Forum Gold

Tussell

I don't know if this will be implemented, but I think it's an awesome idea. It works great as a 'money-bringer-inner' as well as overall activity on the forum.

This is what I'm thinking. The site can have its own form of currency to do certain things around the site. There will be a certain cost for this forum gold, and it could be something like this:

$ 10 for 260 fg

$ 20 for 595 fg

$ 30 for 855 fg

$ 40 for 1190 fg

$ 50 for 1450 fg

$ 60 for 1785 fg

$ 70 for 2045 fg

$ 80 for 2380 fg

$ 90 for 2640 fg

$ 100 for 3175 fg

It can be used to buy tickets for raffles for games, prizes, etc. There can be a lottery in which you can win more forum gold. It can be awarded for certain things.

This way we could even run tournaments and stuff for forum gold, rather than prizes. We could have more tournaments, contests, giveaways, etc.

I think it would bring in a ton more traffic as well!

Just an idea, most likely not going to happen though.

This does sound like a pretty cool idea, something to at least throw on the table. What I'm wondering is just how many people care for this type of thing. We have a ton of members, but only a few of us I could see actually wanting to do this a lot. It's an awesome idea and I would totally be game for this.

This does sound like a pretty cool idea, something to at least throw on the table. What I'm wondering is just how many people care for this type of thing. We have a ton of members, but only a few of us I could see actually wanting to do this a lot. It's an awesome idea and I would totally be game for this.

Trust me, it gets VERY addictive, and I imagine it would pull in a lot of people.

There's endless posibilities to what you could do with it. Especially if you allow trading from member to member without any form of approval from a 'higher-up' on the forum.

Its a decent idea but like DeekBoy said, how many people will actually go for this?.. If im honest I'd say only some the Sub's and long standing members might but other than that I dont think many members would latch onto the idea. Plus not to mention the amount of work, moderating and problems this would entail for the site staff.

If Farmville can do it, anyone can. =P

I doubt it'd go through, but it sure is an interesting idea.

Farmville is a game dont forget and to my knowledge very addictive. Plus x360a doesn't have 500 million members knocking at its doors :p

I'm quite sure it won't, but I figured it was worth a shot. :p

What kind of moderation would be needed?

Well moderation of;

Tournaments

Giveaways

Raffles

Problems

Trading Etc..

Like I said I like the idea and its interesting but would it catch on? and would it be worth all the trouble in the long run?

Also why are all the Gold quantities uneven? :p

Well moderation of;

Tournaments

Giveaways

Raffles

Problems

Trading Etc..

Like I said I like the idea and its interesting but would it catch on? and would it be worth all the trouble in the long run?

Also why are all the Gold quantities uneven? :p

Tournaments and contests would be run as normal. However, we would have the option of running more, if there's no actual large prizes to be given away.

Hourly raffle's can be run automatically, no actual work involved. Random generators on the forum itself, and automatically updated account balances. It can be done.

And I didn't mean trading when I first said it. I just meant, like I could give you 20fg without a moderator or administrator needing to confirm that. ie: I type in your name, the desired amount of fg I want to give you, then wa-lah!

Problems, of course, would need moderation, but that's about it.

Anywho, I just copy and pasted the buy-list from another site which uses forum gold.

Edited by Tussell

I like the idea. I do not know the practicallity of it or the logistics, but it sounds interesting. My main question is, does our subscription payment count towards the gold?. I would hate to sub, and not have that money count. This would mean I would need to pay extra for things we already get as subs. Subs get their own little raffles, tournaments, and others little perks like this.

My main question is, does our subscription payment count towards the gold?. I would hate to sub, and not have that money count. This would mean I would need to pay extra for things we already get as subs. Subs get their own little raffles, tournaments, and others little perks like this.

This.

Subscribed members should get like a monthly income of this forum gold

I like the idea. I do not know the practicallity of it or the logistics, but it sounds interesting. My main question is, does our subscription payment count towards the gold?. I would hate to sub, and not have that money count. This would mean I would need to pay extra for things we already get as subs. Subs get their own little raffles, tournaments, and others little perks like this.

This is true.. I'm guessing this is for Subs only right?

As I don't want the benefits I/we get from being a Sub then just being handed out to people who don't. Not trying to be unfair, but its how it is now.

I like the idea, but it will need moderation like anything and everything else on the site. Though it maybe a strain on the site with all the other stuff going on at the moment.

Seeing as they've taken out a forum drop down menu from the bottom of the forums because it was a strain on the servers, I'm guessing a generator raffle thing of some kind will be a little worse?

I used that site in the past, the thing about the D2 community though is there is an economy. You don't need to pay money to make an account and start giving pgems away for FG to save up for better gear to MF for more FG for elite gear. How would we allow free users to make FG? Typically, boosting is mutual where you help eachother.

When trading in D2, you can use 3rd parties that verify the trade. We wouldn't really have a great way of verifying transactions here. The idea of offering a way of buying in to contests and drawings would seem to have some legal issues I wouldn't know anything about. The subscribing and donating are less rigid agreements where the site doesn't really promise you much more benefit.

It wouldn't have anything to do with being a subscriber. Would be a completely different thing in my opinion.

I'm in no way advertising, but look how this site does it:

www.d2jsp.org

It's a safe site, so don't be worried.

Hmmm. This isnt quite what I was picturing. I was picturing something where mods/staff would hand out forum gold for different things a member did. Maybe if you create in achievement guide that gets used on the mainpage, you will get X amount of forum gold. Or, if you make a thread that greatly benefits that particular forum, you get x amount of gold. Basically people would be awarded for doing things that greatly benefit this community. Obviously subscribers, and donators would be given a certain amount of gold, depending on how much they donate. This could be used as a way to raise more money, and encourage people to do more. This gold could then be used for entering private tourney's, or entering a private raffle. Maybe some awards could be given out also, however I dont know if the staff is too keen on creating more awards.

Guide writers get recognition for writing guides. We have never paid for guides and doubt we ever will. Our guide staff is pretty good about writing guides no one wants to but are wanted.

We have awards for donating money. We have special giveaways and tournaments for subscribers. Private giveaways and tournaments without prior admin approval are not allowed. So far all creating FG does in suggestions is add FG.

Hmmm. This isnt quite what I was picturing. I was picturing something where mods/staff would hand out forum gold for different things a member did. Maybe if you create in achievement guide that gets used on the mainpage, you will get X amount of forum gold. Or, if you make a thread that greatly benefits that particular forum, you get x amount of gold. Basically people would be awarded for doing things that greatly benefit this community. Obviously subscribers, and donators would be given a certain amount of gold, depending on how much they donate. This could be used as a way to raise more money, and encourage people to do more. This gold could then be used for entering private tourney's, or entering a private raffle. Maybe some awards could be given out also, however I dont know if the staff is too keen on creating more awards.

I suggested something similar in the past. For example, listening to podcasts by entering a key word mentioned throughout to gain points/gold/whatever or participation in site tournaments, gatherings etc. The problem wasn't the idea itself but the huge pain in the ass coding. It's not impossible just a huge workload I'm not sure RX is able to take on right now.

I suggested something similar in the past. For example, listening to podcasts by entering a key word mentioned throughout to gain points/gold/whatever or participation in site tournaments, gatherings etc. The problem wasn't the idea itself but the huge pain in the ass coding. It's not impossible just a huge workload I'm not sure RX is able to take on right now.

You know once someone figured it out, it would be all over the forum :p. If not ours, on other sites. Just like that find the x promo. All 10 were on forums hours after the challenge came out.

I don't mean that we are so ubiquitous that other site follow us, but that we have some haters that would post the answer just to spite us.

Edited by Shinobi273

And that seems to be the common crossroad that most ideas meet. Is the effort worth the reward. There are a ton of ideas out there that could improve the site, but is the massive amount of work, and resources, worth the small reward. My problem is I have zero knowledge of coding, and I consider people who do know these things to be geniuses. This makes me think all these changes would be easy, when I know in reality, it takes alot more effort and resources. If i knew more about website coding I could say," yeah, good idea, but not worth the effort".

The following statement is not meant to stir anything up, but I have been wondering about this lately. It seems that alot of new ideas get shot down, and I always get the, "We have been around long enough that all the good ideas have already been thought of" feeling. Do you think 99% of the good ideas are already thought of, or do you think good ideas are too quickly shot down, without thinking through it. I have the personality where I am constantly trying to change things to make them better. Most of the time this is good, but there are times when certain things dont need fixed. There are certain times where I feel like the site has a very progressive mindset, and others where I see a little bit of complacency. Maybe satisfied is a better word than complacency, as my comment was not meant to be derogatory. Again, not trying to rustle any feathers, rather just curious as to the vision for the website. It would be cool to hear from the staff what they invision as the future of the website. This would give the community an idea of how to help them get there.

I'm not sold on the idea. Besides being used to buy entry to tournaments and contests I don't see much use in it. And on that note, I'm pretty sure the admins would be against that use of it, much like they're opposed to postcount requirements to be eligible for contests (same idea but worse because posting is free).

And that seems to be the common crossroad that most ideas meet. Is the effort worth the reward. There are a ton of ideas out there that could improve the site, but is the massive amount of work, and resources, worth the small reward. My problem is I have zero knowledge of coding, and I consider people who do know these things to be geniuses. This makes me think all these changes would be easy, when I know in reality, it takes alot more effort and resources. If i knew more about website coding I could say," yeah, good idea, but not worth the effort".

I'm in uni for computer science and let me tell you that coding is not nearly as difficult as you think it is. I've said this before but a lot of the small tweaks I see suggested are actually quite simple to implement. And in saying that I mean no offense to RX - I don't know PHP or Javascript so I'm sure I'm underestimating the difficulty in some cases.

The following statement is not meant to stir anything up, but I have been wondering about this lately. It seems that alot of new ideas get shot down, and I always get the, "We have been around long enough that all the good ideas have already been thought of" feeling. Do you think 99% of the good ideas are already thought of, or do you think good ideas are too quickly shot down, without thinking through it. I have the personality where I am constantly trying to change things to make them better. Most of the time this is good, but there are times when certain things dont need fixed. There are certain times where I feel like the site has a very progressive mindset, and others where I see a little bit of complacency. Maybe satisfied is a better word than complacency, as my comment was not meant to be derogatory. Again, not trying to rustle any feathers, rather just curious as to the vision for the website. It would be cool to hear from the staff what they invision as the future of the website. This would give the community an idea of how to help them get there.
I pretty much share your feelings. However, they've almost always got something in the works behind the scenes so I wouldn't say they're sitting on their hands "satisfied". I do feel that they dismiss some ideas too quickly though. And back to the coding thing, I think a lot of it is that it's only RX on the technical side (AFAIK) and I'm sure he's probably got a full-time job and family, which obviously takes precedence. I think the site should invest in a helper monkey in that department though.

I pretty much share your feelings. However, they've almost always got something in the works behind the scenes so I wouldn't say they're sitting on their hands "satisfied".

Nice post^^^^

I def know they are not sitting on their hands. This website has gone through a ton of major changes since I joined over 3 years ago. I am sure the staff is looking at the big picture of the site, while we tend to concentrate on the smaller things. However, I think it is good to encourage new ideas, because big picture or small picture, anything to do with technology must evolve to keep up. I tend to throw threads out there like this to get the members to think and be creative, and possibly have it benefit the site. It usually tends to spur good discussion which can never be bad.

And back to the coding thing, I think a lot of it is that it's only RX on the technical side (AFAIK) and I'm sure he's probably got a full-time job and family, which obviously takes precedence. I think the site should invest in a helper monkey in that department though.

Its easy for even me to forget this site isn't some huge corporation with a 30 person IT staff. The staff have full time jobs, families, and other things that keep them busy. This is something they pobably enjoy doing (at least most of the time;)), which makes it even more amazing in how much they have accomplished.