Most annoying game enemy.

hydrosugar

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Combat Engineers from Mass Effect 3.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUU

lol agreed, during my first playthru i had some moments with those assholes. still hard for me to think about that playthru :(, *tears for garrus + liara*

I hated any mage in Skyrim... they were such a pain for me not having my own magic. I eventually developed an archery skill just got that...

Banshees in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer are a major annoyance...

the spells do feel powerful at first, but a good alchemy and enchanting skill can counter almost anything they dish out. i could see how a heavy armor warrior would get aggitated though lol.

banshees in mass effect were actually kind of cool in my opinion, i remember my first time seeing them i near shat my pants. i was wearing my turtle beaches and the scream near made me deaf, also when it started to creep toward liara i got very defensive and ran up to melee (lol bad idea:p).

Off the top of my head....Satan from Dantes Inferno. Not that the fight was terribly hard or anything but I never got the hang of keeping Dante in the air and when Satan does the attack that covers the entire ground it would get me every time. I had to do this fight on easy because of that :(

I hate the beret soldiers on Ninja Gaiden 3 on Master Ninja difficulty or higher. Constant grabbing is annoying but getting hit and stunned by kunai constantly in the middle of a combo, and then losing 80% of your health from being grabbed after is always a pain. I would also put the Gorilla Chimera into the same category of annoyance.

Another of the most annoying enemies I've faced is also from Ninja Gaiden 3, and goes by the name of Marbus. One of the glitchiest bosses around with the difficulty being most noticeable on Master Ninja or higher.

Still have not come across an enemy as annoying as cliff racers in Morrowind. Almost anywhere you went (and you had to walk..this is a real game..no fast traveling) you would hear their familiar call and would soon be attacked by a pack of them out of the sky. And with Morrowinds sub par hit detection system...killing them was no easy task. Good memories though..they were one of the many things that defined the game!

Here's a few guidelines of what makes an annoying enemy for me:

- Minions. Like the OP said, fighting a boss with his little helpers constantly trying to piss you off (and usually succeeding) is a hassle.

- Generic Enemies that can magically block ANYTHING, thus leading to an unnecessary 30 second to a couple minute dual with just a regular minion. This includes COUNTERING.

- Swarms. I hate swarms...I never saw the appeal in enemies that keep coming and keep coming, whether it be a bunch of f'n buglike enemies or soldiers.

- Respawning enemies. I'm looking at DOOM's Nightmare mode here. Bad enough that it's a Nightmare to survive...let's have some of your enemies respawn too! Bad enough that Arch-Viles can pretty much do that anyways.

- Unnecessary Combat Sequences. Games like Disney's Bolt annoyed the hell out of me because I just wanted to get from Point A to Point B but NOPE, we're going to throw all sorts of enemies you have to combo-combo-combo for 2-3 minutes a battle to fill in space. SOOOO tiring.

- One hit kills and cheap moves. This applies to AI opponents in a race/challenge scenario as well, it's bad enough when you're playing on the hardest mode and most anything can deal a lot of damage...how about we give the enemy/boss a one hit kill that they SPAM LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW (which, if you beat the enemy, is typically the case as they DIE). Then there's cheap moves...basically you're going along, trying to survive then the enemy does something really effin' cheap like heal themselves all the way to full HP just before you kill them. Maybe it's an opponent you're racing and they somehow get you stuck behind an obstacle that they pass through with no effort. Or they glitch through something allowing them to win.

- On the subject of the last point...REGENERATING HEALTH AND HEALS. Fighting an enemy that's being a pain in the ass? Took away half its health? No problem, it'll heal itself! Or maybe it's already been healing itself this whole time...OR MAYBE, it has a move that gives it regen! Regardless...PAIN IN THE ASS.

- Enemies that block all the damn time...because I felt it was worth mentioning again.

ELEMENTAL/POLARITY/WHATEVER CHANGING ENEMIES. Oh my god...I hate going in to attack something only for it to CHANGE IT'S TYPE and you can't damage it with whatever you were going to hit it with. It's like putting up a shield but WORSE. Ubisoft seems to LOVE to do this.

Last but not least....BUTTON MASHER ENEMIES. This can be anything from a boss to a character you have to spin the control stick on...I FUCKING HATE IT. Get grabbed by a zombie?! TWIRL THE STICK. Enter an action sequence? HIT THIS BUTTON, THAT BUTTON, DON'T FUCK IT UP OR THERE GOES HALF YOUR HEALTH! THE ONLY, ONLY SAVING GRACE TO THIS SHIT IS THAT IT LOOKS COOL........THE FIRST TIME YOU DO IT. BUT WHEN IT KEEPS REPEATING ON MULTIPLE ENEMIES OR IN ONE BOSS FIGHT IT JUST GETS TIRESOME.

POST 2 COMING UP!

Now...I should move onto specific enemies:

- Ahriman Soldiers in Prince of Persia (2008) -

These guys are basically "mini-bosses"...and they only other enemies in the game aside from the Corrupted (the four bosses). They're not just simple guys you can run up to and wack a few times to kill...nope, every single generic enemy is a mini-boss with its own health bar that REGENERATES if you fuck up a button mashing sequence. The bosses regen health too but...these guys regen it to full. When you're just trying to run from point A to point B to get Light Seeds or move to another area and then you're forced into fighting these guys, it's a pain in the ass. AND THEY GET HARDER CAUSE THEY START FUCKING CHANGING THEIR TYPES CONSTANTLY. I can't pull off any goddamn combos worth a damn because the enemy keeps changing to a "Magic-Only" type thus all I can do is hit Y and string a shitty combo, rather than my XXXYXYAYXYBAYX combo! Strike em once? THEY SWITCH RIGHT BACK INTO THE MODE. And god if they can't block EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN' SWING...pieces of shit!

Only thing that is good about them is that if you're quick enough, you can kill them before they spawn. But if you eff' that up you're kickng yourself because now you gotta fight a pointless mini-boss...

- UBCS/Spec Ops/USS in Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City -

I hear the argument that "WELL HERPADERPDERP THERE'S HUMAN ENEMIES IN RE4/RE5 DUUUUUUUURP"...because they're sticking these guys in the same league as Ganados/Majini. Yeah...right. First off, they're parasite-infected humans that technically makes them BOWs. Second, they're not NEARLY as cheap as these assholes.

A regular human soldier is not something I expected to fight in a Resident Evil title...yet, here they are. And the very first fucking mission is nothing but them (and G-Birkin but...that's not the point). For anyone new to this game you cannot grasp the controls enough to actually be worth a damn against these guys...the aiming takes practice through the campaign...and this intro mission is HORRIBLE for that. First and foremost: headshots don't kill them right away, even with a sniper. In any other game if you shoot a human character in the face with a sniper rifle...IT'S GOING TO KILL THEM. Don't care what difficulty it's on...IN THIS GAME YOU CAN SHOOT THEM ANYWHERE UP TO 7 TIMES IN THE FACE WITH A PRECISION RIFLE AND THEY STILL-WILL-NOT-DIE. Of course that's probably because the hit box is BUMFUCKSTUPID. It's counting like 80% of their skull as part of their body, which for everyone's information, is a TANK to bullets. Second...THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM IN THE DAMN GAME. The only mission in the regular campaign where they are barely present at all is the 6th one and there are 4 of them there! Every other mission throws them at you in swarms of one way or the other.

I played the game to kill ZOMBIES and BOWs, not SPEC OPS. Deja Vu typing this bit right now for some reason...anyways, I 1500'd this game twice (on a second gamertag) and will probably 1000 it on the PC as well...but it doesn't change that I hate these guys. And the USS are even HARDER in the Spec Ops campaign. Plus they throw an elite soldier at you, who can take even MORE damage.

- Gargantuar and Imps in Plants vs. Zombies -

The other zombies aren't so bad...with a well planted yard, you can kill almost anything and survive for waves. These guys come in and mess everything up. First they can stomp any plant you own. Second...they take a lot of damage to kill. Third...they carry IMPS, these fucking little bastards they toss that can go all the way to your plants near the house and start chewing on them! Sure they only take like 5 hits to kill but when you are on Wave 40 of Infinite survival and 10 imps are being thrown at you...IT'S HECTIC. And those goddamn RED EYE GIGAS....ugh...

- Arch-Viles in DOOM/DOOM II/Final DOOM -

It's been awhile since DOOM III so I can't speak on that but...these guys are assholes. They can revive all sorts of monsters that you already killed and their attack is ANNOYING AS HELL. A bright fucking flame fills your screen that explodes and sends you flying up...yeah you can avoid it if you run for cover but it's still heavily annoying.

- Every Enemy in Disney's Bolt -

For a reason mentioned in the previous post...every single encounter is a 2-3 minute ordeal of fighting. Just soo many damn enemies...when all I want is to 1000 the game and be done with it! (already done with it)

- Schmoo from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night/Demon Castle X: Nocturne in the Moonlight -

For the simple reason of farming them for Valmanways/Crissagrims. WTF. So annoying.

- Motaro from Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 -

I could own his shit in the first round...then the second round he's fucking MY shit up. Third round he's still being a punk ass bitch and a pain in the goddamn ass all the way. Spent waaaay longer on him than I shoulda...and Shao Kahn's a bitch too, a pain in the ass bitch.

- Metal Gear Rays in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty -

Extreme Mode. Nuff' said.

- Soldiers in VR Missions for Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance -

Looking at those Variety ones especially...31+ guys to rush a box? And I have to snipe all of them?! And I get faced with constant failure at being unable to successfully win???...it's the only reason I won't start up MGSHD on my second tag. Best goddamn games...MGS2 and MGS3...but Virtually Impossible is SUCH A DICK. 1000'D it once, proud to have done it...

- AV-88 Harrier II from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty -

It's bad enough when you've got his pattern down...and you're on Extreme mode and then...even though you can dodge all his shit, some random bullshit happens and you get killed anyways. I mean seriously...WTF.

- Dr. Robotnik/Eggman's fourth machine in the E.G.G Station Zone during Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 -

Going for Untouchable is made fucking insane by this machine. Clearing robots 1-3 is just trial and error until you've got the pattern down, then they're nothing. THIS son of a bitch fucks everything up based on how he wants to throw his little balls at you. No set order, you can think you have a clear shot at him then suddenly...BIG BALL or...BOUNCY FAST BALL...or...SPIKE BALL. It's bad enough fucking up on his final robot cause of how cheap it gets when it enters the second phase...BUT THIS ONE, THIS ONE IS WHAT MADE THAT ACHIEVEMENT SOOO PAINFUL. Just because all it takes is like 4 hits to beat it...AND ONE TINY FUCKUP CAN MAKE YOU RESTART OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

- Survivor AI in Dead Rising -

Not an enemy...to Frank...but to me. This...the AI...it's beyond broken. Anyone who has played Dead Rising (the first game, not the godly viking warriors in DR2 or the normal folks in OTR) KNOWS how atrocious the AI is. Want them to follow you? RUN INTO A PACK OF ZOMBIES AND/OR A PSYCHOPATH TO DIE =DDD...try to save them? PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE AND RUN INTO MORE ZOMBIES TO GET EATEN ALIVE. Want to get moving? RUN BACK AND FORTH PRACTICALLY IN PLACE BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FIGURE OUT THAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO RUN. Then...GET EATEN BY ZOMBIES.

- Rocket Launcher/Laser Turrets in N+ -

Navigating through red mines and all other shit is bad enough...but when you've got to dodge those little red dot to laser shots + a bunch of rockets on your ass...IT'S JUST DOWNRIGHT UNFAIR. ...too tired to vent properly...

That's just from this generation...I might make another post later for the last gen monstrosities. Note: Some games mentioned above are from previous generations but are on XBLA/Retail, so I included them here. I neglected to mention a few but...they don't typically piss me off as much as these.

I will say that in the OP's post he mentioned a boss in Splosion Man with many minions...yeah, I HATE THAT FUCKING BOSS. It's bad enough that it's annoying...BUT IT'S DISGUSTING AS HELL TO LOOK AT. God I hated fighting it just because of how nasty looking it is...I mean there's "nasty" and then there's "BLECK" barf-material...this is a bunch of food that's meant to be tasty stuck together and I swear just watching it eat itself is.........IT'S JUST HORRENDOUS.

- Ahriman Soldiers in Prince of Persia (2008) -

These guys are basically "mini-bosses"...and they only other enemies in the game aside from the Corrupted (the four bosses). They're not just simple guys you can run up to and wack a few times to kill...nope, every single generic enemy is a mini-boss with its own health bar that REGENERATES if you fuck up a button mashing sequence. The bosses regen health too but...these guys regen it to full. When you're just trying to run from point A to point B to get Light Seeds or move to another area and then you're forced into fighting these guys, it's a pain in the ass. AND THEY GET HARDER CAUSE THEY START FUCKING CHANGING THEIR TYPES CONSTANTLY. I can't pull off any goddamn combos worth a damn because the enemy keeps changing to a "Magic-Only" type thus all I can do is hit Y and string a shitty combo, rather than my XXXYXYAYXYBAYX combo! Strike em once? THEY SWITCH RIGHT BACK INTO THE MODE. And god if they can't block EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN' SWING...pieces of shit!

Only thing that is good about them is that if you're quick enough, you can kill them before they spawn. But if you eff' that up you're kickng yourself because now you gotta fight a pointless mini-boss...

I will say that in the OP's post he mentioned a boss in Splosion Man with many minions...yeah, I HATE THAT FUCKING BOSS. It's bad enough that it's annoying...BUT IT'S DISGUSTING AS HELL TO LOOK AT. God I hated fighting it just because of how nasty looking it is...I mean there's "nasty" and then there's "BLECK" barf-material...this is a bunch of food that's meant to be tasty stuck together and I swear just watching it eat itself is.........IT'S JUST HORRENDOUS.

I lol'd at reading your post then the 3 word one that followed. XD

Anyways the PoP mini bosses could get pretty annoying, but I don't think they were that bad overall. Then again I don't remember the game in much depth, maybe you're right and it's suppressed memories. (Though with me it's more likely just forgetting. >_>). I do remember the rush to kill them pre-spawn though, now that you mention it.

And yeah, +1 on the Splosion' Man comment. I obviously didn't go too well with that boss, so I had to retry it a fair few times. And seeing that disgusting shit every time didn't exactly improve my opinion of the boss. The game is good overall though, that was just a weak point.

Edited by hydrosugar

I lol'd at reading your post then the 3 word one that followed. XD

Anyways the PoP mini bosses could get pretty annoying, but I don't think they were that bad overall. Then again I don't remember the game in much depth, maybe y ou're right and it's suppressed memories. (Though with me it's more likely just forgetting. >_>). I do remember the rush to kill them pre-spawn though, now that you mention it.

They weren't so bad in the beginning. It's once they start blocking every swipe of your sword and switching types after your combo ends that it gets annoying. I don't mind the ones that switch to the melee one as much as I do the magic...because I can't get a great combo out of the magic one. Regardless...having to sit through a pointless fight that's irritating is what makes me really mad when I screwup trying to get to the spawn point in time.

Another quick add...

- Medusa Heads in most Castlevania titles -

Infinite spawn...zigzag pattern and some (not all) are capable of turning you to stone. The ONLY reason I ever die on Castlevania: HOD Chapter 6 hard is because of a bad run with yellow medusa heads that keep turning me to stone. Fucking Medusa Heads...die in one hit but if you get swarmed, you'z fucked in HOD. Not so much in Symphony of the Night...

- Every Enemy in Disney's Bolt -

For a reason mentioned in the previous post...every single encounter is a 2-3 minute ordeal of fighting. Just soo many damn enemies...when all I want is to 1000 the game and be done with it! (already done with it)

Y E SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

For a Disney game there was nothing that tested my half asleep skills like this game. :p

My most annoying enemy ever was Ripto from Spyro: Ripto's Rage. I was 5 and it took me upwards 6+ months of constantly playing this game to finally beat him. I. HATE. RIPTO. Even now, I get NO satisfaction from his boss fight. At all. I'm glad he dies in the molten lava after I blast the crap out of him from his stupid, ugly bird-thing. D:<

Second and undoubtedly more recent? I don't care if it's 'easy' to other people, but I cannot stand fighting Demyx for the first time in Kingdom Hearts 2. I CAN'T STAND IT. He took me about two months to finally figure out how to beat and he just had this way of just making me rage so hard when he killed me over and over and over again. He's the only one I ever really had trouble with, too, which blows my mind. But, yeah. I hate fighting him with a fiery passion.

I think I've only become properly angry at two sets of enemies, the first were the Big Cluckers [birds that popped out of the tree] in Banjo-Kazooie's Click Clock Wood during Autumn.

It was specifically the three in a row where below each there was a slope which you slid down then fell all the way back to the bottom, for some reason no matter how I tried to alter my timing the bastards always managed to knock me down and I had to climb all the way back just to get knocked down again. Even trying to kill them when they popped out didn't work well.

Can't remember how I got past it eventually tbh.

The second would be anything in Brink.

Fucking awful game, I've played more polished betas.

I swear the AI is made in such a downright cunty way so that they could force you into playing their multiplayer side because as it was the last time I've played the single player was plain broken. The CPU could slaughter you easily and would halt you at chokepoints whilst you were stuck with a team of AI that would make somebody with a lobotomy look like Nikola Tesla.

Although any CPU in Soul Calibur V is a royal pain in the arse simply because they're cheap, spamming shitheads to be frank about it. In my experience of that game you can beat them a couple of times but then they'll just spam the same move over and over. Perfect example was the last time I played one character decked me then just kept kicking me so I couldn't get up.

CoD: WaW also deserves a mention due to its infinitely-spawning, super-accurate grenade machines.

Any of the bosses in Deus Ex - Poorly designed junk made by somebody that had no idea what Deus Ex was about and so turned them into shitty action bits.

Any enemy in Space Marine - I just got bored of it tbh. 'Oh, look! Another horde of enemies to be killed! This is obviously still fun after the 50th time of that this chapter!'

TL;DR

Banjo-Kazooie - Big Cluckers

Brink - Any

Soul Calibur V - Spamming CPU

CoD:WaW - Any

Deus Ex - Bosses

Space Marine - Any

There's more than this but these are the ones just off the top of my head.