What sort of achievement hunter are you?

Fragarach Luin

What is your standard of success in achievement hunting?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What is your standard of success in achievement hunting?

• The amount of Gamerscore, pure and simple
    • The completion percentage
    • The completion percentage, but only of quality games
    • The amount of Gamerscore, but only of quality games

I'm a OCD completionist and I my general rule is that I don't play games that I wouldn't play if they didn't have achievements. I also don't start a game unless I plan on putting forth my best effort to complete it, including all DLC.

I honestly don't care about gamerscore. It's a meaningless number to me. I'm not really that impressed with Stallion83's 945k G because he has very few truly difficult or time consuming achievements. I've got about 1/10th the number of achievements that he has and 1/15th the number of games played, yet his 50th "hardest" achievement according to TrueAchievements has a 6.31 ratio. My 50th "hardest" achievement has a 7.19 ratio. All he has proven is that he has more time than everyone else to play video games and that he only goes after the low hanging fruit. The true gaming champion of this generation is Czaleo. This guy is an absolute beast when it comes to hard achievements. He has completed Robotron 2084, Asteroids and Deluxe, and Cyberball 2072, being the only known person with 100% completion of the latter two.

But don't get me wrong- when it comes to completing achievements, I've got somewhat of an "all's fair" mentality. I've done my fair share of boosting and using what I consider creative solutions to earn achievements (like abusing the pause mechanic when going for the advanced pro-guitar and pro-keys trainer achievement in Rock Band 3).

I don't necessarily avoid games with difficult (as in I might not be able to complete them) achievements, but I do avoid games with achievements that I feel will take more time and effort than I want to have to put forth. GTAIV is a perfect example- I haven't played it because I don't want to spend forever grinding/boosting Wanted and Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic. I also hate what I cosnider to be "unnecessary" multiplayer achievements, which is why I haven't played Tomb Raider and the new Batman game.

Here are the 108 games on my gamercard: http://www.trueachievements.com/mygames.aspx?gamerid=113412

I've not completed eight games.

GTAV: currently working on it

Bioshock Infinite: Waiting for the DLC to be released on 11/12

Metro Last Light: Just need to complete the DLC

Deathsmiles: Three insanely difficult achievements

Cyberball 2072: One insanely difficult achievement

Rock Band 3: One pro drum trainer achievement that I am unable to complete

Skate: One achievement that is unobtainable due to server shutdown

Ghostbusters: Two MP achievements that are unobtainable because of glitchy MP achievements (I've completed the requirements for both multiple times)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? You should definitely steer clear of AC and AO. Although awesome, they are tough. I'm a very experienced Arkham player, but I still find some of those predator challenges difficult.

I know. They are excellent games, but they just aren't for me.

I still want to play them at some point, maybe on a dummy account or on steam since the achievements are disabled now

I'm not so worried about the percentage of completion with my games. I'm more of a "get a high gamerscore" kind of person. I mean if I like the game i'll replay it and try and go for more achievments but I just don't have the attention span to sit there and try to get one achievment that takes sometimes over a week to get. That's my opinion anyway.:)

If a game goes on my card, it's going to be 100% completed one day, no exceptions.

That said, I only play games that I know are actually possible to complete and avoid ones with unobtainable achievements (Like LOTR: Conquest with its MP achievements broken thanks to the servers going down).

It's more an OCD thing; if the bar doesn't say 100%, the game is not completed. That means all DLC achievements must be earned. Bad for my wallet in the fact that all DLC means bought for new games, but also saves it from buying games with too many useless DLC achievements.

Usually they're quality though; I don't care if it's easy to complete, they just gotta be fun. Avatar: TBE can be done in 5 minutes and that's not fun to me. So, games like Call of Duty and Devil May Cry are on my card. Granted, Devil May Cry is the hardest freaking franchise I've ever completed, but it's been done. Just ask 1001puppies.

Speaking of 1001puppies, how come you changed your avatar? That was such a good picture of Elizabeth!

If a game goes on my card, it's going to be 100% completed one day, no exceptions.

That said, I only play games that I know are actually possible to complete and avoid ones with unobtainable achievements (Like LOTR: Conquest with its MP achievements broken thanks to the servers going down).

It's more an OCD thing; if the bar doesn't say 100%, the game is not completed. That means all DLC achievements must be earned. Bad for my wallet in the fact that all DLC means bought for new games, but also saves it from buying games with too many useless DLC achievements.

Usually they're quality though; I don't care if it's easy to complete, they just gotta be fun. Avatar: TBE can be done in 5 minutes and that's not fun to me. So, games like Call of Duty and Devil May Cry are on my card. Granted, Devil May Cry is the hardest freaking franchise I've ever completed, but it's been done. Just ask 1001puppies.

Speaking of 1001puppies, how come you changed your avatar? That was such a good picture of Elizabeth!

The worst part about dlc required for completion is buying it when you don't want to play it, or waiting for it to go on sale which could be the end of time (looking at you Mass Effect and Modern Warfare 3....)

Also, my avatar was Aerith from Crisis Core (Aeris in Final Fantasy VII), not Elizabeth. lol

Amount of Gamerscore for me. I don't care about completion% as I don't like to force myself to play a specific game longer than I want to. Or to have to buy DLC to have it complete. I think those with high GS and high completion percentage are pretty great, dedicated but I don't find it makes it any more meaningful or special.

Completion, been collecting them for years and still only just hit 300k, I dont see the point in going for gamerscore if you dont intend finishing what u started. Think my completion is 98% now with every intention of finishing the 7 or 8 games not maxed on my card.

With the effort and hours I put into maxing my games, if I instead only went for score then no doubt I'd be 500 - 600k or more easy.

I dont see why people like Stallion are respected when anyone can milk games for score. If he maxed everything he played and used skill he wouldnt be number 1, and in my eyes his 1 is nothing to brag about cos dudes cards a mess lol.

The worst part about dlc required for completion is buying it when you don't want to play it, or waiting for it to go on sale which could be the end of time (looking at you Mass Effect and Modern Warfare 3....)

Also, my avatar was Aerith from Crisis Core (Aeris in Final Fantasy VII), not Elizabeth. lol

Yeah, especially when that DLC is almost as much as the game itself...

Really? Could've swore it was Elizabeth. Then again, never played FF or Crisis Core.

Used to not care. Got a few games on my tag now with sub 100GS and one with 5GS and it's really bugging me for some reason.

Thinking about starting a new tag and playing one game at a time and trying to complete it to the best of my ability. And leaving out arcade games. Never actually played a good one anyway.

Blood Dragon. Don't question it, just play it. One of the best games this gen. Oh and Mark of the Ninja was pretty great too.

Yeah, especially when that DLC is almost as much as the game itself...

Yeah, Actually, I payed more for a Prince of Persia DLC then I did for the stupid game. fail

Really? Could've swore it was Elizabeth. Then again' date=' [u']never played FF or Crisis Core[/u].

Whaaa!?!?! Get out! :p

To sum it up, I used to not care about either high gamerscore or completion %. Then I started caring and playing whatever to boast score. Then once I dropped down below 60% completion percentage then I cared about that. Got it over 80% with 175 games and got burned out on both.For awhile it felt like going for achievements was more like a job and I lost all enjoyment in gaming.

Now I play for fun again if meaning that's going for achievements/ percentage then that's what it means. Or just playing mp. Regardless I only play games I really like or want and will complete these games only.

I had 100% completion from the 9 games I played until last night, when I started Hitman Absolution. Got 90% now.

I do have a bunch of games sitting on my shelf waiting to be done, Sleeping Dogs, Darkness 2, Oblivion, Fallout 3 to name but a few. Fairly easy but time consuming games, but I will be starting Forza Horizon in the future. Now that will be a test.

I am striving for completion above Gs. I would rather have every game completed than a high Gs, but everyone is different. Also, i am only playing 1 retail and 1 arcade at a time. Keeps the % up, and means I don't have too much on the go at once.

i use gamerscore to artificially extend my games and make them last hell of a lot longer than it would of if the achievements wasnt there i dont mind if certain games have low gamer score but yh i dont brag about gamerscore etc they just increase the life of my games

i would never have killed the ethereal queen on infinite undiscovery on infinte mode for 1g if it wasnt an achievement to do so lol

edit, just to add that my first playthrough of any new game is purely experience i dont care about achievements at all when playing a new game for the first time

one thing iv always wondered is why is her name different in certain games? iv always know her as Aeris in ff7 but when ever i see ff7 online she was called aerith. why has she got 2 names lol

Edited by Lewie B I ReQ

To correctly answer the question, I'm all about the experience of the game. My gamerscore and completion % are nowhere near reputable, and I simply don't care. I'm all about enjoying the game, be it for achievements, multiplayer, or sheer tomfoolery.

Spoken like a true gamer, dude.

Yup. I was a Nintendo guy till about 2008, then did a bunch of brawlers like DBZ: Budokai on PS2. Then I was recommended to Xbox. Never heard of either until quite recently.

gotta say thats pretty impressive that you never heard of ff until recently, damn i was 6 years old when i first played ff7 when it came out i practically grew up on ff haha

one thing iv always wondered is why is her name different in certain games? iv always know her as Aeris in ff7 but when ever i see ff7 online she was called aerith. why has she got 2 names lol

Believe it has to do with Japanese pronunciation of her name. Aerith is the U.S. version of her name, and I personally prefer it better...Although as a kid on the PS1 Final Fantasy VII, I grew up on "Aeris."

Believe it has to do with Japanese pronunciation of her name. Aerith is the U.S. version of her name, and I personally prefer it better...Although as a kid on the PS1 Final Fantasy VII, I grew up on "Aeris."

ah cool makes sense, aerith always seemed weird to me cos a i grew up it was always aeris haha

Non-GSL Me:

Fun. Story mode is where it's at. If a game has a ton of MP achievements and either a shit MP or a dead community or both, I'm not going to waste my time boosting it.

Polish off the story, mop up any fun ones or co-op, then move on to another game.

GSL Me:

Play anything, even shyte (Jumper... damn you Jumper), try and get what I can and try to boost whatever. Time permitting.

Yup. I was a Nintendo guy till about 2008, then did a bunch of brawlers like DBZ: Budokai on PS2. Then I was recommended to Xbox. Never heard of either until quite recently.

Read this, then went back to playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and immediately noticed, for the first time, the Final Fantasy XXVII poster Pritchard has on the wall in his lab. Made me laugh. It really is pretty incredible to have not heard of Final Fantasy, on a level I would say with not having heard of Resident Evil or Legend of Zelda. My mother lives in a stone house in Kilquade that is only heated by wood and has an outhouse instead of indoor plumbing. She thinks the internet is Satan's greatest tool and the theatre is full of nothing but wicked nakedness and the taking of the Lord's name in vain, and yet she would know the name Cloud Strife in a second if she heard it (if you said Lightning, she would call the horses in, and that's all).