000 or above ai, and yea i move them very quickly, hasnt worked for me so far.........

I got Champ by playing at 10 minute game of Classical Chess against AI 1003. You can use no more than 5 minutes of your personal time. I found the computer used more time thus giving me more time to think.

yea i ended up just using the 'hints' thing after i discovered it was there, and the move backwards thing, after someone telling me it was there too, so yea its actually pretty easy with those two things

• 2 weeks later...

Had something interesting happen today. I joined a game in which my opponent was white, with 10 minute time. The game started . . . and he did nothing. I sent messages that went unanswered. He just sat there, doing nothing. Since he was white, the clock never started, and I was unable to exit the game without it counting as a loss. Is there anything that can be done about this? Is there a way to get out of a match like this without forfeiting?

Had something interesting happen today. I joined a game in which my opponent was white, with 10 minute time. The game started . . . and he did nothing. I sent messages that went unanswered. He just sat there, doing nothing. Since he was white, the clock never started, and I was unable to exit the game without it counting as a loss. Is there anything that can be done about this? Is there a way to get out of a match like this without forfeiting?

if that happens just turn off your box and you wont lose points and i think he wont gain anypoints.

• 1 month later...

I was looking at this game and I decided that I know a way to pretty much ensure that you don't lose to most people online, just boot up your computer, go to a website that has chess, play against the "Master" setting on the site, and use your pieces to mimic your oponents, then just move where the computer moves against you...that is if you are having any trouble beating people online, or want to beat a harder oponent. I just got this game, so I haven't had a chance to really play it, but i'm looking forward to some sweet chess action

• 1 month later...

Incidentally, the "Glorious" achievement does not include Message Chess. The description says "Achieve an online rating of 1200 in any type of chess." However, apparently Message Chess does not count as online chess since I have an ELO of 1200 in that and no achievement...

Guess I should play some of the other game types. :)

Edit: Now an ELO of 1202. :)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...