Games that didnt live up to the hype?

brokensaint82

What games can you think of that didnt live up to the hype that was placed on them? I know theres gonna be a LOT of MW2 on here, but I wanna throw out Blue Dragon. i was really excited when the game was announced as it looked like one of the Dragon Warrior RPG's but was severly dissapointed by the demo, which led me to not gaf about the retail version. Same with DMC4 I'm a big fan of DMC but yeah 4 just was not fun at all.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with DMC4, like they coulda done without Nero.. I wanted more Dante gameplay at the end of the day..

Naughty Bear too, I loved the trailers of it before hand, but I have read some reviews and now know why they don't show much gameplay as it is repetitive and boring =/ I was planning to get on launch too, glad I didnt, if anything I'll get it when its in the bargain bin.

The games Im looking forward to now are Vanquish and Fable III, hope they live up to their hype.

I agree with DMC4, like they coulda done without Nero.. I wanted more Dante gameplay at the end of the day..

Naughty Bear too, I loved the trailers of it before hand, but I have read some reviews and now know why they don't show much gameplay as it is repetitive and boring =/ I was planning to get on launch too, glad I didnt, if anything I'll get it when its in the bargain bin.

The games Im looking forward to now are Vanquish and Fable III, hope they live up to their hype.

Fable 3 will be a mixed bag I think , I love 1 & 2 but Moleniux made promises he couldnt keep with either, didnt take away for me cause both were still great, but you know there will be haters out there who'll say the game sucks cause they didnt get what he said they would.

Specifically in my case, at this very moment, Crackdown 2.

Has anyone else noticed that it is the exact same game as the first? I was expecting something new, something innovative. Something, uh, fun. Then again, I've only dabbled with the demo. Someone convince me that it's worth it to buy the full game. :/

Specifically in my case, at this very moment, Crackdown 2.

Has anyone else noticed that it is the exact same game as the first? I was expecting something new, something innovative. Something, uh, fun. Then again, I've only dabbled with the demo. Someone convince me that it's worth it to buy the full game. :/

Well, why would you want them to change the formula that works?

Look at Final Fantasy for example. Everyone (or most everyone) says that Final Fantasy took a plunge after 7, that's because 8 changed the battle system, 9 went back to it (a little too late) and the 10, 10-2, and 12 all changed the battle system and level systems.

If you change the formula, the game gets worse, if you keep the same formula, such as games like Gears of War, Call of Duty, Rock Band, and now Crackdown are doing, then you are adding a guarantee that hopefully you will have pleased the same amount of audience as previously...

Crackdown 2, while it is the same, I find enough different for me to have some new fun. But, with more people for co-op there are more things that are fun only in co-op.

When I rented MW2 around the time it came out, I just couldn't really get into it. The single-player was really boring, and the online was glitched to hell. The private game boosting also really put me off.

@Judivarious - You shouldn't keep the same formula for too long,it gets real old. Like CoD. I find it that if they make changes over time it can be a less-painful transition. Drastic changes work better for some games than others.

Well, why would you want them to change the formula that works?

Look at Final Fantasy for example. Everyone (or most everyone) says that Final Fantasy took a plunge after 7, that's because 8 changed the battle system, 9 went back to it (a little too late) and the 10, 10-2, and 12 all changed the battle system and level systems.

If you change the formula, the game gets worse, if you keep the same formula, such as games like Gears of War, Call of Duty, Rock Band, and now Crackdown are doing, then you are adding a guarantee that hopefully you will have pleased the same amount of audience as previously...

Something like that though is a blessing and a curse, a blessing that you have the familiar to work with but a curse that it doesnt really evolve the game, all that changes is setting a story.

I'm actually surprised about the abbundance of Fallout 3, i loved the game, but ofcourse I am an rpg fan so that could be part of it, but another game I thought of would be Bioshock 2, I mean for me i personaly didnt expect a lot out of it seing as how the first one was a damn good game and one of the best on 360. I've tried it on a friends 360 and it just idk left me feeling flat.

And as far as SAW goes, i didnt expect anything from that, the first 2 movies were good, but after that the blood well ran dry, TNA: meh its not SvR and never will be, Lost planet I found mild amusment in, Sonic I havent held hope for since Sonic and Knuckles and Too Human i had looked forward to and god was I let down.

Edited by brokensaint82

For me, the games i bought based on hype and found very disappointing were....

Saw: The Game

TNA Impact

Lost Planet

Sonic The Hedgehog

Too Human

Agree or Disagree??

SAW:The Game

I didn't have high hopes for Saw just because it's base on a movie and for some reason Game base on movies suck.

TNA Impact

TNA had it's problem's because it came out around the time that Midway was die so it could of been rushed, so they could make some money, Also the work that THQ did to SvR has place a high standard on wrestling games. I my option TNA should try to get THQ to make there games.

Sonic the Hedgehog

I loved Sonic, and it's sad to see him suffer. I think the main problem is that SEGA does not know what direction to take Sonic in. So we get these games were it's not all thought out right.

I haven't played lost Planet and Too human so I can't say anything about them. I also would like to add Two worlds to the list. In that's my 2 cents.

I was kinda let down with FF13.

I did like the game, but like someone else said, I watched the videos before hand and it made it look amazing.

I had the FF13 console pre-ordered on Amazon. But ended up picking the game up release day so I cancelled the console. (Glad I did now, they dropped over $100 right after, and now the slims are out)

It was alright, I hadn't played a FF since FF9, which I Loved. So I guess I didn't know what to expect anyways.

I have to say that Eternal Darkness for the GC never won me over, even though everyone and their mothers loved it. I'll admit that the freak-out system (i dont remember the specific name) was cool and all, but in the end the only thing it accomplished was to put me to sleep...